The Dark Mod Forums

lost textures and grid

I updated SVN and compiled a new version, then installed it with "make install".

First DR lost the grid (it was simple there but not rendered) and a few days ago it lost the textures so everything looks like that:

post-144-1226177036_thumb.jpg

I guess maybe installing the new version over the old one destroyed something? Where should I under linux to fix this? :blink:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Hm, I noticed the files under /usr/local/share/darkradiant are from october 17th, so I remembered that maybe I did the "make install" not as root.

Doing

sudo make install

now resulted in a recompile and this error:

test -z "/usr/local/lib/darkradiant/modules" || /bin/mkdir -p "/usr/local/lib/darkradiant/modules"
/bin/bash ../../libtool   --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c  'eventmgr.la' '/usr/local/lib/darkradiant/modules/eventmgr.la'
libtool: install: warning: relinking `eventmgr.la'
(cd /home/te/src/darkradiant/plugins/eventmanager; /bin/bash ../../libtool  --tag=CXX --mode=relink g++ -g -O2 -DPOSIX -module -avoid-version -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lxml2 -o eventmgr.la -rpath /usr/local/lib/darkradiant/modules Accelerator.lo Command.lo EventManager.lo Modifiers.lo MouseEvents.lo Toggle.lo WidgetToggle.lo ../../libs/xmlutil/libxmlutil.la )
g++ -shared -nostdlib /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.3/../../../../lib/crti.o /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.3/crtbeginS.o  .libs/Accelerator.o .libs/Command.o .libs/EventManager.o .libs/Modifiers.o .libs/MouseEvents.o .libs/Toggle.o .libs/WidgetToggle.o  -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib/darkradiant -L/usr/lib -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0 -lxml2 -L/usr/local/lib/darkradiant -lxmlutil -L/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.3 -L/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.3/../../../../lib -L/lib/../lib -L/usr/lib/../lib -L/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.3/../../.. -lstdc++ -lm -lc -lgcc_s /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.3/crtendS.o /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.3/../../../../lib/crtn.o  -Wl,-soname -Wl,eventmgr.so -o .libs/eventmgr.so
g++: /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.3/../../../../lib/crti.o: No such file or directory
g++: /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.3/../../../../lib/crtn.o: No such file or directory
libtool: install: error: relink `eventmgr.la' with the above command before installing it
make[3]: *** [install-modulesLTLIBRARIES] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/te/src/darkradiant/plugins/eventmanager'
make[2]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/te/src/darkradiant/plugins/eventmanager'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/te/src/darkradiant/plugins'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

After looking a while puzzled, it turns out that on my system /usr/lib/gcc is a symlink, and /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.3/../../../../lib/ is not the same as /usr/lib (as it should be) but actually points to the parent directory of the symlink target. Ooops.

I'll remove the symlink as I have no idea how to fix the build not to build such crazy relative links :)

Recompiling now, hopefully that fixes the issue :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

The install worked and DR starts again, but the issue is not solved. Still everything is grey, and the grid is missing. Anybody got an idea why? :mellow:

Woa, more fun. I try selecting the "game directory" and as soon as I change it and press ok, it gives me this:

te@te-laptop:~/src/darkradiant$ darkradiant
darkradiant: /usr/include/boost/shared_ptr.hpp:315: T* boost::shared_ptr<T>::operator->() const [with T = IShader]: Assertion `px != 0' failed.
Aborted

:ph34r:

Managed to get the grid back by changing the appr. settings flag.

But the camera view is still grey (and some entities are grey boxes instead) and I cannot change the game setting. Giving up for now.

Is there anything of note in the darkradiant.log file? The last couple of times I have tried compiling DR on my work machine, the image loaders have not existed for some reason, and all of the textures show up white.

Is there anything of note in the darkradiant.log file? The last couple of times I have tried compiling DR on my work machine, the image loaders have not existed for some reason, and all of the textures show up white.

AH! The log file is in ~./darkradiant/darkradiant.log

and it contains that entry:

ModuleLoader: Loading module '/usr/local/lib/darkradiant/modules/image.so'
WARNING: Failed to load module /usr/local/lib/darkradiant/modules/image.so:
/usr/local/lib/darkradiant/modules/image.so: undefined symbol: jpeg_create_decompress

I noticed that "Darkmod plugins: No" was output by configure, so I rerun it with:

./configure --enable-darkmod-plugins

and now recompile. Maybe that does the trick.

Edit: No dice.

Looking at ldd /usr/local/lib/darkradiant/modules/image.so I see:

libjpeg.so.62 => /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62 (0xb7999000)

However, /usr/local/lib/darkradiant/modules/image.so says:

# Libraries that this one depends upon.
dependency_libs=' /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.la /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.la /usr/lib/libatk-1.0.la /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.la /usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.la /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.la /usr/lib/libcairo.la -lfreetype -lz -lfontconfig -lpng12 -lXrender -lX11 -lpixman-1 /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.la /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.la -ldl /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.la ***--> /usr/local/lib/darkradiant/libjpeg.la <--**** /usr/local/lib/darkradiant/libdds.la'

Something seems to get confused which jpeg library to use. :blink:

image.so should definitely not have any external dependency on libjpeg, it should link to the local DarkRadiant-internal JPEG library, which it does on my machine. I wonder if there is a difference in the way the linking works on a 64-bit OS.

What are the dependencies of the image.so in <srcdir>/plugins/image/.libs before it has been installed?

image.so should definitely not have any external dependency on libjpeg, it should link to the local DarkRadiant-internal JPEG library, which it does on my machine. I wonder if there is a difference in the way the linking works on a 64-bit OS.

That compile is on my 32bit laptop :)

What are the dependencies of the image.so in <srcdir>/plugins/image/.libs before it has been installed?

# Libraries that this one depends upon.
dependency_libs=' /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.3/../../../../lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.la /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.3/../../../../lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.la /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.3/../../../../lib/libatk-1.0.la /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.la /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.3/../../../../lib/libpangocairo-1.0.la /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.3/../../../../lib/libpango-1.0.la /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.3/../../../../lib/libcairo.la -lfreetype -lz -lfontconfig -lpng12 -lXrender -lX11 -lpixman-1 /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.3/../../../../lib/libgobject-2.0.la /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.3/../../../../lib/libgmodule-2.0.la -ldl /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.3/../../../../lib/libglib-2.0.la /home/te/src/darkradiant/libs/jpeg6/libjpeg.la /home/te/src/darkradiant/libs/ddslib/libdds.la'

/home/te/src/darkradiant/libs/jpeg6/libjpeg.la says:

# Names of this library.
library_names='libjpeg-0.9.8.so libjpeg-0.9.8.so libjpeg.so'

and:

$ dir /usr/lib/libjpeg.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2008-03-15 22:12 /usr/lib/libjpeg.so -> libjpeg.so.62.0.0

Hm.

The compiled image.so and the installed version differ:

$ ldd /usr/local/lib/darkradiant/modules/image.so

libjpeg.so.62 => /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62 (0xb7939000)

$ ldd plugins/image/.libs/image.so
	libjpeg-0.9.8.so => /home/te/src/darkradiant/libs/jpeg6/.libs/libjpeg-0.9.8.so (0xb7950000)

Hmm, the link should be fixed up during the make install phase, so that it points directly to $PREFIX/lib/darkradiant/libjpeg-0.9.8.so, rather than the system one. Do you get any messages during make install relating to this, maybe libtool is confused about which library to use?

Maybe we can just get rid of the internal libjpeg for Linux, since it is available on every Linux system and the code hasn't actually changed in about 10 years.

Yeah, using the system lib on linux is fine.

I get these warnings during make install:

libtool: install: warning: relinking `eventmgr.la'
libtool: install: warning: relinking `eclassmgr.la'
libtool: install: warning: relinking `eclasstree.la'
libtool: install: warning: relinking `entity.la'
libtool: install: warning: relinking `entitylist.la'
libtool: install: warning: relinking `filters.la'
libtool: install: warning: relinking `image.la'
libtool: install: warning: relinking `mapdoom3.la'
libtool: install: warning: relinking `md5model.la'
libtool: install: warning: relinking `model.la'
libtool: install: warning: relinking `scenegraph.la'
libtool: install: warning: relinking `shaders.la'
libtool: install: warning: relinking `uimanager.la'
libtool: install: warning: relinking `xmlregistry.la'
libtool: install: warning: relinking `sound.la'
libtool: install: warning: relinking `dm_stimresponse.la'
libtool: install: warning: relinking `dm_objectives.la'
libtool: install: warning: relinking `dm_difficulty.la'

And here is the corrosponding output, note the "-ljpeg" in the second line :)

/bin/bash ../../libtool   --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c  'image.la' '/usr/local/lib/darkradiant/modules/image.la'
(cd /home/te/src/darkradiant/plugins/image; /bin/bash ../../libtool  --tag=CXX --mode=relink g++ -g -O2 -DPOSIX -module -avoid-version -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0 -o image.la -rpath /usr/local/lib/darkradiant/modules dds.lo image.lo bmp.lo jpeg.lo ImageGDK.lo pcx.lo tga.lo ../../libs/jpeg6/libjpeg.la ../../libs/ddslib/libdds.la )
g++ -shared -nostdlib /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.4/../../../../lib/crti.o /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.4/crtbeginS.o  .libs/dds.o .libs/image.o .libs/bmp.o .libs/jpeg.o .libs/ImageGDK.o .libs/pcx.o .libs/tga.o  -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib/darkradiant -L/usr/lib -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0 -L/usr/local/lib/darkradiant -ljpeg -ldds -L/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.4 -L/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.4/../../../../lib -L/lib/../lib -L/usr/lib/../lib -L/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.4/../../.. -lstdc++ -lm -lc -lgcc_s /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.4/crtendS.o /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.4/../../../../lib/crtn.o  -Wl,-soname -Wl,image.so -o .libs/image.so
/usr/bin/install -c .libs/image.soT /usr/local/lib/darkradiant/modules/image.so
/usr/bin/install -c .libs/image.lai /usr/local/lib/darkradiant/modules/image.la
PATH="$PATH:/sbin" ldconfig -n /usr/local/lib/darkradiant/modules

Right, so the compiler is just using a -L/-l combination which may or may not override the library paths already given, so the solution is either not to have a local library named the same as a system library, or to use the system libjpeg in the first place. I think the second option is the better choice.

Right, so the compiler is just using a -L/-l combination which may or may not override the library paths already given, so the solution is either not to have a local library named the same as a system library, or to use the system libjpeg in the first place. I think the second option is the better choice.

My gut feeling is the same. However, no matter which option we use, one of them would be nice :) Looking at maps in white-lightgrey is a bit depressive :)

Changes committed, DR is now using system JPEG on Linux systems.

Thanx.

So many things wrong with that sentence. And you quoted the entire preceding post just to write one line. You fail at netiquette. Please stop trolling.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

So many things wrong with that sentence. And you quoted the entire preceding post just to write one line. You fail at netiquette. Please stop trolling.

I was going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was being ironic.

No I was being serious, compared to windows, unix based OSes seem complicated to get things running, when they start talking about compiling packages for different releases etc.

And I wasn't trolling, just making a comment :blush:

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

No I was being serious, compared to windows, unix based OSes seem complicated to get things running, when they start talking about compiling packages for different releases etc.

That would be a reasonable observation in certain cases; the mistake is assuming that this is The Reason why Windows is dominant, while ignoring the vast marketing and commercial advantages that Windows has, and the fact that Linux continues to increase its market share against Windows in spite of these.

I like linux I really do, but when people start having problems installing programs on their distro, the answers to get them to work are scary complicated and technical. It's the only reason I wouldn't want to use linux, I'm too used to just installing things with installers and not having to worry about anything else.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.