The Dark Mod Forums

Playing Thief's Den on 64-bit Gentoo

noerrorsfound

dlopen '/home/hacker/.doom3/thiefs_den/gamex86.so' failed: libIL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I've got the 64-bit version but obviously it doesn't work, leading to my question:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/Thief%27s_Den#FAQ

• Since you cannot install 32 bit libraries on a 64 bit system with the normal package manager, you should use getlibs to install libdevil and libmng:

getlibs libIL.so.1 getlibs libmng.so.1

Getlibs is purely for Debian-based distros I believe, or at least it has no ebuild in Portage. What can I use on Gentoo?

Hmm... seems complicated. I can't find any references to a 32-bit libdevil compatibility library in Gentoo. There are some emul-linux-x86-* packages that provide 32-bit compatibility for certain libraries 64-bit Gentoo, but libdevil doesn't appear to be among them. Not sure about libmng either.

If I'm reading it right, this guide appears to offer the ability to install an entire 32-bit Gentoo environment inside a 64-bit Gentoo environment, which may be capable of solving your problem but looks complicated and annoying.

This kind of thing is why I've installed 32-bit Linux on my AMD64. (Ubuntu, as it happens.) I simply don't have to deal with 32/64-bit compatibility problems!

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

This kind of thing is why I've installed 32-bit Linux on my AMD64. (Ubuntu, as it happens.) I simply don't have to deal with 32/64-bit compatibility problems!

The reason why you even have to deal with 32bit compatibility problems (which are solved in Linux much more nicer than under Windows, I'd like to add) isn't the 64bit Linux, but IDs decision to not make their software in 64bit. Guess they were too busy shooting rockets or something...

So we are stuck with supporting 32bit :(

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

The reason why you even have to deal with 32bit compatibility problems (which are solved in Linux much more nicer than under Windows, I'd like to add) isn't the 64bit Linux, but IDs decision to not make their software in 64bit.

Obviously that's the underlying cause, but it doesn't change the result. Installing a 32-bit distribution is a very effective way of avoiding these compatibility issues, which occur with a significant amount of binary-only software, so I would certainly sympathise with Crispy for choosing this path.

Obviously that's the underlying cause, but it doesn't change the result. Installing a 32-bit distribution is a very effective way

You definition of "effective" differs vastly from mine. How is the 32bit distribution gonna use my 4Gbytes (or more) memory, then?

of avoiding these compatibility issues, which occur with a significant amount of binary-only software,

As far as I know, D3 is the only program that has this issue (because it uses a library, that is slightly not-standard). Wine, Crossover etc etc. all work perfectly fine here.

(There is also flash, but is such a crappy product that it doesn't really work on 32bit, either)

so I would certainly sympathise with Crispy for choosing this path.

I think this is throwing out the baby with the bathwater :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Hmm... seems complicated. I can't find any references to a 32-bit libdevil compatibility library in Gentoo. There are some emul-linux-x86-* packages that provide 32-bit compatibility for certain libraries 64-bit Gentoo, but libdevil doesn't appear to be among them. Not sure about libmng either.

If I'm reading it right, this guide appears to offer the ability to install an entire 32-bit Gentoo environment inside a 64-bit Gentoo environment, which may be capable of solving your problem but looks complicated and annoying.

I saw the guide but thought the same about it as you do. :( I've played Thief's Den previously (never played Thief by the way) but I wanted to play it again and try making some maps for it. I guess I'll just make some maps for Doom 3 since I started playing Resurrection of Evil again (I never got very far on it).

One of the reasons I like Gentoo is the great performance you get from having all or nearly all your applications compiled just for your system. I'd hate to not be utilizing the full capabilities of my hardware, especially when there are (for me) very few compatibility problems when using 64-bit Linux. I'm using the precompiled 32-bit Firefox because when I used the 64-bit version on Ubuntu with nspluginwrapper for Flash, I couldn't view fullscreen Flash video without crashing my browser and there were frequent freezeups when viewing a page with a Flash player embedded.

Edited by noerrorsfound

You definition of "effective" differs vastly from mine. How is the 32bit distribution gonna use my 4Gbytes (or more) memory, then?

I have 2 GB, and no particular need or desire for more at this point. So this is a non-issue for me.

As far as I know, D3 is the only program that has this issue (because it uses a library, that is slightly not-standard). Wine, Crossover etc etc. all work perfectly fine here.

A lot of proprietary software is only 32-bit. It's convenient to be able to run anything I can get my hands on (apart from games that don't work in Wine - but I can live with that).

I think this is throwing out the baby with the bathwater :)

I'm only throwing the baby out temporarily. There's a net to catch it on the way down once I decide I need it again. :P

Certainly I'll be switching to 64-bit eventually, just like the rest of the world. There's just no particular advantage for me in using a 64-bit OS right now, and a few notable disadvantages. So why hurry? They call it the cutting edge for a reason. ;)

I saw the guide but thought the same about it as you do. :( I've played Thief's Den previously (never played Thief by the way) but I wanted to play it again and try making some maps for it. I guess I'll just make some maps for Doom 3 since I started playing Resurrection of Evil again (I never got very far on it).

That's a shame. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :(

A thought - are you familiar at all with the process of compiling libraries under Linux from scratch (using tarballs - not using emerge)? If so, maybe it isn't too difficult to build your own compatibility libraries? (I honestly have no idea, it might be harder than it sounds.)

One of the reasons I like Gentoo is the great performance you get from having all or nearly all your applications compiled just for your system. I'd hate to not be utilizing the full capabilities of my hardware, especially when there are (for me) very few compatibility problems when using 64-bit Linux.

Yeah, I can see the appeal. Status quo is perfectly acceptable for me right at the moment though. I'd rather be doing actual work than worrying about performance tweaking. :) Same reason I've never overclocked anything. Why bother? (<---Rhetorical question alert!)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

If your distribution doesn't offer any way, you can always download a x86 package from any other distribution and extract the needed libraries manually. You can find the Debian / Ubuntu package for i386 on http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/i386/l...vil1c2/download or a Slackware package on http://www.linuxpackages.net/download.php?id=10571 for example. If you bought Ankh 1 / 2 or Jack Keane: they also come with a precompiled x86 library :)

Whereever you get the file from: Just copy it to your /usr/lib directory, eventually create a symlink (for example with "ln -s /usr/lib/libIL.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libIL.so") and you should be done.

Getlibs is purely for Debian-based distros I believe, or at least it has no ebuild in Portage. What can I use on Gentoo?

This is a doom3 mod so you need to:

# emerge devil

No seriously, that what it's called :-).

The Gentoo packages you need are "media-libs/devil" for libDevIL and "media-libs/libmng".

Thief's Den runs fine on 64-bit Gentoo stable. I've had it running on my AMD64 X2 for months now.

I think any recent Desktop profile should install the necessary 64-bit compatibility libs by default, unless you've explicitly excluded them, so being 64-bit is the least of your worries.

Here is my box:

$ uname -srmpi
 Linux 2.6.25-gentoo-r7 x86_64 AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ AuthenticAMD

$ eselect profile show
 Current make.profile symlink:
   /usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/amd64/2008.0/desktop 

$ eix media-libs/devil
[i] media-libs/devil
    Available versions:  1.6.7-r2 {X allegro gif jpeg mng opengl png sdl tiff xpm}
    Installed versions:  1.6.7-r2(20:01:57 16/02/08)(X gif jpeg opengl png sdl tiff -allegro -mng -xpm)
    Homepage:            [url="http://openil.sourceforge.net/"]http://openil.sourceforge.net/[/url]
    Description:         DevIL image library

$ eix libmng
[i] media-libs/libmng
    Available versions:  1.0.9-r1 1.0.10 {lcms}
    Installed versions:  1.0.10(20:14:52 05/04/08)(-lcms)
    Homepage:            [url="http://www.libmng.com/"]http://www.libmng.com/[/url]
    Description:         Multiple Image Networkgraphics lib (animated png's)

With those two installed just follow the instructions on the Wiki. You might also need p7zip if you don't already have it.

I assume you already have a working Doom3 install. I found patching D3 to be the trickiest part.

1.3.1.1304 is not in portage so you need the ebuild from here:

http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=167173

If you need help installing out of tree ebuilds this should be useful:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Installing_3rd_Party_Ebuilds

No disrespect to others trying to be helpful, but please don't go symlinking to foreign libraries - that way leads to madness. Installing stuff portage doesn't know about can only bring pain in the long run, usually when upgrading and long after you've forgotten what hacks you've made.

Plus it make it impossible for other Gentooists to help you since they won't be able to replicate your machine's behaviour.

Another complication is that D3 is currently masked in portage due to a security bug involving multiplayer.

You'll need to unmask it.

$ cat /etc/portage/package.unmask
##
#  These id games masked for security bug that only applies to non-punkbuster
#  on-line play.
games-fps/quake4-bin
=games-fps/doom3-1.3.1.1304

I think that about covers it.

I've been a long time lurker on this forum and just when I have something to contribute, new member registrations are closed. :-(

Big thanks to mOdEtWo for getting me on.

Edited by free_cogg

This is a doom3 mod so you need to:

# emerge devil

:o:D

Very nice to get some advice from someone who actually knows what he talks about! Can you add these tips to our wiki pages? If not, give me a prod and I do it.

Thanx!

I think any recent Desktop profile should install the necessary 64-bit compatibility libs by default, unless you've explicitly excluded them, so being 64-bit is the least of your worries.

Oh, it's automatic. That's handy! Also explains why I had trouble finding solutions via Google. :)

Thanks for dropping in and resolving this, and sorry about new member registrations being locked - those darn selfish spammers hurt everyone!

It would be nice to know if the OP has had any success. It's been a while since I installed it so I could have overlooked something.

I haven't had access to my Gentoo installation so I hadn't come back to check posts here.

When I installed Windows XP Pro x64 again (wiped it out accidentally when I installed Debian, which was before I replaced it with Gentoo), but Windows broke GRUB as usual, and I've tried every solution I could find and still can't get it to find the Linux kernel on my master HDD (Windows is installed to a small slave drive). :( Everything seems right; I'm hoping something didn't happen to the partition when I was trying to fix GRUB with the Gentoo LiveCD.