The Dark Mod Forums

Dmap leak

Nielsen74

So I´v startede dabling with the TDM Doomeditor mellow.gif First I want to thank all involvede in makeing The Dark Mod Thanks smile.gif

next I´v got a problem (not the first time wacko.gif ) with a map I´m working on, while dmaping there is a leak warning

2133 flooded leafs

entity reached from outside...nofilling

WARNING*******leaked******

...leakFile...

3 point linefile

0 total shadow triangles

0 total shadow verts

15 seconds for dmap

...........WARNINGS....................

during running dmap

ohmy.gif not the first time I´v had one!, so I go back to DarkRadiant thinking that I´l just use the pointfile tool to find the leak and deel with it! BUT all I get is this httpi3.photobucket.comalbumsy96Nielsen74NOpointfile.jpg

can anyone pleace tell me how to get the pointfile tool to work again mellow.gif

So I´v startede dabling with the TDM Doomeditor mellow.gif First I want to thank all involvede in makeing The Dark Mod Thanks smile.gif

next I´v got a problem (not the first time wacko.gif ) with a map I´m working on, while dmaping there is a leak warning

2133 flooded leafs

entity reached from outside...nofilling

WARNING*******leaked******

...leakFile...

3 point linefile

0 total shadow triangles

0 total shadow verts

......................................... ...................

15 seconds for dmap

...........WARNINGS....................

during running dmap

ohmy.gif not the first time I´v had one!, so I go back to DarkRadiant thinking that I´l just use the pointfile tool to find the leak and deel with it! BUT all I get is this httpi3.photobucket.comalbumsy96Nielsen74NOpointfile.jpg%20can%20anyone%20pleace%20tell%20me%20how%20to%20get%20the%20pointfile%20tool%20to%20work%20again%20mellow.gif

You probably have an entitity outside in the void. Scroll up on the dmap leak message and find the entity number. It will be something like "Leaked on entity... 2000 (or whatever number)". Then, in DR, under the "map" tab, click "find brush". In find brush, under "entity", type in the entity number (that the dmap specified). Hopefully you will find that you have an entity of which has an origin outside of your map.

Hope this wasn't too confusing.

GC

If all else fails, what I've done is put a temporary huge caulk brush over large sections of the map. If the map compiles OK, then the leak must be somewhere within that giant caulk brush.

Reduce the size of the brush, dmap again to see if it leaks. If no leak, reduce the size of the giant caulk brush and dmap.

If it leaks, use deductive reasoning to find out where the hole might be.

Oftentimes, I find that during this process of giant-caulk-brushing, I'll eventually get a leak point linefile to look at in DR. Otherwise, just guess and check. Even for a huge Thief 1-sized map, this process has never taken me over 25 minutes.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

NOpointfile.jpg

There´s the pic blush.gif

@Mortem Desino

Yer that´s what I do too to find the problem area! and this time it was a tunnel I´v made from brush´s so I´v deletede that and redon it and now I can Dmap the map!!!

But I still hav the problem with Dmap not makeing the .lin file for the pointfile tool to work wacko.gif

I had a similar issue.

DR complained about not finding the pointfile, when I looked for it myself I couldn't find it either. I blamed my stupid setup for this (outdated DR from the repo under linux, linux-doom is not on the default path but on another NTFS-drive).

But now I am curious: Pointfiles are supposed to work, are they?

:huh:

@Nielsen74: Remember that only brushes seal off the void. Patches will not seal off a hole into the void.

Yeah, It's weird. Pointfiles have worked for me. If I make a testmap with an obvious hole into the void, I may or may not get a pointfile. If I take my WIP and create a hole, I may or may not get a pointfile. If I had spare time, I'd ask some of the smart folk at the doom3mod wiki or forums about this.

Yes pointfiles do work, however with the current setup of each FM being a mod-to-the-mod, the pointfile will be created in the FM directory, instead of the darkmod directory. So Doom3/Thieves/blah instead of Doom3/darkmod/blah. DR does not look into these directories. That can be confusing :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

This is likely because you are launching Dark Mod using tdmlauncher. Instead, create a shortcut directly to Doom3.exe for developing and testing your own FMs then the point file will go in your map folder. Just use tdmlauncher for playing FMs.

Could you explain how to do this please? Would this solve the leaks as well? I'm quite certain that I don't have anything outside the void, except for wall brushes, but it still gives a leak warning.

Edit: I do have metal gates for a balcony outside the void, and I haven't build anything else outside yet, so could it be that this causes leaks?

Edited by Carnage

If you select any entity such as the gates you can see the origin shown by the three colour lines radiating along the xyz axes. If that origin is in the void then yes, that will be a leak.

To create a shortcut to Doom3.exe for developing maps in the common darkmod\maps folder (and subfolders within it,) right click it in Explorer and select properties.

In the target field it should have eg, C:\doom3\Doom3.exe

Add to that +set fs_game darkmod so it reads

C:\doom3\Doom3.exe +set fs_game darkmod

If you now dmap it should create the pointfile in the same folder as your map file and so you should be able to load it into Dark Radiant. Then follow the red line to find the leak.

Well if I set the path by right clicking the icon on desktop to

"C:\Program Files\DOOM 3\Doom3.exe +set fs_game darkmod"

"C:\Program Files\DOOM 3\Doom3.exe" being the path to my DOOM 3 folder

I get a error that tells my that the folder don´t eksist sad.gif

So what am I doing wrong?

Well if I set the path by right clicking the icon on desktop to

"C:\Program Files\DOOM 3\Doom3.exe +set fs_game darkmod"

"C:\Program Files\DOOM 3\Doom3.exe" being the path to my DOOM 3 folder

I get a error that tells my that the folder don´t eksist sad.gif

So what am I doing wrong?

You have to put the +set after the quotations. So it would be:

"C:\Program Files\Doom 3\Doom3.exe" +set fs_game darkmod

Then it should work.

you can put entities in the void if you add 'noflood 1' to them.

Yeah, but do you know how much that kills performance, and how unreliable the entities will act? Besides, there's no good reason to put a light, an AI, a door, an arrow, or loot in the void where the player can't access it!