The Dark Mod Forums

Install Issues and Workaround

Howler

I ran into two initial problems when trying out TDM. I have a fix for one that I'll share in case anyone else encounters the same issue.

• TDM Update Crashes

Running tdm_update.exe results in a crash: 'tdm_update.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.' This happens shortly after the copyright line of text is displayed. A zero length tdm_mirrors.txt file is created. If I manually obtain a correct tdm_mirrors.txt file and run with tdm_update.exe --keep-mirrors, the same crash happens just after 'Fetching checksums from server...'. To workaround this problem, I used the torrent to get the game. Following the wiki suggestion of cleaning out %temp% did not solve this problem.

• Second start of game = Black screen with sound, invisible menus, and generic grey mouse cursor

The new 'DoomConfig.cfg' created after the first run of the game had a setting that would cause this error. Through trial and error I determined the setting I needed to update:

Change seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "0" to: seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"

Edited by Howler

By any chance, is your doom3 installed into your Program Files directory?

Great idea, thanks! I'm using the steam version of doom 3 that installs there by default. I just recursively disabled the default 'read only' settings inherited from 'Program Files' on certain directories under 'doom 3' and it's able to update now.

You may run into quite a lot of unexpected quirks running it there; Doom3 is very pedantic about portable paths (i.e: no spaces, generally lowercase directories), as such if you carry on having strange or unexpected behavior please consider moving it to somewhere like C:\doom3\ . This is then compounded by the read only and "applications should store settings and other files outside of program files" in varying versions of Windows.

But good to know you're sorted for now :)