The Dark Mod Forums

Independent mapper cvars and options

Fidcal

Dark Mod includes its own cvars prefixed with tdm_ but mappers will want to create their own both for control and to offer variety and options in FMs separate from the difficulty options. It's my belief that it will be useful to have a standard so these do not conflict and so players can set the same option that will work in any FM where mappers use the same cvar.

For this purpose I am proposing mapvars to be prefixed by mvr_. As an example, I have set up secrets in my next FM. Some players don't like a "Found a Secret" message popping up in the middle of the game so I am using mvr_show_secrets to let them turn off the messages. There can also be an optional objective eg, "Find 3 out of 5 secrets" but those who don't like secrets at all can ignore it.

I will eventually make available a script so anyone can easily set up secrets in their FMs (beg me now if you're in a hurry.) But anyone independently might set up secrets by their own method (may already have) or any options of endless possibilities. So it makes sense to me if we all use the same cvar. That way, any FM that players play, no matter which method is used, they can turn off secrets or any other mapper option.

Note that for the time being, mapvars are not supported by Dark Mod so they have to go in an autoexec.cfg. This does not need to be (nor indeed must NOT be) included with the FM zip. If the Dark Mod team decide to support mapvars then instead these can be put in DoomConfig.cfg.

Note that such mapvars do not affect any future official TDM features. For example, if TDM set up secrets incorporated into the code and resources they will no doubt use something like tdm_show_secrets. Mappers and players can start using those with no conflict. Existing maps using mvr_show_secrets will still work.

So probably the best way is to set up a wiki page with a kind of list or registry of mapvars. I await discussion before proceeding with that in case anything I have not foreseen is raised. For the present most of you will not realize the possibilities that mapvars will offer. Hopefully there will be mappers with enough imagination to use them where appropriate to enhance their FM.