The Dark Mod Forums

Maya Export Problems

legion_x

Hey Dark Mod team, we're watching your mod turning out better and better. Now after your first ampshots and modelrenders you seems to continue sucessfully to give them motion. Well but taht's exactly our current problem with some of our models:

We, the Recall to Hell team, have had massive problems recently with exporting animated models from Maya 6.

The console prints the following error message:

"Copymesh: Too many vertices on a face (4)".

Here's a screenshot of the error: http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/4100/spidererror1ab.jpg

Logically, we assumed that triangulating the mesh would solve the problem, but it didn't.

As far as the export.def file and the bone setup are concerned, we don't expect any errors there, it seems to be something about the mesh itself.

Do you have any advice for us how to alter the mesh so we can finally get it ingame?

And do we need specific conditions for animating and importing?

That would be very kind of you!

Best Greetings, RTH Team

I get this sometimes as well, triangulating it in maya doesn't work for me either, so I just take it back into lightwave where I model it and triple it down.

I've no idea why triangulating the mesh doesn't work in maya.

Even if you take the model into a free app like blender I'm sure you can triple it and export it back to maya.

I don't know what you mean by 'specific conditions' for animating and importing.

The only things you need to know are that the model must be facing down the positve x axis, and for walk/run cycles, the forward movement must be applied to the origin bone, not the hips.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

@ oDDity:

That means you:

1. import the mesh from Maya to LW

2. triangulate it

3. export it back from LW to Maya

4. export from maya to game.

right? :huh:

BTW, Hi. :P

Recall to Hell

Dreams are built with bricks of thorns. Never dream you'll build your future without shedding a single drop of blood. ~ Satan.

Yes, or any app will do.

THe probelm may also be that there are some one or two point polys on the mesh, and that's why triangulaitng doesn't work, in which case you hit the 'w' key in lightwave to bring up the statistics, go into polygon mode, and make sure there is nothing but 3 pont polys in the model.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

good luck with your mod guys (RTH) :) i hope to play it when you're done :)

Why thank you guys. You people are so kind. Special thanks to oDDity for sharing his knowledge. :wub:

Recall to Hell

Dreams are built with bricks of thorns. Never dream you'll build your future without shedding a single drop of blood. ~ Satan.