The Dark Mod Forums

All views (orthos, camera) don't work on one screen, but do on other

So I'm trying a different (older) driver set for my ATI Radeon X1600

(and yes, I know I'll probably have to try another driver set...)

BUT, this is a very weird problem!

When I have DR open, the views only work on the SECOND monitor, the one I have "extended" my desktop to. If I go into my monitor properties and switch which on is the primary monitor and which is the second, then DR also switches which screen the views will work on, again only on the secondary screen. That's crazy!

The views just don't get updated. If I drag an ortho view window over to the primary monitor, then go to scroll the map over a bit, I can't see any change at all. But then when I drag the window back over to the secondary screen and scroll the map a tiny bit it then jumps to where I actually scrolled it when it was on the primary screen.

I've tried a lot but can't seem to find any settings (DR or monitor) that fixes this.

I assume it's some sort of Open GL problem?

In the DR console it says a whole ton of junk, but here are a few possibly relevant lines:

Default screen has 2 monitors.
Monitor 0 geometry: 1440x900 at 1280, 0
Monitor 1 geometry: 1280x800 at 0, 0
OpenGL window configuration: colour-buffer = 32bpp, depth-buffer = none
OpenGL window configuration: colour-buffer = 32bpp, depth-buffer = 32bpp
ToolbarManager: Instantiating toolbar: texture
EventManager: Shortcuts found in Registry: 318
Definition not found:

I know greebo's gone, but anyone have any ideas?

Incidentally, setting up the monitors as a "stretched" desktop gets DR working across both of them, but that's a sucky solution since the actual LCDs are different native resolutions and doing "strech" they have to be set the exact same, a crappy lowest common denominator solution. So that method is completely unacceptable, especially since I've had DR working GREAT across two screens with "extended" before.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

What exactly do you mean when you say that the views don't work? Do you mean you cannot drag the windows, or that their contents disappears, or a crash, or something else?

GTK does have functions for dealing with screens, but I don't know much about this issue since I have only ever had a single monitor.

I added a paragraph which may have gotten in after you read past that part:

----

The views just don't get updated. If I drag an ortho view window over to the primary monitor, then go to scroll the map over a bit, I can't see any change at all. But then when I drag the window back over to the secondary screen and scroll the map a tiny bit it then jumps to where I actually scrolled it when it was on the primary screen.

----

I've just done some more haggling and found something interesting. It all works fine if I have the secondary screen ONE THE RIGHT of the primary, which is the windows default position. As soon as I move the screen to be on the left (which is how it needs to be since that screen is physically on the left), the views will actually continue to work on the primary UNTIL I move one to secondary (even partially). As soon as part of the view is on the secondary, the primary half quits updating and never will again, even aftering moving it back. Any views that I leave on primary will continue to work/update, so long as I never "poison" them by letting them touch the secondary.

If I poison them all, put them all on primary so they are broke, then change the monitor setup so the extended is on the right, I can then proceed to "cure" each window by putting it at least partially on the secondary screen and fiddling with it.

Crazy stuff.

Yeah that does sound like an OpenGL problem, possibly your graphics drivers are not keeping track of which physical screen each GL viewport is on (or something like that). I have frequently heard of problems with OpenGL/hardware acceleration and dual head setups, particularly with ATI.

hmm, well I guess I'll try another driver set then. These are the Catalyst 7.11. The ones I had before (8.5) worked fine for this, but I have a separate problem I'm trying to get rid of (wacko skewed textures in camera view) by trying some older drivers.