The Dark Mod Forums

Catalyst 11.11 seems to be OK.

Xarg

Well, figured it was time to update my drivers after 3dmark11 spat the dummy about driver problems with 10.11, so I tried 11.12, this was horrible. Constant flickering on the taskbar on the left screen. After giving it 3-4 days to sort itself out, which it didn't, I reverted to 10.11 then installed 11.11. So far this is working well. Catalyst AI settings slider is in the middle (default, I haven't touched this), Enable Surface Format Optimisation is unchecked, and I just loaded up the Builder's Influence and there is no rotating sky or anything crazy. 11.12 also had no rotating sky, but the flickering drove me nuts.

In conclusion, both of these drivers should be OK to use with TDM 1.07.

Tested on HD 5850 1gb.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Looks like it also lowers the idle temperatures, pretty sure my card used to idle at 50C, 400mhz gpu, 1000mhz vram @ 1v, now it's idling at 34C, 400mhz gpu and 300mhz vram @1v.... anyone else feel like testing this driver revision for problems?

Well, I was on 10.11 because it was the latest I had tried with the ability to turn off Catalyst AI and keep the sky correct.

I just loaded 12.4 which is the latest. On 10.11 my idle temp was about 52* and seems to be the same now. (seems like it was lower a couple days ago, it's cool in here and I was just playing games - with the fan cranked up while playing-I dunno, I don't keep to logs or anything)

Now the temp is fluctuating 46*52 so I don't think it's different as far as that goes.

I'll check the sky tomorrow.

------------

EDIT

damn, lol. I uninstalled catalyst instal manager and all components. This made my resolution go really low and reboot. Then installed the entire 12.4 package and reboot. Back to higher res desktop.

Looking at the settings in catalyst ai it says I'm using 10.11 still. Hit update and it says 12.4 available, WTF?

Installing that now, will try again.

---re edit

idk wtf, I just dl/installed the 12.4 through catalyst control, it still says 10.11. Not gonna reboot again tonight.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I'm assuming that having multiple monitors keeps the card more active, so any idle state it goes into won't be as low as a single monitor system in idle, and they just found a way to lower the temps more effectively. Interesting that my card would be running cooler than yours with such a consideration, unless you have more than one monitor plugged in (which is entirely possible). The very brief test I ran (run up ladder, look at sky, cross roof, drop down and collect loot, move back into shadows) revealed no anomalous behaviour, no post processessing "drunken swaying" and no spinning skybox. I could test further I guess, but so far I'm satisfied that the main complaints with Cat. AI (the sky and the swaying) aren't present, so I don't imagine I'll be posting any updates regarding problems with the driver in here unless I stumble on them during normal play.

Just one monitor.

The skybox rotating is horrible for sure, and that only takes one second to notice.

I have never had 'swaying', other than 'swaying/bobbing' skybox in tests I did quite awhile back. Due to how the camera follows the players head or some such, don't think it was driver related at all.

One other issue I have always had on my ati card, but can't remember if it effected my nvidia (and I can't be arsed to test now). When I go underwater the moon shifts in the sky 20-30 *.

It's not THAT big of a deal, I have mentioned it but nobody else has ever said anything...

My card is at 45* steadnow, mightve been gameplay just had it hot...

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

From memory the "drunken swaying" is caused by Cat. AI when either Bloom or HDR lite is enabled. Also, it seems you no longer need to reboot between driver versions. I did the 11.12 -> 10.11 -> 11.11 without rebooting, and the Cat Control Panel accurately reflected the driver version at each stage. Haven't noticed the moon repositioning when underwater, do you know of any maps where this can be reproduced? (initial thoughts would be Too Late! outside the warehouse, but I don't remember which skybox is used there.)

If it helps, instead of uninstall -> reboot -> install, the way I did this was boot -> rollback driver -> install new driver.

Seems you can get pretty much unlimited rollback -> new driver stages in, since installing the newer revisions no longer requires a reboot. At least, I haven't been asked to reboot by the computer.

Edited by Xarg

• 1 year later...

Hi, can you please tell me where to get Catalyst 11.11?

The AMD site is no help. Jumping through their hoops to find older versions is also no help.

I'm having the flicking problem and each time it's the harbinger of a crash - on save. In fact it's the only reliable indicator. If I could fix this, it'd be really nice.

Edited by stopthief

I'm currently using 13.4 with no problems, if that helps you. 11.11 is quite an old version nowadays.