The Dark Mod Forums

Disabling Catalyst AI

nbohr1more

I finally had a chance to review the latest Rage3d details on this.

1) Remove Catalyst Control Center (removing all ATI drivers recommended then re-install just the Display driver)

2) Download and install "Radeon Pro"

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=322031

3) Create a profile as follows:

If you're using RadeonPro, create a profile for the game you want to disable Catalyst AI. Right-click the newly created profile, keep left shift key pressed and choose Open Location on context-menu, this will open the profile's XML definition. Append a new line and add entry like this

<Property name="CatalystAI" value="0" />

Save the file and start the game. CatalystAI should be disabled.

I also recommend to open ___GlobalProfile.xml (found on same directory where your profile is saved) and look for "CatalystAI" entry, it must be equal to "1" otherwise CatalystAI will be kept disabled after you exit your game.

CFX disabled by setting CatalystAI to 0

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have to loose functionality offered by CCC, that I used regularly, just for this one game :wacko: ... sob AMD, fix it!

Edited by Trunks0

-Trunks0

Asus Maximus Formula(X38) - Intel Core2Quad 8400 @ 3.2Ghz - 4Gb PC2-6400 OCZ Gold XTC/Corsair XMS2(@800mhz) -

16X8X16 DL 8X Pioneer DVR-111D DL DVD±RW - 320GB HD(Seagate 7200.10) - 640Gb Westerm Digital w/16Mb Cache -

2 x Crossfired PowerColor Radeon HD 5770's - Audigy2 - Windows 7 64

CFX disabled by setting CatalystAI to 0

What does CFX mean?

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

So I have to loose functionality offered by CCC, that I used regularly, just for this one game :wacko: ... sob AMD, fix it!

Well the profile would only be for Doom 3, so other games should be alright

What does CFX mean?

CFX = Crossfire X

(Eg. If you only have one video card, this has no relevance to you unless it's a monster multi-gpu card... )

Well the profile would only be for Doom 3, so other games should be alright

I wasn't very clear. I use the video options presented in CCC often, daily almost, as I use my PC for watching video allot. So by removing CCC, I would loose easy access to those options/settings.

Edited by Trunks0

-Trunks0

Asus Maximus Formula(X38) - Intel Core2Quad 8400 @ 3.2Ghz - 4Gb PC2-6400 OCZ Gold XTC/Corsair XMS2(@800mhz) -

16X8X16 DL 8X Pioneer DVR-111D DL DVD±RW - 320GB HD(Seagate 7200.10) - 640Gb Westerm Digital w/16Mb Cache -

I haven't had a chance to test this one either but some Doom3world folk are reporting that renaming the DOOM3.exe to darkathena.exe fixes these problems.

(Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena)

That shouldn't interfere if you launch TDM from the "Mods" menu in Doom 3 but I have no idea how tdmlauncher will react if you try to launch TDM directly... :unsure:

I haven't had a chance to test this one either but some Doom3world folk are reporting that renaming the DOOM3.exe to darkathena.exe fixes these problems.

(Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena)

That shouldn't interfere if you launch TDM from the "Mods" menu in Doom 3 but I have no idea how tdmlauncher will react if you try to launch TDM directly... :unsure:

Sneaky idea. This works, but has requires some monkeying around.

How I made it work.

1) First renamed the "Doom3.exe" to "darkathena.exe"

2) Copied a mission's *.PK4 file and save folder into the "darkmod" folder

3) Started up using "darkathena.exe"

4) launched the Dark Mod from the DOOM3 mod list

5) Got into the map/mission by selecting a previously saved game for the mission.

Not ideal of course, but works :)

Edited by Trunks0

-Trunks0

Yep. I took some of my own medicine and tested this.

Even my old Catalyst 9.10's work with this method. Catalyst AI Full and no artifacts or crashes.

It would be cool if TDM launcher could work with other executable names. I think in this case just having it recognize Doom3.exe or darkathena.exe would be great.

ATI should just make darkathena.exe the default Doom 3 driver profile. It's not like that old Humus fix really helps on modern GPU's and none of the hardware sites benchmark Doom 3 anymore. I dare say that folks are probably only playing Doom 3 with some mod applied these days anyway.

It would be cool if TDM launcher could work with other executable names. I think in this case just having it recognize Doom3.exe or darkathena.exe would be great.

Does this also work if you rename Doom3.exe to "TheDarkMod.exe"? If so, then we could add support for this name easily, and it would work in both cases. I'd rather not have "darkathena" or whatever, tho.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I'll test that tonight.

I presume that darkathena.exe's (Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena) profile has some additional performance benefits and Crossfire compatibility (so the full answer would be from someone with two or more GPU's ... Hint Hint Trunks0 ...)

^_^

Though it would be cool if ATI created a "TheDarkMod.exe" profile and optimized the hell out of it. I suppose they only do that for professional game publishers though ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$). Anyone want to start a paypal account to have some ATI negotiation funds... :laugh:

:)

Though it would be cool if ATI created a "TheDarkMod.exe" profile and optimized the hell out of it. I suppose they only do that for professional game publishers though ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$). Anyone want to start a paypal account to have some ATI negotiation funds... :laugh:

No, it would be better if they kept their fingers of the games/applications and NOT screw with them, esp. not just based on the executable name. Replacing shaders just because the application is named "doom3.exe" is simply a bad idea - as all the problems TDM has because of this shows.

We can certainly optimize things ourselves, without the graphic card vendor interfering just so they look better in benchmarks (I call this cheating...) :angry:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Yeah.

Shader replacement for Doom 3 has been controversial almost since before the game was released. I just keep hoping that ATI looks at better Hierarchical-Z or overdraw improvements for Id Tech 4 but I suppose those should be for OpenGL overall anyway rather than be target to just Id games.

It's a shame that PowerVR got chased out of the Desktop market. Now engines like UE3 essentially do a deferred rendering "visibility check" pass in software rather than where it belongs (in the hardware).

How messed up is that?

An engine developer hacking together a better overdraw prevention method than the hardware vendor's own driver team? Bleck!

Another example from an experimental engine from an Intel employee which (again) does the overdraw reduction work for the hardware vendor:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=58180

Then again, PowerVR's patents may be tying some hands here as well...

I wonder how long until PowerVR tries suing UE3 for it's deferred approach... :rolleyes:

From what I remember when I was trying to give AMD the exact fix, the doom3 profile doesnt actually require the executable name at all, it's some kind of special case which is constantly in effect and looks some other tech4 related things (it also hits Prey), I guess by renaming it to darkathena you just disable the Surface Format Opt section since it avoids using two profiles. Disabling CatAI completely on new cards will cause trouble in other games, a few new games _require_ it be enabled.

Bizzaro stuff, I just wish the customer got all the options at the end of the day ;/

TDM coders, is there an easy way for you to implement an option in the tdmlauncher.exe where you can choose the executable? I don't really want to switch back to the old Catalyst, and if it's something like a one-line change in the source code, I'd really appreciate if you would do it.

What do you mean switch back to the old executable? Do you mean the previous build of TDM? You wouldn't be able to play any new FM's if you did that.

If you don't want to disable Catalyst or switch back to the previous one, you can disable post processing and then everything should look alright...unless I'm misunderstanding what you're asking?

unless I'm misunderstanding what you're asking?

He wants it so that the launcher config file could have something like

[Compatability]
DoomExe="C:\doom3\notdoom3.exe" //argh why is IPB so terrible at breaking formatting in code blocks ;/

Which would then be used instead of the default one at "../DOOM3.exe"

In this way it would be possible to rename the executable to get around some driver issues.

argh.gif IPB argh.gif

I have confirmed that any rename of the Doom3.exe file will eliminate the Catalyst AI issues. As for Crossfire, that will have to be tested by someone else... ;)

Does this also work if you rename Doom3.exe to "TheDarkMod.exe"? If so, then we could add support for this name easily, and it would work in both cases. I'd rather not have "darkathena" or whatever, tho.

I'll test that tonight.

I presume that darkathena.exe's (Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena) profile has some additional performance benefits and Crossfire compatibility (so the full answer would be from someone with two or more GPU's ... Hint Hint Trunks0 ...)

^_^

Though it would be cool if ATI created a "TheDarkMod.exe" profile and optimized the hell out of it. I suppose they only do that for professional game publishers though ($$ $$ $). Anyone want to start a paypal account to have some ATI negotiation funds... :laugh:

:)

Renaming it to "TheDarkMod.exe" cause's Doom3 to crash upon starting up. Both with crossfire enabled & disabled :(

Edited by Trunks0

-Trunks0

He wants it so that the launcher config file could have something like

[Compatability]
DoomExe="C:\doom3\notdoom3.exe" //argh why is IPB so terrible at breaking formatting in code blocks ;/

Which would then be used instead of the default one at "../DOOM3.exe"

tdmlauncher accepts the path to DOOM3.exe (or whatever.exe) as command line argument, this is working already.

tdmlauncher.exe C:\Games\Doom3\thedarkmod.exe

Folks, how would this command line look then? I have a link icon on my desktop with the following target property:

"H:\Games\Doom 3\darkmod\tdmlauncher.exe" H:\Games\Doom3\darkathena.exe

The Doom3.exe is renamed to darkathena.exe, of course. However, it doesn't seem to work as I still have the upside-down representation. Where is my mistake?

(The space after "darkathena. exe" is caused by the forum software.)

Perhaps you need the latest Application Profiles update:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33961798

?

I would try renaming it to "something else" unless you are a Crossfire user.

I also tried that CLI argument and it failed. It might require a path to the executable with no spaces in the directory names? :unsure:

tdmlauncher accepts the path to DOOM3.exe (or whatever.exe) as command line argument, this is working already.

tdmlauncher.exe C:\Games\Doom3\thedarkmod.exe

Greebo, it's definitely not working. I've tried what Niels suggested and installed the Cat App, to no avail. Then I used the command line (Eingabeaufforderung) and typed in "tdmlauncher.exe H:\Games\Doom3\darkathena.exe" (obviously I was in the right directory and had renamed "Doom 3" to "Doom3" before). Same thing, screen upside down. What am I doing wrong?

Greebo, it's definitely not working. I've tried what Niels suggested and installed the Cat App, to no avail. Then I used the command line (Eingabeaufforderung) and typed in "tdmlauncher.exe H:\Games\Doom3\darkathena. exe" (obviously I was in the right directory and had renamed "Doom 3" to "Doom3" before). Same thing, screen upside down. What am I doing wrong?

Very odd. After the game has started up, hit ctrl+alt+del, select "Start Task Manager" and go to the "Processes" tab Do you see darkathena.exe or doom3.exe running?

Edited by Trunks0

-Trunks0