The Dark Mod Forums

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Unstoppable

LOL :laugh:

This game might just be good enough for Oddity to notice.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3167223

Heck GTA 4 is shaping up to have 100 hours of game play and an experience that will definitely not disappoint. I can't believe 2008 is going to be a bigger gaming year than 2007. It's crazy. :huh:

Me thinks Oddity should make a sculpture of this image.

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/images/340x395/340x395_270173.jpg

Anywho hats off to Oddity's nice work. So anyone here excited about MGS 4. Might just make me buy a Playstation 3.

Quote from article

Snake's health quickly becomes a legitimate concern in the game, and the game expertly illustrates this in subtle ways. In the heat of a shootout, you may see Snake grimace in pain and grab his lower back -- it's a nicely nuanced animation that really humanizes our hero, but potentially deadly at the same time -- one second of hesitation can quickly lead to a life-ending ambush. You'll have to constantly regulate Snake's condition by keeping an eye on the new Psyche and Stress gauges: Psyche reflects how Snake's mind reacts to the battle around him (when things get too crazy, he'll have trouble aiming) while Stress combines mental and physical factors (high stress can lead to a Combat High, a period of heightened accuracy and defense that unfortunately segues into a sluggish, post-high crash.)

end quote

Edited by Unstoppable

I like the elements of realism, and I've advocated them in the past for TDM, but MGS is still just a shooter.

I like to see those elements of realism, but in a complex, intelligent and compelling game (that will never be made)

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I like the elements of realism, and I've advocated them in the past for TDM, but MGS is still just a shooter.

I like to see those elements of realism, but in a complex, intelligent and compelling game (that will never be made)

I challenge you to play The Graveyard. An indie game that is free to play. I also would like to see your take on it :D.

http://www.tale-of-tales.com/TheGraveyard/

Did you ever get to play Zelda: The Ocarina of Time? It is quite simply the perfect game.

I've never understood the appeal of the MGS series. Half the game is spent watching cutscenes (that try to convince players that the game has an appealing storyline), while the other half is fighting the horrendously-stupid control scheme and camera setup. At least this was my experience with the games on the PS1 and PS2. Splinter Cell fared better on the consoles, I think, but third-person stealth-action games simply don't work.

I've also read that one of the designers of this particular title has some strange objection to compressing game assets and has actually complained about Blu-ray's capacity being limiting. What an ass!

I've never understood the appeal of the MGS series. Half the game is spent watching cutscenes (that try to convince players that the game has an appealing storyline), while the other half is fighting the horrendously-stupid control scheme and camera setup. At least this was my experience with the games on the PS1 and PS2. Splinter Cell fared better on the consoles, I think, but third-person stealth-action games simply don't work.

I've also read that one of the designers of this particular title has some strange objection to compressing game assets and has actually complained about Blu-ray's capacity being limiting. What an ass!

Lol that's funny about the designer. He's just cocky. As for Third person stealth action games not working, I wholeheartedly disagree. Sales numbers come to mind. Splinter Cell is multi million dollar selling franchise. So how do they not work?

Have you played Splinter Cell: Double Agent online? It is quite good :D.

As for MGS, I played the first one on the modified Gamecube version. It was good somewhat great but I failed to see the appeal just like you. However I find that it is because people that like MGS perhaps might not know much about real life scenarios. (Special ops etc)

Thus they lean on MGS for their special ops/tactical gameplay/sneaker fix. Just like I would lean on Thief for my sneaking fix.

As for Third person stealth action games not working, I wholeheartedly disagree. Sales numbers come to mind. Splinter Cell is multi million dollar selling franchise. So how do they not work?

I, as a gamer, don't equate a game's success to its sales numbers. Consider the Thief series: critically acclaimed and extensively well-received, yet the first two games didn't sell fantastically well. You can also lump a lot of Interplay/Black Isle games in this category, like Planescape: Torment and the cult-smash Fallout. Interplay basically broke even on the first two Fallout games from what I've read. Now consider the handful of humdrum, boring-ass console titles that have outsold all expectations purely because they were well-marketed: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Halo 3, BioShock and so on. Not bad games, certainly, but formuliac and uninnovative, absolutely (though BioShock was probably worth the $50 purely because the presentation -- the visuals and audio -- is so damn impressive).

The game itself doesn't change with respect to how well it's sold, so it's an irrelevant factor to me. A successful game is an enjoyable game. A game that constantly fights with me because I can't adequately control the main character? Not exactly fun.

Thus they lean on MGS for their special ops/tactical gameplay/sneaker fix. Just like I would lean on Thief for my sneaking fix.

I'd rather lean on a solid tactical game like Rainbow Six: Raven Shield, which, to me, was the perfect melding of realistic tactical action and enjoyable gameplay, though it doesn't have much of a stealth element. Still, I consider Thief to be as tactical as any Splinter Cell game, just presented in a different manner.

The thing is it's not just marketing. It's mainstream. Splinter Cell is a game a newbie to PC gaming can play or video gaming in general. (Consoles) That is what set it apart from Thief.

Thief was hard for someone new to get into. I played it and it took a while to get adjusted. It was scary and challenging. People get turned off by that very easily. They are scared.

The same goes for Deus Ex. I was intimidated by it's complex RPG system. Now I laugh at myself because it's not hard at all once you understand it.

The process of learning the game is the hardest sell. That is why I believe games are being made a bit easier to learn. Bioshock is a perfect example of that.

It was a great game and I beat it. However it lacked replay value and could of used more depth. A sacrifice so that it can be more mainstream. I don't see it as a bad thing that much because I want the creators to make money.

You don't make money, you can't keep making games. Bioshock struck a good balance between the old and the new.

@Sneaksie: That statement is completely true in the context it was intended, i.e. as applied to making games for a living.

It's true that modders and hobbyist game developers don't have the money problem so much, but they do have their own (arguably harsher) set of problems.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Not meaning to sound like a snot, but sometimes it's silly how much one needs to qualify their statements online. I know full well about making a living, since even before finishing high school almost two decades ago.

We wouldn't be making TDM if certain publishers thought about more than bottom lines. There's a reason investors diversify, and keeping Thief afloat would've shown a bit more integrity toward gaming art than trying to cash in on The Romero. That integrity and the resulting fan loyalty would have served their business needs better in the long run.

Are you talking about John Romero? That's in the past. The mistake was as I've stated placing someone in a leadership role who has shown he can't lead. In Ionstorm Austin anyway.

This is a totally new development team. It might have some of the old as well as they bring in people for Thief 4. (Also might be some vets in the Deus Ex 3 project)

Anyway we're getting out of topic. Long live Deus Ex and Thief wooot!

Not meaning to sound like a snot, but sometimes it's silly how much one needs to qualify their statements online.

You started it, by taking Unstoppable's statement out of context in the first place. ;)

We wouldn't be making TDM if certain publishers thought about more than bottom lines.

Arguably true, but irrelevant to this conversation, since nobody else has said anything about money being the only consideration. It's "merely" a very important one.

If the extra cash from making Bioshock a little more mass-market-friendly allows 2K (aka Irrational Games) to take a bigger creative risk with their next project, then I for one consider that to be a very good thing.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

There are two kinds of people in game development, those who care about quality, and those who care about money. The money guys always win in the end, because they are in control, and because of the simple fact that too many people want to make a living in what is considered by some a kewl job (game development) even if that means producing cheap trash and tossing any principals they may have in the bin.

Even the few people with integrity who decide to take a stand and leave don't make any difference, because they are immediately replaced with some more lackeys on their little career curves.

That is why the industry is, and has been, on a huge downward spiral, and will continue in that direction until it can't get any worse and something has to be done.

There may be a few good guys left out there still fighting their corner, but they can't win. Publishers want to employ yes-men in game studios, not radicals.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site