The Dark Mod Forums

Zones

PinkDot

oDDity, why are you against it? It's just an extra feature. You don't know what someone could acheive with it. I have an idea.

Basically, all engines will their limits, and if someone ever wants to exceed those limits, this gives them a way. It's an option, not a straight jacket.

I'm not against load zones, I just can't see how we'd need them if Doom can handle LotP or Ambushed sized maps already.

Making an interconnected city is one use, but like I said, that's far off in the future.

THe absolute last thing I'd want to see in any map are load zones if it can possibly be avoided.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

But why, if it made a big mission, even bigger? I feel its a bit optimistic to say that no one will want them for a long time because the maps can be so huge.

What about a mission like Calendra's Legacy? Instead of splitting the town into two parts, played sequentially, with the only connection point being in your hotel room (imagine that, all the townsfolk bustling through your hotel room because it was the only way to get to the north side of town), you could have all the streets connect to the north side where they should, and the night of the living dead could happen ALL over town, not just on the north side.

Purah had time to make 3 missions - its conceivable that someone would want to make a mission worth the work of two T2 missions, into one big, loadzone connected mission.

Edited by Domarius

Load zones are more in the domain of the level designers. Supporting them is only a small issue (in theory), but what is be done with it, depends on the FM designer, and this will define if a load zone is a good thing or not. If I have a map where I must go back and forth every time because I always need the next thing from the other map, then it is a badly designed mission. It's is not a problem of the loadzone technique itself. If I have a big map and do most of the stuff in that map and the switch over because some other thing is missing, then it is ok.

Gerhard