The Dark Mod Forums

Problems with installation - some questions about wiki

Unwanted Guest

Hi,

Even though I've done this once, on another computer months ago, having problems now - was something changed on the WIKI page?

Windows users

You'll need to install the Doom 3 patch 1.3.1 and copy the DevIL.dll (shipped with Darkmod) library to your C:\Windows\system32 folder otherwise D3 will crash.

I downloaded DOOM3

I can play Doom

I do not find the DevIL.dll anywhere. At first I thought it came with the patch, but that is not the case - I even did a search on it, nothing was found. I do not see it in files associated with the doom.exe which came from the game

In order to install The Dark Mod, you need to have the v1.3.1 patch for Doom 3 installed. See the download section below for links. Make sure that the install path for Doom 3:

• does not contain any blanks (e.g. C:/doom3 is ok, C:/Program files/Doom3 is not)
  • is in all lowercase (e.g. /usr/local/lib/doom3 is ok, /home/username/MyDoom is not)

Once downloaded do I "run" the patch? when I do, a window opens up and at the bottom after some lines are written I get an error.

Where is the blank that is mentioned? Does this mean Doom3 cannot be put in "Program Files" as "Program Files" is the "blank" between C:/ and Doom3? I have Doom3 in a folder called Doomgame in C:/

Install on Windows

1. Download the DarkMod package, see below.

What is the package? is it the patch? There is nothing else at "see below". except for link for Linux runners, and their patch.

I never got the command/shortcut to lucia to work. Just linked to the game through doom3 main screen -

I beleive I have to do all of the above successfully before I download dark radiant...

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Unwanted Guest

I downloaded DOOM3
You downloaded Doom 3? As in STEAM or some other service?
Note: If you are using the Steam version of Doom 3, try C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\doom 3 as the path to your Doom installation.

As for the "DevIL.dll", There should be one in your doom3/saintlucia directory as soon as you run the Tears of Saint Lucia installer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where is the blank that is mentioned? Does this mean Doom3 cannot be put in "Program Files" as "Program Files" is the "blank" between C:/ and Doom3?

A better work than 'blank' might be 'space.' as in between words: "Program Files/Doom 3."

1. Download the DarkMod package, see below.

What is the package? is it the patch?

That'd be the big 450mb file that is The Dark Mod Alpha release.

Torrent:

Mirrors:

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

You downloaded Doom 3? As in STEAM or some other service?

As for the "DevIL.dll", There should be one in your doom3/saintlucia directory as soon as you run the Tears of Saint Lucia installer.

A better work than 'blank' might be 'space.' as in between words: "Program Files/Doom 3."

That'd be the big 450mb file that is The Dark Mod Alpha release.

Torrent:

Mirrors:

Mortem Desino,

My Doom box just says Doom3, nothing else that I see where there could be listed steam or whatever.

Thank you for taking the time to answer, it is very helpful - I'll be working on it!

Thanks again

Edited by Unwanted Guest

I suggest you use one of the following two pages instead of the Installation page:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/...en#Installation (for Thief's Den)

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/Saint_Lucia (for Saint Lucia)

The Installation page is not well-written and can be confusing. Those other two pages are better.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Thanks, did do that, and now am fighting a problem...

I downloaded both St Lucia and Theifs' Den into the doom folder.

When I go to launch the game, ID loads, get the screen with Mods on the bottom, click that, see Doom and Dark Mod Thief universe listed, click on Dark Mod Thief's Universe, screen goes blank, then id appears to load again and am taken back to the screen showing the Mods on the bottom. Stuck in a circle here.

(I once had this up and running on this computer to play St Lucia & worked, but for some reason deleted the whole lot ( Doom and all) now want to reload everything to work in Darkradiant.)

Paying more attention to details,

I noted in St Lucia wiki it says........

To do this the DLL must be copied in the windows/system32 directory. The DLL can also be put in any other directory where a path is pointing to (meaning that the directory is included in the PATH environment variable when Doom 3 is run). If the library is not found when the mod is loaded, Doom 3 will show its blue window and can not be started.

The Thief's Den wiki says

You MUST copy this into your C:\games\doom3 folder OR your C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder (where it can be shared by other applications. If there is already one there then use the newest date.)

I guess I read St Lucia as DLL can go into the sys32 and also be put into another directory ( ie., you have 2 of them in different places)

Well made sure I only had one DevIL on my computer, ( in windows Sys32) removed Den and assocaited files from my doom folder, and still everthing runs in circles.

If no one has a suggestion, I may have to delete the whole thing and start over.

Thanks

Matt

Made a slight headway, if I do not open the game via the new shortcuts with the new paths as suggested in the Wiki's - but use the game application in the Doom folder I get a little further, I seen the Darkmod page come up for St Lucia for a second, then get a runtime error.

Hmmm

M

Go to the saintlucia directory and backup your darkmod.ini, you're going to be making some changes.

Open darkmod.ini with a text editor and you'll find these lines near the top :

LogError=1
LogBegin=1
LogEnd=1
LogDebug=0
LogWarning=0
LogInfo=0

Change those six parameters to be

LogError=0
LogBegin=0
LogEnd=0
LogDebug=0
LogWarning=0
LogInfo=0

Then try starting up saintlucia.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Mortem,

Thanks again for your reply, but unforturnately it did not work.

I then started to move things around and really goofed things up quite well

I've deleted and reinstalled doom, and will try to reinstall Lucia/darkmod and see what happens this time. I had it working once before! - that was what was so frustrating this last time

Thanks again,

I'll be back if I still have problems.

Thanks!