The Dark Mod Forums

Dark And Light

oDDity

Hurrah! Another fantasy MMORPG!

WHat's special about this one - well for a start you can play for free for six months. THey are making the unusual move of releasing a scaled down version of the final game, which will not be out for six months, and the actions poeple take in this game (called Settlers of Ganareth) will be added to the lore and history of the final game.

Secondly, the size, it's absolutely massive, the biggest wolrd ever, and there are no loading zones either, plus there is only one world server containing every single player.

Third, you don't have to do the old fight-monster grind.. YOu can get XP just for exploring the gigantic world. There are also great thief classes in it.

I always like to try new MMORPGs to see if I ever come across a decent one - well it has to happen one day, surely.

The fact that this is free for six months gives an even better reason to try it.

It'll be released this month some time.

http://www.darkandlight.net/

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

You don't really want me to start this playing, do you? ;)

last time I played Guild Wars I spent at least one month or more without doing anything on the mod. I'm glad I'm over with this now. I bet if I like this, it will happen again.

After the six months, will you have a monthly fee?

Gerhard

Well yes, but technically this game, Settlers of Ganareth, is a different game from Dark and Light, even though it is set in the same world with the same classes, races and a lot of the same features. I guess it is a kind of glorified extended stress test for the one big server - they deny that, and say they are just rewarding loyal followers of the game, with a pre release game so they don't have to wait another six mothns. You do not keep you characters or anyting as far as I know, and you have to start again when Dark an Light is released..

Anyway, even if it's a decent game, I'm sure most people will be bored playing it in six months time anyway.

I'm not sure it's a very wise move on the part of the developers, but I guess they must have thought it through.

But, what the hell, it's free, so may as well give it a try at least, and being there at the start of an MMO is allaways the best time.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Free? What about the 50$ in advance!

Too late to save us but try to understand

The seas were empty -- there was hunger in the land

We let the madmen write the golden rules

We were just Children of the Moon

We're lost in the middle of a hopeless world

Children, Children of the Moon watch the world go by

Children, Children of the Moon are hiding from the Sun and the Sky

© The Alan Parsons Project - Children of the Moon

IF you want to play Settlers of Ganareth, you have to join the forums and sign up for the beta of Dark an Light.

With Oblivion being delayed until the middle of next year, I hope this gives me something to play for a while, becasue there's absolutely nothing else I'm interested in.

- Emil Zola

character models site

THere is no $50 in advance. You can preorder the final game to get a few silly in-game perks, but that's it.

But you have to go into the store and get a box! If I don't, than I can just log on to the first Russian server along my way!

• 3 weeks later...

Heh, I won 3 months free play in this game for making this dagger for a contest there. and it'll also be in the game)

http://www.pixelwerks.be/pictures/resized/...nbane_final.jpg

- Emil Zola

character models site

Heh, maybe someone will explaine me what sense is in a game like Lineage?

I guess it's jst the PvP at high level that keeps people ticking. They all gather up their leet gear, get to the highest level with their leet stats, and go at each other on the field of battle. Whether it's Lineage, WoW, Shadowbane or Guild Wars does't make a whole lot of difference.

- Emil Zola

character models site

What is the interest of that? Shouldn't PvP just be a possibility? Besides, how do they fight - there is no battle control in MMORPG's I have seen so far. I always imagined MMORPG's like Morrowinds where you can also meet real people, and maybe follow some plot with them together, but then it turned out - stupid process of rising to the 20 level. In fact, the game design is empty. Just open fields with mindless scatterings of minsters around. Stupid monotonous quests, low monster AI, and, of course, complete destruction of any atmosphere by hordes of ugly language...

There are a large variety of classes and skill and ability types in these MMO games. THe fun comes from the basic paper/sissors/rock type engagments, and group tactics.

A lot of guilds travel around from MMO to MMO only for the PvP.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Didn't notice anything interesting in Lineage. To advance to next class you need 20 level... Who makes games like that? OK, they could have at least made this single player part more interesting, but here it seems to be worse than Diablo. Absolutely nothing to do but bash enemies. No items, no herb collecting, no special quests, no plot, no miniatcivities, nothing! Skills? Well, I don't know, if Iron Fist can be called a skill. Simply improves your attack slightly once in a while... Even in Diablo II you had many different skills at the beggining of the game - summoning sceletons or wolves, roaring on enemies, and conjuring of auras... Is it so hard to include something like that in a MMORPG? Because from what I have heard, the improvement from level one to level 20-30 is a boring process that exists there for I don't know what and must be passed by everyone? Horsecrap.

Lineage II is not free, is it?

Lineage 2 is free if you play on one of the hacked private servers. Dark and Light is not free, but they're running a free scaled down version for six months before release of the actual game.

- Emil Zola

character models site