The Dark Mod Forums

TDM won't start --> Doom3.exe has stopped working

Cinnabuns

TDM won't start --> Doom3.exe has stopped working

I get this immediately after launching the TDM. :(

Some background:

I am running the Steam version of Doom 3. It is just Doom 3, not "Resurrection" or "BFG Edition". Just vanilla Doom 3 v1.3.1.1304 is what the console indicates.

TDM is installed to the Steam Doom 3 directory with path being:

D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Doom 3\darkmod\

I have run Steam verify file integrity and it reports the Doom 3 directory to be complete with no file updates necessary.

My OS is installed on C:\, does this break game paths?

Running Windows 7 ultimate x64 completely up-to-date, No issues with any other game or mod, Doom 3 launches and plays fine still, no issues with Doom 3 at all.

2x gtx570 sli, latest Nvidia drivers for Bioshock Infinite driver version 314.22, 3 monitors (Doom 3 is set to run at 1920x1200 in .cfg) TDM is also set to 1920x1200. Side monitors go blank when both games launch as the should and initial TDM splash screen is displayed prior to error message.

Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 rev 1. motherboard using default onboard Realtek audio driver version 6.0.1.6662 installed 11/22/2012.

I've tried running both, ""D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 9050 +set fs_game_base darkmod" set in a shortcut and also clicking the TheDarkMod.exe directly as per the FAQ instructions, both produce the same error message, Doom3.exe has stopped working.

I also tried setting the FAQ/Wiki recommendations of "Single display performance mode" and "CPU threaded optimization > OFF" with indentical results.

I also set the custom Nvidia settings in the TDM .cfg file provided by the FAQ/Wiki Nvidia troubleshooting

I have gone through the entire Wiki/FAQ and tried the suggestions offered there.

For instance:

tdmlauncher.exe fails to copy the necessary game binaries. The log file should read something like this:

found DLL in pak file: C:\Program Files\Doom 3\darkmod\tdm_game01.pk4/gamex86.dll

copy gamex86.dll to C:\Program Files\Doom 3\darkmod\gamex86.dll

could not create destination file

I have confirmed that I DO have the gamex86.dll file in my TDM directory so it did unpack correctly.

Does TDM support widescreen resolutions?

Yes. Choose "16:9" or "16:10" in the in-game Settings menu, and select the appropriate resolution. Note that you need to restart the game to have the new setting in effect.

If the native resolution of your wide screen monitor is not listed, you can enter it into DoomConfig.cfg by changing the following entries like so:

set r_mode "-1"

set r_customwidth "1920"

set r_customheight "1200"

seta r_aspectratio "2" // means 16:10, "1" is 16:9, other ratios are not yet supported

I am using these settings in both Doom 3 which works fine and TDM which will not launch.

I also tried launching with default settings initially which I'm assuming the game copies from the Doom 3.cfg and then edited these values from the FAQ to see if that would make any difference.

seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"

seta image_useNormalCompression "2"

seta image_useAllFormats "1"

seta image_useCompression "1"

seta image_preload "1"

seta image_useNormalCompression "0"

seta image_useCompression "0"

Changing these settings did not have any effect.

Windows Application Event viewer (which is generally of no help) shows not much in the way of help:

Faulting application name: Doom3.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x45ad459a

Faulting module name: gamex86.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x507ebd3a

Exception code: 0x40000015

Fault offset: 0x003d4e71

Faulting process id: 0x1a5c

Faulting application start time: 0x01ce392b1c106bfa

Faulting application path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Doom 3\Doom3.exe

Faulting module path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Doom 3\darkmod\gamex86.dll

Report Id: 5bd1213e-a51e-11e2-9b25-1c6f65ca6b21

I'm unaware of how to show the TDM console when launching so I can get more detailed info on the crash cause. I have searched and can't find a way to do this.

Using the Steam -applaunch shortcut options I did get the TDM console to show up one time however I unthinkably closed it prior to reading it and can't get it to show up again.

TDM updater shows v0.58 and shows the Local mod version is 1.08 and that, "All files are up to date".

I have .NET Framework 4 installed along with MS Visual C++ redist 2005, 2008 x64, 2008 x86, 2010 x64, 2010 x86

I have run TDM updater multiple times and it says the CRC checks are good and that all files are up to date in both the logs and updater user messages.

Will someone please help me troubleshoot this?

Edited by Cinnabuns

Thank you for the prompt reply, nbohr1more.

As indicated in the post:

TDM updater shows v0.58 and shows the Local mod version is 1.08 and that, "All files are up to date".

And I have tried launching both using the steam shortcut with -applaunch properties and "TheDarkMod.exe" directly with the same results.

http://imgur.com/ogNtRV8

Edited by Cinnabuns

Ah, I see it now.

Did you try deleting the gamex86.dll files then running tdm_updater to get new versions?

Do you have any mods installed in "\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Doom 3\base" rather than

"\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Doom 3\mod_folder_name" ?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

No other mods are installed as I purchased Doom 3 specifically to run TDM.

Deleted thedarkmod.x86, gamex86.dll, and Darkmod.cfg.

Ran the tdm_updater again and it redownloaded 1 file. Launched the game again and ...YEAH BABY!

It launched! Thank you sooo much for your prompt help, man.

I sincerely appreciate it!

• Like 1