The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

well i tried it again with a standard textured func_static

it seems te problem occurs, if i set the absence_location spawnarg on the crates

the complete area, where the crates are at mapstart is blocked

if i delete the spawnarg on the crates and restart the map (with or without dmapping) i can pass trough again

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

well i tried it again with a standard textured func_static

it seems te problem occurs, if i set the absence_location spawnarg on the crates

the complete area, where the crates are at mapstart is blocked

if i delete the spawnarg on the crates and restart the map (with or without dmapping) i can pass through again

just uploaded an example map, pretty sure its a bug

https://www.yousendit.com/download/TEhWZFhqMGNGR0dHR3NUQw

ps: this is a zip file

If a crate is marked "absence_noticeability/1", then when it's moved an absence marker is created in its place, with roughly the same size as the crate.

If an AI can see this marker, he will become suspicious and search the area.

Given that, what is the func_static for?

i want the player to put back the crates after he trespassed the hole, but i cant be sure that he will put them back in exactly the same order

so the player has a higher degree in changing the crates location in vertical and one horizontal dimension as in the least horizontel direction pointing away from the hole

therefore i place the func_static way behind the hole and add some absence_bounds_tolerance to the crates (didnt do that in the test map btw.)

i want the player to put back the crates after he trespassed the hole, but i cant be sure that he will put them back in exactly the same order

so the player has a higher degree in changing the crates location in vertical and one horizontal dimension as in the least horizontel direction pointing away from the hole

therefore i place the func_static way behind the hole and add some absence_bounds_tolerance to the crates (didnt do that in the test map btw.)

already tried this it doesnt work

doesnt matter if i use clip, nodraw or just a decorative func_static as target, the error always occurs

Edited by Obsttorte

Not studied this in detail but is it well illuminated? I seem to recall absence markers have to be visible to AI otherwise they might alert if something is missing in a completely dark area where they couldn't possibly see. Try putting in a bright test light in there to test the theory.

the alert thing works perfectly, that isnt the problem

the problem is, that in those areas where the specified objects stand at map start something like a clip brush seems to be created, making it unable to pass there

why didnt you just test it

there are some nice coloured light textures ;)

EDIT: well, as far as i can see it doesnt seem to work, so youll have to use the two light thing i think

Edited by Obsttorte

Xcen: Can you post a copy of your material definition and the relevent line(s) in the model def?

Obsttorte: Test the absence func static as a visible texture - I believe it should disappear when triggered. If it does then it can't be that which is blocking the AI. Make sure it's not something else that's blocking the AI path. Set up the scene somewhere else where you can control it better where there is plenty of space for the AI to path. If that works then it's likely something else in the area is blocking them. Are you sure it's not the crates in the way? Or the way is too narrow or too low?

Surface name in Lightwave:

tableolddirty

material:

tableolddirty

{

wood

qer_editorimage models/darkmod/props/textures/tableolddirty

bumpmap models/darkmod/props/textures/tableolddirty_local

diffusemap models/darkmod/props/textures/tableolddirty

specularmap models/darkmod/props/textures/tableolddirty_s

{

if ( parm11 > 0 )

blend gl_dst_color, gl_one

map _white

rgb 0.40 * parm11

}

{

if ( parm11 > 0 )

blend add

map models/darkmod/props/textures/tableolddirty

rgb 0.15 * parm11

}

{

if (global5 == 1)

blend add

map models/darkmod/props/textures/tableolddirty

scale 1, 1

red global2

green global3

blue global4

}

{

if (global5 == 2)

blend add

program ambientEnvironment.vfp

vertexParm 0 1, 1, 1, 1 // UV Scales for Diffuse and Bump

vertexParm 1 1, 1, 1, 1 // (X,Y) UV Scale for specular

vertexParm 2 global2, global3, global4, 1

fragmentMap 0 cubeMap env/gen1

fragmentMap 1 models/darkmod/props/textures/tableolddirty_local // Bump

fragmentMap 2 models/darkmod/props/textures/tableolddirty // Diffuse

fragmentMap 3 models/darkmod/props/textures/tableolddirty_s // Specular

}

}

Edited by Xcen

@Fidcal: as I said the func static is rather tiny and not within an area reachable for the AI or the player

the blocked zone is where the crates are standing (even if i move them away), I can even climb on it, but dont see anything there

you can see this in the test map ive uploaded

another question

i just tried to set up a readable, i created a "readable_immobile_paper01" entity, turned it so i can put it on the wall end used the readables editor to put text on it, the problem is i always get "non_existing xdata declaration"-error, the text can not be seen and the paper is not frobable, althoug frobable is set to 1

i looked on the wiki, tried to move the .xd-file to other folders, but nothing seems to work

It seems like the path between the readable and the xdata - you have to make sure the xdata file is in the right folder and also make sure the path in the readable editor points to that file (it is a mess when you start writting readables before making your map a "project"). Also, use one of the prefab readables so it is sure to work.

Edited by RPGista

update: the error message is gone since i gave the entity an inventory name (why ever as it is immobile)

but the text still don't accours, and the entity is still unfrobable

i also tried the prefabs, same thing

i packed the mission and installed via the mission installer but there it also doesn't work :wacko:

@Obsttorte: Is the map we're supposed to be looking at the one you linked in note #2779 above? Looks the same as what I saw yesterday, with the func_static blocking the player's way. You say to Fidcal, though, "the func static is rather tiny and not within an area reachable for the AI or the player".

but the func static is on the other side of the crates

and in my map (not the one i posted) it is even behind another func_static so the player and ai can't reach it

the funny thing is, that if i move the func_static a bit and do not dmap, it actually works as intented

EDIT: the quote refers to my real map, not the test map

Edited by Obsttorte

but the func static is on the other side of the crates

True, but as soon as the player moves the crates, he can't walk through the opening because of the func_static.

You should update the test map we're working with, with an AI who's supposed to see the moved crates, so we have an idea of which side of the crates he's on and what he's supposed to do when the crates are moved.

We'll solve this at some point, but the more we can see of your actual map, the quicker we'll get there.

ok

btw. any idea why this readable thing doesn't work

EDIT: in the uploaded map there is no func_static, cause the eroor even occours if i set the absence_location spawnarg without creating the specified func_static, so in the map there are only some brushes(the room) and the crates

but you cannot enter the area where the crates where standing on map start

i'm pretty sure it's a bug, maybe unnoticed as noone seems to use this mechanism so far (as far as i can see)

Edit2: (readables) i created a book (no prefab), it works nice, but the sheet still don't work, strange

i created a mobile version of the paper, it works, so it seems that only those immobile versions doesn't work, but why

Edited by Obsttorte

Xcen: textures/ in the shader def name is only an extension of an invented name so has no special 'path' except in the way it's displayed in Dark Radiant so, as you say, it should work without it. Here's my guess...

The error:

g[shaders] ShaderLibrary: definition not found: tableolddirty

that's within Lightwave itself not in the Doom3 console, right?

I'm wondering if there is a conflict with another copy of the shader. Perhaps you've got this copy in a game folder with your map?

As a test, try renaming the shader def to something else distinctive that nobody could have used like mystupidtable in both model and material file. If that works then it's likely a clash of names somewhere so quick fix is just give it a new meaningful, unique name. Don't include textures/