The Dark Mod Forums

Fidcal's A-Z Beginner Guide - German Translation

Nightcrawler

I recently started with DarkRadiant working through Fidcal's A-Z Beginner Guide and I thought it might be helpfull to have a German translation of this tutorial at hand. Actually i'm not the first proposing this. There were some people working on a translation quite a long time ago:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/11795-my-first-darkradiant-session/page-2

I suppose the project is abadoned... but i might get started on this again if there is some demand for a translation.

So what do you (especially the German folks who haven't really got started with DarkRadiant yet) think? Would this be helpful to s.o. or are you just fine with the English version anyway?

• Like 2

I've seen comments to the effect that the A-Z has elements that aren't really up to date, e.g. you probably wouldn't normally create fireplace flames as in http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=A_-_Z_Beginner_Full_Guide_Page_5#Fires_and_Fireplaces-- you'd use light_fireflames or light_fireflames_wide.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

Yes, but i'm not sure if this is really outdated... Sometimes Fidcal's tutorial gives such more circumstancial explanations on porpose - like in the section about http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=A_-_Z_Beginner_Full_Guide_Page_2#Making_the_Door_Openit says:

" In most cases in the future you will just create a working door from the create entity menu where there is a wide selection of most common doors already working (or even select a prefab with working handles) but in this case I'm describing how to make this particular model into a working door so you understand the principle. To make it possible for the player to open the door, this is what you need to do..."

But you're right. Normally you choose the easiest way to get s.th.done...

Good project. There are a few things in the tutorial that are outdated. Some keyboard shortcuts that are different in DR nowadays for example, as well as the overly manual methods that you're talking about above. I'd say don't let that hold you up though. If you work through it as you're translating it you can fix things and ask here for anything that's unclear. And when you're done we can use it to update the original :)

Hm, ok. I can watch out for the changed keyboard shortcuts i guess. But the overdated manual methods will be a problem since i'm a newbie by myself. So my idea was learning DarkRadiant with the Tutorial and translating it along with into German.

If there are new and better methods i won't know about them... But if you find a section that should be changed post it here i will try to implement it.

A worthy project, I'm sure.

Distribution should be thought about well in advance. After you've seen all the trouble to make the translation, how can we make sure it is not forgotten: how do we make it available, so that people can find it.

I mean, if someone needs a translation for the tutorial, they might have difficulties in navigating the english-only webpages to find the translated tutorial, right?

Also, would it be good if the translator, instead of just translating, would first complete the tutorial and make a mission of their own from start to finish. With this gained proficiency they could indentify the obsolete parts and improve it overall.

Airship Ballet was once doing a new tutorial in english, but I don't know what happened to the project.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Welcome to the forum Nightcrawler and thanks for the initative.

An up-to date A-Z tutorial would be most beneficial. Maybe even enhanced including features and techniques that had been added since Fid's did the existing one.

Airship Ballet went in the direction of an updated PDF version. For multiple reasons keeping the wiki as one single place to maintain the most up-to-date info is the way to go in my opinion.

Bringing an up-to date version of Fid's A-Z to video would be much more added help than any translation that will be out-of-synch with one in the english version after some time.​ It would be most helpful to newcomers if a video would be added to every chapter/day showing the techniques in the A-Z wiki. Needn't even be voiced-over. Obsttorte did en excellent job doing video tutorials with more advanced stuff. And Komag with the very basics. But afaik. there isn't much material available for in between.

Edited by fllood

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

Distribution should be thought about well in advance. After you've seen all the trouble to make the translation, how can we make sure it is not forgotten: how do we make it available, so that people can find it.

I mean, if someone needs a translation for the tutorial, they might have difficulties in navigating the english-only webpages to find the translated tutorial, right?

If we really managed to revise all the outdated sections and if the board is happy with the tutorial, i would suggest to host it directly on the Dark Radiant's Project site (http://darkradiant.sourceforge.net/). I mean the tutorial is written for absolute beginners and the project site is the place you get to first before you get started, isn't it?

An up-to date A-Z tutorial would be most beneficial. Maybe even enhanced including features and techniques that had been added since Fid's did the existing one.

Airship Ballet went in the direction of an updated PDF version. For multiple reasons keeping the wiki as one single place to maintain the most up-to-date info is the way to go in my opinion.

I agree, it would be good to have the wiki as a place for the most up-to-date info and besides update the pdf-guide just from time to time. But right now it doesn't seem to be the case: To take VanishedOne's example, the section about fireplaces (http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=A_-_Z_Beginner_Full_Guide_Page_5) was updated 2 years ago for the last time.

So if you know there is some overdated info, why not correct it? Unlike in Wikipedia you can't just go there and edit pages in TheDarkModWiki as it seems...If we could, perhaps there wouldn't be that outdated sections problem.