The Dark Mod Forums

Sir Taffsalot's mapping thread

Sir Taffsalot

Please note that you also have to set the angle, if it is zero. Also note that if you use "angle" "0", the spawnarg will be removed if you move the path entity. So it's better to use values like 0.01 instead.

Btw.: You can also make ai look at something using path_lookat. This also works when the ai is moving. So you could let a guard look at a picture (in your museum ;) ) while he is walking by it.

This way you can also hint the player to some more valueable items, that may cause a lot of suspicion if the player steals it (if you are going to use this mechaning, for example for main goals or so).

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

The AIs footsteps do not make any sound when walking on my staircase. My staircase is a func_static but before I turned it in to a func_static I cloned the steps and raised them 1 grid size above. I then gave them the texture tdm_nodrawsold_ceramic. Shouldn't this create the sound of walking on marble when the AI are walking on it?

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Is the clone using the nodraw texture also a func_static? Did you therefore create a monsterclipping for the stair that my be a bit higher then the actual stair?

Maybe you can upload a map file that only contains the stair, or pm it to me, so I can take a look.

I cant log in to the bug tracking section of this forum. Do I need to be given access rights?

Edit: just saw the 'Sign up for new account bit'.

Edited by Sir Taffsalot

The Joker

Just took a look at the map and have two notes:

@ ST: Move those nodraw brushes a bit downwards and texture them with monster_clip solves the issue. Btw, the material type of your textures is tile, not ceramic.

Regarding the issue:

I've noticed that several of the nodrawsolid textures aren't working. The difference to those who are working seems to be the way they are defined.

In a working one you have something like

materialtype

at the top of the definition, while in a non-working one it starts like

surftype15
description "materialtype"

The strange thing is that this is definet similar in the visible textures where it does work.

i might just delete the no_draw brushes and convert the steps back in to worldspawn. I'm not getting performance issues so it should be OK.

On the subject of staircases -

How do I get the AI to walk up and down the spiral staircase model? I guess I have to put no_draw brushes around the stairs. Do I have to put monster_clip around the railings? Or will they not be an issue for the AI? Also how do I apply the path_corners? Can I just put one at the bottom of the stairs and another at the top or do I have to spread them throughout the staircase?

Thank you.

The Joker

You should be able to put a path_corner anywhere downstairs and anywhere upstairs, provided they're sequential in the AIs walking path, and the AAS system will regard the stairs as the only viable way to traverse the terrain so the AI will go up the stairs to the next path_corner where ever it is. Try it out by moving them around.

You have to monsterclip the spiral staircase. It's a bit tiresome but will work. And yes, putting a path at the bottom and the top is enough.

The spiral staircase works perfectly. Thanks guys. I was just thinking, would it not be helpful if there was a second spiral staircase model that already had monsterclip and nodraw all over it so its basically ready to use once its put in to someones map? I'd be perfectly happy to upload a small map with my spiral staircase in it that can be used (if its not too shabby).

The Joker

Well it wouldn't be a model but a prefab than. But sure, upload it.

When monsterclipping such things you should keep in mind that you do not have to do it perfectly, as the aas areas are rectangular and the sides are parallel to the x-/y-axis anyways.

I'm trying to wrap up my FM but I've got a slight problem. For the main objective you have to steal a painting that's displayed in the museum foyer. It's guarded by two windows that opened by two switches hidden in the museum. Here's what I've done -

• I've surrounded the painting with a brush and given it the Clip texture and turned it in to a atdm:target_set_frobable
  • Given the switches the spawnargs 'immune_to_target_setfrobable 1' and 'trigger_on_close 1'
  • I've set each switch to target the atdm:target_set_frobable that surrounds the painting.

When the two windows have been opened the painting isn't frobable. Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong. Here is a map with the painting, windows and switches.

pic.zip.txt

Edited by Sir Taffsalot

The Joker

Any idea how to make this work with two switches?

Or should I add a third switch? lol

Edit: yeah adding a third window and switch makes it work.

Edited by Sir Taffsalot

The Joker

If you're happy w/that, great.

If you want to use two switches, have each of them target a trigger_count. Give the trigger_count the spawnarg "count" "2". Target the trigger_count at the target_set_frobable.

When the first switch is flipped, the trigger_count says, "Okay, that's 1." (It doesn't matter which switch gets flipped first.)

When the second switch is flipped, the trigger_count says, "Okay, that's 2, so now I can activate my targets". He triggers the target_set_frobable and the painting becomes frobable.

If you're happy w/that, great.

If you want to use two switches, have each of them target a trigger_count. Give the trigger_count the spawnarg "count" "2". Target the trigger_count at the target_set_frobable.

When the first switch is flipped, the trigger_count says, "Okay, that's 1." (It doesn't matter which switch gets flipped first.)

When the second switch is flipped, the trigger_count says, "Okay, that's 2, so now I can activate my targets". He triggers the target_set_frobable and the painting becomes frobable.

But if the player flips the first switch twice, the painting will be frobable and the windows will be closed. And if the player than flips switch 1 and two, both windows are open but the painting is unfrobable again.

I would use this way. Let both switches target a target_callscriptfunction. Set the call spawnarg to "checkWindows". Let's assume your windows are called "window1" and "window2" and the painting is called "painting". Remove the target_setfrobable, set the painting to non-frobable and add the following code to your script file:

void checkWindows()
{
 sys.waitFor($window1);
 sys.waitFor($window2);
 //wait for the windows to open/close
 if ($window1.isOpen() && $window2.isOpen())
 {
   //both windows are open, set the picture to be frobable
   $picture.setFrobable(1);
 }
 else
 {
  //at least one window is closed, set picture to non-frobable
  $picture.setFrobable(0);
 }
}

That should do the trick.

@Obs;

I'm not sure about the sys.waitFor(). Is that satisfied only when the window reaches its full open or full closed position, or is it satisfied when the window simply stops moving? What happens if the switch is toggled quickly enough to leave the window partially open? And IsOpen() is true even if the window is partially open, so if both windows being partially open still leaves the painting covered with glass, the painting shouldn't be frobable.

And it looks like SirT will need explicit instructions on how to place the script in the right place. It's not a DR script, so what he attempted isn't what was intended.