The Dark Mod Forums

Dark Mod main theme music

Datenshi92

The first time I heard the sweet music box playing in the background I knew I was going to end up being haunted by its melancholic beauty.

Thing is, I have a thing for music boxes and their melodies, so I wanted to know whats the name of the music that plays at the menu and where can I get it? I don't plan on using it on anything, its just I want to add it to my playlist :)

I freaking love the Dark Mod, I found it recently when I was browing for mods for Thief and at first I thought it was an actual game or expansion pack, but this is amazing too, already finished two missions. Keep em coming! Good job TDM team and fan-mission creators :)

I apologize for my english, but I'm not a native speaker. Its not that I don't know how to write it, its that I try to type fast and don't check for typos xD

I apologize for my english, but I'm not a native speaker

I doubt anyone would have noticed. :)

I'm not sure if this is the same music but Moddb has an old "Official Soundtrack" download available:

http://www.moddb.com...oundtrack-vol-1

Other than that you would need to find the ogg file in one of the TDM pk4's...

I think the path is like:

darkmod\sound\meta\menu\amb_nocturne_menu.ogg

(Probably inside tdm_sounds01.pk4 ... you would need to copy that to your desktop then rename it tdm_sounds01.zip and extract it...)

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I'm not sure if this is the same music but Moddb has an old "Official Soundtrack" download available:

http://www.moddb.com...oundtrack-vol-1

Other than that you would need to find the ogg file in one of the TDM pk4's...

I think the path is like:

darkmod\sound\meta\menu\amb_nocturne_menu.ogg

(Probably inside tdm_sounds01.pk4 ... you would need to copy that to your desktop then rename it tdm_sounds01.zip and extract it...)

Odd, I checked both tdm_sound_sfx.pk4 and none had the menu music. I also download the OST and it doesn't have it either, though it does have some interesting stuff in there.

And thank you Springheel ^^

EDIT: Found it!

Its under darkmod\tdm_sound_ambient02.pk4\sound\ambient\ambience\ and its called nocturne01b.ogg :P

The one above it, its a piano instead of a music box but its still beautiful...

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Datenshi92

Congrats!

(Bikerdude recently griped about hearing the music over-and-over again while map editing so I was able to scoop some details from his thread...)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Welcome, enjoy your stay and keep to the shadows :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

The beautiful menu music nocturne01b was written by Schatten. I have never tired of it even after four years. Schatten is not so much involved with Dark Mod these days so probably won't see this so I'm taking the liberty of reprinting his post from an internal forum at the end of 2009. I'm sure he won't mind....

Woah, thanks people. I'm amazed you can still listen to the track after all that time.

Bit of trivia about it:

When I wrote it, I pictured visiting and capturing the theme of the factions and their places.

From top:

House guards / Mansion (music box)

City watch / Streets (piano)

Pagans & Beasties / Forest (pipes)

Builders & Undead / Factory-Church (organ & choir)

Again, thanks. Surprise compliments like that make my day!

• 3 weeks later...

The beautiful menu music nocturne01b was written by Schatten. I have never tired of it even after four years. Schatten is not so much involved with Dark Mod these days so probably won't see this so I'm taking the liberty of reprinting his post from an internal forum at the end of 2009. I'm sure he won't mind....

Wow! Thanks a lot, Fidcal, for digging that post up - that's really cool to get an insight into a real work of art like the menu music. It gave me goosebumps loading TDM for the first time. That and seeing the glowering form of a Revenant in the background *shudders*. It really "sets out the stall" of TDM and what it's about, the aesthetic and atmosphere that pretty much every FM builder tries to capture.

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Just adding my $0.02

I also find the intro/menu music to be quite awesome. Though I do agree a bit with Bikerdude about it looping while doing map editing. It's not a problem for me since I use headphones and can just take them off during that time.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Just adding my $0.02

I also find the intro/menu music to be quite awesome. Though I do agree a bit with Bikerdude about it looping while doing map editing. It's not a problem for me since I use headphones and can just take them off during that time.

Some people have ripped and uploaded all of the Thief 1 / 2 / 3 ambient soundtracks to Youtube - I'm thinking that when I get into editing I'll be using that as background music for myself! =-3

Just don't use any copyright material in Dark Mod FMs without permission. ;)

Oh don't you worry - I am VERY clear about avoiding all official Thief stuff in FMs - I rather enjoy the idea of the absolute freedom it offers!