The Dark Mod Forums

moddb

ungoliant

Y... E... S... :) (that'll be good to keep the momentum going along with your mission uploads... I was thinking that since I already put download links on your release article, that I should upload a "Bikerdude Pack" with all 3 of your missions).

i'm not sure how i feel about mission packs on mmodb. I think all traffic for playable content should be directed to either the forums or the main TDM page with the downloads, to get those people in here.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I think the FMs should be on the normal mirrors and not moddb. (With v1.03 you will be able to download the from the menu,and I don't think that method supports moddb as mirror, anyway).

Speaking of that, we probably should remove the v1.00 download from moddb? Or leave these for historical reference and testing?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Well that brings up an interesting conundrum.

Moddb awards mods publicity for providing content.

We want publicity to attract help\talent for the mod.

I think we should play by their rules to some degree.

I agree, in general, that mission packs are bad because if there is a version change it's a PITA to fix 'em (but the moddb users like them... VERY popular...). I thought it would be a good promotional tie-in with the interview. :unsure:

Edit:

Maybe remove packs after a certain period of time?

Keep them guessing like a Fast Food movie tie-in promotion? (There is some psychology behind that approach).

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Yeah, I think the FMs should be on the normal mirrors and not moddb. (With v1.03 you will be able to download the from the menu,and I don't think that method supports moddb as mirror, anyway).

Speaking of that, we probably should remove the v1.00 download from moddb? Or leave these for historical reference and testing?

Yeah, we can remove those old versions since no FM is incompatible with v1.02. I would leave the early demo stuff for historical curiosity maybe (or until Fidcal finishes fixing Closemouthed Shadows).

With v1.03 you will be able to download the from the menu

Will you be able to update a mission thats already installed? If so, then I don't see why version 1.0 of all released missions shouldn't be uploaded to moddb for the publicity, and then users have an easy way to keep up to date from within TDM itself.

What we need to do is STRONGLY urge Moddb folk to visit our forums for Tips, Tricks, and insider information from the Mod developers... when we provide downloads.

(We also should use the "Jobs" listing tool :laugh: )

The market: I had to noclip there and even now I don't know how to enter this place without cheating.

This is where

a rope arrow to the top of the apothecary

can help a lot.

If you want to be neat and tidy,

you can retrieve your rope arrow after you get up, and use the garden stairs to get back down again.

Edited by pmw57

What we need to do is STRONGLY urge Moddb folk to visit our forums for Tips, Tricks, and insider information from the Mod developers... when we provide downloads.

What we need to do is move this derailment to a "TDM propaganda" thread and leave St. Alban's Cathedral alone.

This is the public thread where we discuss uploading things to moddb, updating the page there etc. It was split up from this thread:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/11872-fan-mission-st-albans-cathedral-01112010/

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Since having Moddb host FM's is contentious, we can stick to just articles, screens, and videos for now. We've got enough content ideas.

I just get the impression that they are more willing to promote mods that offer more downloads...

Maybe Fidcal's key brightener?

More mapper downloads like non-standard assets?

Anybody need a few HUNDRED beta testers for their map...?

(that might be a draw... but hopefully the unwashed wouldn't keep whining about the beta quality and loose the point of it...)

perhaps every new FM release from here on out should be "newsworthy" on moddb. Copy over the authors intro and screenshot from the FM thread in a news post over there.

Also: theres a TDM facebook page. perhaps more updates and support from TDM community could go there too. looks like the only resources available there are a screenshot from dead gathers and the way to blackheart manor video.

Twitter...?

I dunno if any devs wanna tweet their activities:

Example:

"Looking in Id Class 35SLX... "

"Found argument strings with 4 inheritances that are undocumented"

"...tracing to 20 associated root classes."

"Got frustrated... Watchin' funny youtubes"

:laugh:

Also: theres a TDM facebook page.

I'd update there more often but I'm not an admin.

got some stats of my own for moddb.

statsyy.jpg

So heres the deal. Most of the traffic we generate comes, in fact, from downloadable content. the D's on the chart are downloadable content made available on that day. From left to right: Thief's Den, St. Lucia, TDM 1.00, TDM 1.02.

Coincidently 1.02 was made available for download like 2 days before BD's interview, and a lot of that traffic was generated the day before the interview was released. So, unfortunately, it looks like downloads = traffic. Sorry BD. BTW the biggest spike that didn't have a marker on it: the october '09 year in review article by MODDB that featured the darkmod. Still not as many hits as putting up downloadable content. The kids have spoken.

edit: some other interesting stats. Since its upload to moddb, TDM 1.00 received a grand total of 1800 downloads, the corrected TDM 1.00 has 800 downloads, and in the past 4 days since its upload, 1.02 has got 59 downloads from moddb. How many others went to thedarkmod.com to download instead, i don't know, but probably a lot. Conversely, HL2 mods like retarded ass Zombie Master Black Edition 2, with almost 0 content on their page and a rating of 6.8 has like 12000 downloads since 2009. fucking tards.

I'd be pretty interested to see some stats on how many total downloads some of the more recently released FM's got between all the mirrors.

And i think that there seriously needs to be some kind of tutorial put up for "how to install TDM and FM's" put up in the tutorial section on the moddb page, because it seems a lot of those nincompoops can't figure it out. and probably lose interest in the mod after that due to lack of attention span.

Edited by ungoliant

And i think that there seriously needs to be some kind of tutorial put up for "how to install TDM and FM's" put up in the tutorial section on the moddb page, because it seems a lot of those nincompoops can't figure it out. and probably lose interest in the mod after that due to lack of attention span.

I just wanted to comment that the sneaking genre is not probably enjoyed by small-attention-span people anyway, but yeah, installing should be easy for technically handicapped individuals as well. But surely well-written instructions will suffice. I find video tutorials a bit ridiculous.

Putting mission downloads to moddb means yet another place, which needs to be remembered when mappers release updated versions of their maps. It truly is a good thing we are getting the ingame mission downloader.

On moddb:

A good step forward would be simply update moddb more often. If there is no steady supply of news, TDM appears dead in moddb. If there is frequent newsfeed, it seems to flourish. News content would be:

• mod news
  • released FM's should always be mentioned. Would it help to promote high-profile new missions in the thedarkmod.com main page as well? The main page updates quite seldom, creating a rather stagnant impression of the mod.
  • mapper/developer interviews every now and then.

Also when we have the mapping contests, I think it would be a good idea to spread the hype, anticipation and general circus which is visible at these forums to moddb as well..

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Twitter...?

I did create a steam group, but so far I don't know what to do with it:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/thedarkmod/

Anyone with a steam account wants to join?

got some stats of my own for moddb.

I too did such an image, but only posted it internal:

post-144-128938011523_thumb.png

edit: some other interesting stats. Since its upload to moddb, TDM 1.00 received a grand total of 1800 downloads, the corrected TDM 1.00 has 800 downloads, and in the past 4 days since its upload, 1.02 has got 59 downloads from moddb. How many others went to thedarkmod.com to download instead, i don't know, but probably a lot. Conversely, HL2 mods like retarded ass Zombie Master Black Edition 2, with almost 0 content on their page and a rating of 6.8 has like 12000 downloads since 2009. fucking tards.

Yeah, that's pretty the norm nowadays :( Anyway, I watched a few people play TDM, and you can bet that the attention-I-need-action-span has decreased to insane low levels... most didn't want to finish reading the readme, the briefing _or_ the first book in the training mission. All they wanted was to fight, fight, fight... *sigh*

I'd be pretty interested to see some stats on how many total downloads some of the more recently released FM's got between all the mirrors.

I think I could pull some values for the PK4s for bloodgate.com out.

I dunno if any devs wanna tweet their activities:

Example:

"Looking in Id Class 35SLX... "

"Found argument strings with 4 inheritances that are undocumented"

"...tracing to 20 associated root classes."

"Got frustrated... Watchin' funny youtubes"

:laugh:

Erm, how do you know my typical night goes? *puzzled look*

Yeah, downloads are the bread 'n butter AFAIK, it's probably the same business model as download.com eg. "Put stuff on the site, get eyeballs looking and clicking on advertisements".

Your basic pecking order is:

Air

Water

Food

( xxx ) ?

Downloads

Videos

Screen-Shots

Articles

It's all very primal, you can see that the stuff that is most popular requires the least thinking. But I wouldn't get too huffy about it, if someone told you about a new mod what would you do first to find out about it?

1) Watch the video

2) Read an Article about it

It's just naturally easier to give-in to your reptilian primordial instinct and look at the pretty pictures.

If FM's are off the plate (again... maybe temporary offerings ????), our next best option is videos of said FM's or videos of other cool stuff (Rich_is_Bored's Translucency...).

I agree that really compelling articles can foster a regular reader-ship but we need the other content to act like a Neon Sign screaming "come get yer goodies".

We can make an experiment. Write an article about Sotha's new FM. Only _three_ days later (or maybe more) upload it to moddb. If the article draws in X viewers (with a fast falloff the next day) and the download draws in Y viewers, we can see what X and Y are approximate.

I guess it also depends on who saw the mod page lately - I knew if I lok at moddb only once a week, I'd only see either the first or the last update but come not for both.

I dislike steam with a passion, due to their crap customer support, greedy attitude of newell & co.

I have no issue at all if we promote over there, but TDM need's to be first and format a stand alone product!

I really don't like (or use!) Steam either. But I figured even if there is only one person on Steam who never heard of TDM before, has (or buys) D3 and checks out TDM, it was worth the effort - the costs to use are abou zero (it took me 10 minutes to create the account and group).

As they say, there is no such thing as too much publicity :)

That's an excellent idea!

In the mean-time, hows that video coming Biker?

I can make my own if necessary... Or perhaps lowenz will post one (I'm kinda against posting his videos for the sake of spoilage without having a teaser version to go with them for folks who have yet to play the FM).