The Dark Mod Forums

Dark Messiah Of Might & Magic

Al3xand3r

I made a new thread because the last one about the game has gone completely off topic and is now a discussion about Starforce, Steam, company practices, and id's ownage.

Anyway, the Might and Magic website has been updated with a new layout, character/enemy profiles, and some new videos for download or stream. The latest video shows gameplay with the assassin class. Thief fans will have a pleasant surprise after the first kill I think, I know I did.

Click me already!

That's no surprise, silly. ^_^

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?s=&am...ost&p=64447

It's weird how after most kills, or physics actions, there is always a brief fraction-of-a-second pause, where either the model repositions itself or something intensive calculates, or something... is that a side effect of Havok or just in every Valve game ever? I remember HL1 suffered from terrible stuttering.

Either way, looks great, as expected from Arkane. Too bad about you-know-what.

Enemies can be disarmed in DMoMM, perhaps you missed that happening? Can't bother watching the video again myself to see. I only viewed the YouTube version (low res) and didn't even notice he only has a shield when he does that.

Komag he means Steam,some people don't want to buy games that use it. If you want to discuss that please refer to the previous DmoMM thread, discussion ended up all about that instead of the game there. Let's not turn this thread into a copy of that :(

Edited by Al3xand3r

It's not there, don't think of it as an M&M game. Ubisoft bought the rights to the name for brand recognition alone but this game is completely unrelated to the original series. The universe itself is being created from scratch and they've said it won't include the sci-fi aspect anymore.

Heroes of Might & Magic V looks a bit more faithful to the tradition of HoM&M, though I don't think you'll be seeing sci-fi in that either.

Think of DMoMM as a fantasy action rpg by the wonderful developers of Arx Fatalis which will attempt to offer three different gameplay experiences depending on your class. There's no reason to be dissapointed by a good game (if it ends up one, things are looking promising) just because it's not a real part of a series you like.

Edited by Al3xand3r

It's just.... aaaargh. It's like somebody handed you a random (maybe even very good) fantasy book and told you that it's a continuation of LotR.

I would be much more eager to try this game if it didn't have M&M in the title.

Hell, ever since they didn't include The Forge (replacing it with Conflux) in Armageddon's Blade, I've been thoroughly disappointed and bitter with all things might and magic.

I remember watching my brother play the original Might and Magic back in like 1986 or whatever. I don't remember anything sci fi about it, it seemed to me to be pure fantasy, like Pool of Radiance, Bard's Tale, Wizardry, etc. Am I wrong?

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

The high technology is always well hidden as it's connected to the storiy behind the creation of theose worlds.

I'm not sure you could find a lot of it in MnM1 and 2, there cities in MnM3 looked rather futuristic, and there were spaceships in the later parts, that you could visit, fight the robots guarding them and grab their energy blasters.

This game looks rather interesting, and I like the extension to ragdolls Though, I do not like the delay in the animation to ragdoll transformation. I'm really hoping they eradicate it by release, as it would really bother me in game.

Well the brief pause could be a side effect of the recording or the video itself. I won't mind either way, it's probably something you get used to and not notice when you play a lot. The game looks extremely fun. Arx Fatalis had its fair share of problems but that didn't stop it from being an amazing game. The physics usage in this title looks rather high so I can understand a brief pause or a a few low fps seconds.

Check out this video as it showcases the level of interactivity much better:

Nah, everything else in the movies continue to move normally (including the player's mouse movement), whereas only the ragdolls freeze for a moment. In addition, I've seen this happen in several other Source Engine based games--just not as persistent as this.

Something like this wouldn't ruin the game for me, but it would definitely be quite disappointing.

Yep, you can also see it (and repositioning/warping? look at the swinging log kill in the orc fight) in the movie linked previously at least twice. It's weird, Valve is definitely known for stut-stut-stuttering in their games. They ought to hire someone who can fix that someday.