The Dark Mod Forums

Official mirror links updated all missions

Bikerdude

Evening

I've updated all the mission download page with the southquarter links (many thanks to Brethren for hosting)

I did notice a few of the mission weren't mirrored on www.fidcal.com, can someone have a look through and tell me which mission are missing the fidcal.com link so I can upload the mission and add the link etc

ta.

Um... Doesn't Lord Duffords have references to Hammers therefore violating the rules about using Thief intellectual property? If that hasn't been addressed you'll probably need to figure out how to remove that one...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Yeah, some of the missions use IP belonging to others. We cannot have those in the downloader or affiliated with the core mod.

Don't give thi4f lawyers ANY excuses to focus attention at us.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Um... Doesn't Lord Duffords have references to Hammers therefore violating the rules about using Thief intellectual property? If that hasn't been addressed you'll probably need to figure out how to remove that one...

I did wonder, Ok I will remove it and edit it etc as its a shame to let a mission go to waste.

@Stumpy, do you have a problem with this..?

someone said that lord dufford sounds too much like lord bafford, its not set in bridgeport, has mythological references to dragons, pagan demi gods of the wood lord (which is a giant tree) sounds too much like the woodsie lord (aka the trickster), doesn't stick to the general canon for the bridgeport area, but its not set there so it wouldn't.

As far as I know I never made reference to the hammerites or the mechanists,

• someone said that lord dufford sounds too much like lord bafford
  • its not set in bridgeport, has mythological references to dragons, pagan demi gods of the wood lord (which is a giant tree) sounds too much like the woodsie lord (aka the trickster),
  • doesn't stick to the general canon for the bridgeport area, but its not set there so it wouldn't.

• And barrett sound like garret, but that wasnt a problem in BaU.
  • A lot of mission arent.
  • agreed.

As its not infringing on Thief Ip then I see no reason your mission shouldn't part of the community just because its partly off tdm canon (that said we could just tweak the readable's a bit...)

As far as I know I never made reference to the hammerites or the mechanists,

Am looking through the readables now, there are no references to Hammers or Mechs. but I am cleaning up the grammar and wording in a few spots (eg, Rastafari and thier religion don't exist in tdm)

Thanks for the update, Bikerdude!

Edit: Thanks for fixing the problem with LordDuffords. No problem with that anymore.

However, the name of the file for Penny Dreadfull should also be corrected, since it reappears on the Download list over and over again, probably due to some bad characters which the downloader can not handle properly.

tdm_missioninfo penny

{

"downloaded_version" "1"

}

tdm_missioninfo penny__9_

{

}

Tels statement in this BugTracker entry for proper filenames on the download server was:

The reason for the duplicated entries and the "still downloadable" was that the mod name field on the server should contain only:

* lowercase (NOT "DeceptiveShadows" or "VFAT1")

* no special characters (so no "mission+something")

* no extension (so it is "broads", not "broads.pk4")

Edited by gnartsch

Sure. I just wanted to prevent people trashing their nice stats.

Lord Dufford causes no problems anymore. Thanks!

However, I feel that at some point someone should look into the downloader code and make sure it does not do any stupid things like corrupting the entire missionlist just because something is 'odd' about the filenames.

Maybe you could open a bug tracker for that, since you know what exactly caused that weird behaviour, rendering all missions to loose their version info and therefor suggesting the player to update ~20 missions without need and like that causing unneccessary traffic.

Penny Dreadful however still keeps popping up again.

Edited by gnartsch

• 1 month later...

Any chance fixing the bad mission entry for PennyDreadful for the internal downloader?

At least 1.08 users are loosing their mission-stats & version info for all missions in the missions.tdminfo file due to that bad entry

and as a result are notified of 'availlable updates' for missions which do not need an update.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/14952-fan-mission-penny-dreadful-by-melan-20130728/page__view__findpost__p__319960

From what I understand, there are so many mirrors for missions, because TDM servers can not afford any additional download bandwidth.

Downloading 'Updates' for missions because of a corrupted missions.tdminfo file doesn't really help in that cause, does it ?

This is what you get when downloading PennyDreadful via the internal mission downloader:

tdm_missioninfo penny

{

"downloaded_version" "1"

}

{

}

Several problems with that:

- PennyDreadful keeps reoccurring in the download list, obvisouly due to some bad characters in the name of the mission entry, which TDM can not handle

- Even worse: the mission.tdminfo file gets corrupted because TDM can not handle that mission entry (at least when using 1.08). When you restart TDM after downloading PennyDreadful you will notice that all version info is lost in the mission.tdminfo file. As a result, many missions will be marked with 'UPDATE AVAILLABLE'

The only way people can fix this is by needlessly downloading those useless updates although they had the latest version already anyway

- Also people loose all their mission stats for the very same reason.

Edited by gnartsch

• This is what you get when downloading PennyDreadful via the internal mission downloader:

tdm_missioninfo penny	
{
"downloaded_version"	"1"
}

{
}

• obviously due to some bad characters in the name of the mission entry, which TDM can not handle

• Ive checked the FM page and every is present and correct, what does the text you typed above actually mean/refer to?
  • the mission file entry is called "penny", the filename is called " penny.pk4 " so what "invalid characters" are you referring too?

• Ive checked the FM page and every is present and correct, what does the text you typed above actually mean/refer to?
  • the mission file entry is called "penny", the filename is called " penny.pk4 " so what "invalid characters" are you referring too?

tdm_missioninfo penny

{

"downloaded_version" "1"

}

{

}

The text above refers to the content of darkmod\fms\missions.tdminfo.

Manually downloading & installing a mission is not a problem, but doing so via the internal downloader is!

In case the scenario is still not clear yet, here a detailed set of steps to recreate the problem:

- install TDM 1.08 (since I do not know how 2.0 would behave here)

- make sure that darkmod\fms\missions.tdminfo does not have any traces of PennyDreadful and slso delete the folder for that mission in case you had installed it manually before already !

- install one mission with version > 1 and mission name lexically higher then 'penny...' using the build-in mission-downloader (e.g. ReturnToTheCity v3)

- if you want, install any other mission with the mission name lexically higher then 'penny...' (via internal downloader) and PLAY it, so it is marked as COMPLETED

- close TDM

- check the content of darkmod\fms\missions.tdminfo and you will see that there is version info contained in that file as well as your completion stats

- start TDM and download PennyDreadful (via the internal downloader)

- revisit the download screen again and PennyDreadful is still showing up for download !

- close TDM

- start TDM

- visit the mission list and notice that none of the missions are marked as completed anymore !

- revisit the download screen and notice that TDM claims there is an update availlable again for ReturnToTheCity !

- close TDM

- check the content of darkmod\fms\missions.tdminfo and you will see that all version info is gone as well as your stats

for all missions that are lexically higher then penny....

EDIT: added some remarks that only missions with name higher then 'penny...' are effected by that issue

and that you must not have any traces of a manually downloaded copy of PennyDreadful in your fms directory and missions.tdminfo file

Screenshots will follow in a few minutes

Edited by gnartsch

So the question is where are the bad characters coming from?

I doubt this issue will be fixed for 2.0, since we're not even sure what the problem is yet, but hopefully the mission itself can be updated with the problem characters removed....once we know what they are.