The Dark Mod Forums

Thievery for UDK

Scope

Hey guys,

Was just over on the BCG forums for a nosey, its been a while since I last read the forums and I wanted to see if there were any developments in the Thievery section...

Its all been pretty quiet over there since "nightblade" was scrapped around mid 2009, and the Thievery mod has been in decline for years.

But I noticed this pretty new thread -

The end of a decade, but the start of an age..

Some of the forum vets (and some original team members by the looks of it), have gained the blessing of BCG to make a revamp on the Unreal Development Kit - A free UT3 tool kit for Indie developers.

For those who are not familliar (and I am guessing many of us are), Thievery is a UT99 mod bringing 'Looking Glass Studio's' vision of a Thief multiplayer game to life.

This saw enormous success back in the day, and a sequel (Nightblade) on the newer "Unreal engines" was in development for 5 years. It looked really promising, media update's were few and far between but what we did see was really exciting - however, for various reasons the development was not smooth and it was rethought 3 times, spanned 3 different engines and unfortunately it became the "duke nukem forever" of unreal mods finally being abandoned in 2009.

If there is one thing we have learned from duke nukem forever though, its that it is possible for a game project to come back from the dead and (eventually) see the light of day.

My expectations for this one are not high, but I thought I would drum up a little support and interest - and hopefully the grandaddy of multi-player stealth games might just see a modern re-release one day.

Check out thier moddb page and show your support -

Thievery for UDK - ModDb - watch this space!

Edited by Scope
-Scope

This sounds pretty cool, but I wish people would use a better engine. The UDK is not available for Linux and I doubt it will ever be. It would be cool if they used something like Unigine instead. We all know Doom 3 isn't a strong multi-player engine, what with Coop games featuring over 4 players becoming extremely laggy. What if these folks used the OGRE engine?

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I will be interested to see what comes of a UDK based Thief style game because it may portend what The Dark Mod will be like when Doom 3 goes GPL.

I have a strong intuition that Doom 3 will be granted a UE3 style deferred renderer by the open source community.

If that does not happen, it will be even more exciting to see Doom 3's immediate mode renderer be granted more modern abilities and face-off against UE3's approach with more of a fair fight.

Of course (being open source) we probably will see both outcomes (engine-wise), and Doom 3 will be forked into each render style respectively.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)