The Dark Mod Forums

Nine Inch Nails releases new album

phide

Early today, Nine Inch Nails released a 36-track, four part indstrumental album titled Ghosts. This comes in a number of flavors, from a two-disc CD version, to digitally distributed versions (high-quality MP3 as well as lossless FLAC and ALAC), to a $300 deluxe 4, high-grain LP vinyl set that includes CDs, a DVD, a Blu-ray disc, a large art book and signed prints.

Now, what's interesting here is not the album itself so much, nor the method in which it was released (Reznor did a similar sort of thing for Saul Williams' NiggyTardust! album). What's interesting is that he released it under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. This means that, essentially, one is free to share, remix and use the original or manipulated works in noncommercial projects (such as, say, The Dark Mod). Not only that, but Reznor & Co. also created the first torrent seeds for the first volume (nine tracks) and submitted them to the major tracking sites. As far as I know, this is a first for a major indepedent music artist, and, dare I say it, and incredible gesture from such a major artist like Trent Reznor. I was so floored by the idea that I plunked down $75 for the CD/DVD/Blu-ray/art book version after listening to the first few tracks.

Pretty wild stuff, I think -- and a very nice surprise for what would've been just another Monday.

I'd be really interested in tips on personal favorites, from NIN fans. Reason is, the vast majority of what I've heard is not my cup of tea. Not a huge surprise; we've all got our tastes, and I'm not a "many band" type of person, instead being fiercely dedicated to fewer bands and styles. But what intrigues the hell out of me, is that when this guy's good, he's good. I'm thinking of songs like Right Where it Belongs and Just Like You Imagined. These are simply excellent songs, and really stand out apart from the rest of the collection. Since you say this latest is instrumental, I'm doubly interested. Anyone have recommendations for songs that simply cannot be missed?

Yeah, that's what's going to happen. I think this is a valid approach, because artists should be first and foremost performers. Nothinding in their bunks and collecting money. I think there is not much the dinosaurs can do against it, unless they fight with GSG-9 or Navy Seals against the evil P2P people. :)

If to many people are doing it, then there is not much a goverment can do about it. And considering how democracy should work, I would think that this is a big statement for politicians if 60%, 70% or 90% of the people are doing something. :)

Gerhard