The Dark Mod Forums

"Conversations" demo map

Shadowhide

http://www.gamefront...893449/Conv.zip

http://www.wupload.com/file/2629988842/Conv.zip

demo map that features 3 types of conversations and conversation system posibilites

1-monolog

2-dialog

3-interactions with player

shot00009nx.jpg

(thats a demo map,thats why those guys will be talk random stuff,so dont mind it)

Edited by Shadowhide
  • Like 1

Proceed with caution!

Interaction with the player would be neat. They never really did this in Thief. All the AI would do is start talking to you when you approached them, but I don't remember actually initiating a conversation with any of them myself. This would open up a new world of possibilities for story telling. Maybe we will end up trading equipment with an AI in a bar in real-time some day similar to Deus Ex.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Interaction with the player would be neat. They never really did this in Thief. All the AI would do is start talking to you when you approached them, but I don't remember actually initiating a conversation with any of them myself. This would open up a new world of possibilities for story telling. Maybe we will end up trading equipment with an AI in a bar in real-time some day similar to Deus Ex.

T1 FM "Calendra Cistern" have in-game shop in it.Also "Events in Highrock" have a lot interactions with AI

T2 FM like "Horns of Canzo" have even more advanced in-game.You can choose whatever you want,you can back and when you gain more money and buy some advanced equipment ect.

Winter Harvest had a moment when player gives book to a prisoner,that is another type of interaction

Next step would be phrase choosing (like in rpg games).It could done like interactive monitors in doom3 - via GUI system.But I dont know how to do it

Proceed with caution!

Ok, I loaded the map in TDM. I had to convert all files to lower case letters first... that 'C' made it impossible to load. Please keep that in mind since there are so many Linux users among us.

I saw the conversations in TDM and then loaded the map in DR. Man that is easy to set up. I checked out the entity controlling the conversations and the script (very simple one in this case), and I understood it rather well after about 1 minute of examining the entity.

Thank you again. This is very helpful to new mappers who have not yet ventured to the tutorials for conversations (assuming they would be more difficult to do).

Also, that text entity is pretty awesome. I thought you had added the text to the screenshot until I saw it in-game. Now I know we can do stuff like bind the AI's names above their head, ala WoW and other RPG games. ROFL, that would be annoying but funny.

post-3285-131882956391_thumb.jpg

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Awesome, depending on how it works it might open up some real possibilities for a longer mission or campaign

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

I saw an interesting conversation prototype in the [dead] doom 3 mod Wrathchild. Completely done in interactive GUIs. A bit clunky and unconvincing. Too bad we stripped out the mouse cursor interactive GUI years ago.

(@ 4:10)

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I saw an interesting conversation prototype in the [dead] doom 3 mod Wrathchild. Completely done in interactive GUIs. A bit clunky and unconvincing. Too bad we stripped out the mouse cursor interactive GUI years ago.

my idea little same,but it maybe GUI dont be even needed

little question : why $entityname.activate($player1) does not working on atdm:teleport entity ?

Edited by Shadowhide

Proceed with caution!

I have a feeling i know where this is going. "teleporting" in debug text as conversation? Maybe not a bad idea, it always faces the player. I wonder if a similar principle couldn't work as general subtitling, or maybe that would be a little silly, as it would give away enemy AI positions far too easily.

Edit: also, teleporting wouldn't help. debug text is always visible (unless theres a way to turn it on and off?) as seen here in the eax demo:

Edited by ungoliant

I think it would be fine to just have a small GUI window at the bottom and you can mousewheel, tab, or arrowkey through options and left-click or hit enter or space or 'action-key' to say it, or just escape out of it, and it temporarily disables other functions of those keys while the window is up. I think that'd require some coding support, but that's about how I envision it should work.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.