The Dark Mod Forums

The Dark Mod Grand Christmas FM Contest!

Fidcal

Why I chose midnight I don't know because I'll be fast asleep - so closing a few hours early I refreshed every poll and froze them at about 7:00pm GMT.

The Christmas contest is now complete!

It has been a great success not only for the enjoyment provided but to help kickstart new FMs and give new FM makers experience and confidence without wasting that effort on overly ambitious projects without realizing all that is involved.

First off that I must say that the standard is much better than I anticipated and that many would underestimate the time it takes to finish off. But everyone has surpassed my expectations and independently produced really good finished, playable missions. I know we said before that it is possible to produce a small FM in a month but all of the entrants were completely new to Dark Mod and its editor Dark Radiant and some have never made an FM before even in Thief! So it is outstanding what has been achieved and really encouraging for the future.

There were 6 entrants in the competition. At least a couple more FMs were also made that I wished had been in too.

Everybody got a pass mark. But the winner, sweeping the board in all categories, is:

Return to the City by Melan!

Congratulations to Melan for a great FM; more to come we hope!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are the final details (triple-checked but check 'em again if you like):

Each vote is calculated as 1 point for poor up to 5 points for outstanding.

Each category is weighted as follows:

Gameplay: 3 points per vote

Appearance: 2 points per vote

Story & Text: 1 point per vote

The total number of votes does not matter so long as there is a good sample for everyone. The score is a calculated percentage of the maximum possible for the given votes calculated as follows:

Total Points = (gameplay * 3) + (Appearance * 2) + (Story * 1)

Max Possible = Total Votes * 5 (Outstanding)

Category Score (%) = Category Points /Max Possible * 100

Total Score (%) = Total Points /Total Max Possible * 100

Here are the scores (in no particular order)...

[Re-calcuated by Stifu for weighting]

TotalMaxPoss = TMP = (Gamevotes * 5 * 3) + (Visualvotes * 5 * 2) + (Storyvotes * 5)

Because all category specific votecounts are equal, this equation simplifies to:

TMP = Gamevotes * 5 * (3+2+1) = Gamevotes * 30

Full Weighted Score = FWS = (Gamescore*3 + Visualscore*2 + Storyscore) / TotalMaxPoss

Here are the Full Weighted Scores

Bikerdude:

TMP = 30*30 = 900

FWS = (106*3 + 101*2 + 97)/900 = 68.56%

Carnage:

TMP = 35*30 = 1050

FWS = (102*3 + 93*2 + 109)/1050 = 57.23%

Sonosuke:

TMP = 49*30 = 1470

FWS = (183*3 + 178*2 + 167)/1470 = 72.93%

Melan:

TMP = 45 *30 = 1350

FWS = (176*3 + 201*2 + 171)/1350 =81.56%

Xonze:

TMP = 47*30 = 1410

FWS = (144*3 + 154*2 + 133)/1410 = 61.91%

Nielsen74:

TMP = 49*30 = 1470

FWS = (168*3 + 168*2 + 139)/1470 =66.60%

Gameplay ranking:

1) Melan 78.22%

2) Sonosuke 74.69%

3) Bikerdude 70.67%

4) Nielsen74 68.57%

5) Xonze 61.28%

6) Carnage 58.29%

Visual ranking:

1) Melan 89.33%

2) Sonosuke 72.65%

3) Nielsen74 68.57%

4) Bikerdude 67.33%

5) Xonze 65.53%

6) Carnage 53.14%

Story ranking:

1) Melan 76.00%

2) Sonosuke 68.16%

3) Bikerdude 64.67%

4) Carnage 62.29%

5) Nielsen 56.73%

6) Xonze 56.60%

And -- thank you all for playing, voting, and making missions I enjoyed. This was great fun. :)

Now, after I finish the mission update (it is taking longer than I thought), it will be time to do something even better. TDM can do it, and I hope so can I. :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Congrats to all participants. You're clearly all winners!! :)

But you didn't actually weight the scores according to you upper proposal, Fidcal.

TotalMaxPoss = TMP = (Gamevotes * 5 * 3) + (Visualvotes * 5 * 2) + (Storyvotes * 5)

Because all category specific votecounts are equal, this equation simplifies to:

TMP = Gamevotes * 5 * (3+2+1) = Gamevotes * 30

Full Weighted Score = FWS = (Gamescore*3 + Visualscore*2 + Storyscore) / TotalMaxPoss

Here are the Full Weighted Scores

Bikerdude:

TMP = 30*30 = 900

FWS = (106*3 + 101*2 + 97)/900 = 68.56%

Carnage:

TMP = 35*30 = 1050

FWS = (102*3 + 93*2 + 109)/1050 = 57.23%

Sonosuke:

TMP = 49*30 = 1470

FWS = (183*3 + 178*2 + 167)/1470 = 72.93%

Melan:

TMP = 45 *30 = 1350

FWS = (176*3 + 201*2 + 171)/1350 =81.56%

Xonze:

TMP = 47*30 = 1410

FWS = (144*3 + 154*2 + 133)/1410 = 61.91%

Nielsen74:

TMP = 49*30 = 1470

FWS = (168*3 + 168*2 + 139)/1470 =66.60%

As you can see, the differences are only minor though, so no harm occurred.

@Fidcal: I hereby give you the chance to correct it yourself over at ttlg to save you the embarrassment... :P

Edited by STiFU

Thanks Stifu and apologies for that. I checked and recalculated 3 or 4 ways to try not to make a mistake but I'd copied and pasted from something I knocked up quickly months ago and never used or checked. As you say, fortunately it made only small differences that didn't affect the outcome. I'll post your calculations over mine.

Some might still be interested in the category scores though, which you now deleted. In case you don't have them anymore now, I made rankings yesterday, just out of curiousity.

Gameplay ranking:

1) Melan 78.22%

2) Sonosuke 74.69%

3) Bikerdude 70.67%

4) Nielsen74 68.57%

5) Xonze 61.28%

6) Carnage 58.29%

Visual ranking:

1) Melan 89.33%

2) Sonosuke 72.65%

3) Nielsen74 68.57%

4) Bikerdude 67.33%

5) Xonze 65.53%

6) Carnage 53.14%

Story ranking:

1) Melan 76.00%

2) Sonosuke 68.16%

3) Bikerdude 64.67%

4) Carnage 62.29%

5) Nielsen 56.73%

6) Xonze 56.60%

Some might still be interested in the category scores though, which you now deleted. In case you don't have them anymore now, I made rankings yesterday, just out of curiousity.

Thanks, but I think this is not really important, all authors did a very good job, you could see that everyone had his own strength and if you think that for the most FM authors this was the first map, its even more impressive.

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

So, just out of interest, is any of the contestants working on another map? I know that Bikerdude is up to something, but what about the others?

I am still working on the update to my contest map, which is slow going due to IRL work and low enthusiasm. After that, I've already got a concept for my next project.

[edit]Ha! New user title! :ph34r:[/edit]

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Thanks, but I think this is not really important, all authors did a very good job, you could see that everyone had his own strength and if you think that for the most FM authors this was the first map, its even more impressive.

Yeah, I know. I wasn't even gonna post it originally, but when I saw that Fidcal (accidentally?) deleted the category scores, I posted them anyway, so that the scores aren't lost...

Yes, I was highly impressed by all the missions released, to see what could be accomplished in such a little amount of time by relative newcomers (to TDM, at least). I can't wait to see what the next generation of missions will bring. :)

Once we finally get that update out (still working on the packaging issues) I'll have to get back to my own first map. :)

Congrats to the mappers!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

On the other hand, it's not exactly positive that TDM didn't even get an honourable mention in MODDB's editors' choice for the best 2009 single player mod. Bah. <_<

On the other hand, it's not exactly positive that TDM didn't even get an honourable mention in MODDB's editors' choice for the best 2009 single player mod. Bah. <_<

Yeah very disappointing. Someone should send the "editor" a message.

Edit: But maybe it is not there because it actually won? Just kidding :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax