The Dark Mod Forums

Bug In TDM Version Query Message With Server Connect Failure

NightStalker

Greetings,

I noticed that there's a minor bug in TDM 2.04 whereby clicking on the version string shown in the lower left corner of the main menu when the TDM server is unreachable (e.g. when you don't have Internet access) causes the wrong message ("Most recent TDM Version is: %d.%02d") to appear:

post-37882-0-16850900-1480904705.jpg

The bug is still in the latest SVN too, so I've patched a fix against the latest SVN (see attached patch file). This yields the correct message ("Cannot connect to server."), as shown here:

post-37882-0-39561000-1480904779.jpg

If someone with SVN checkin privilege could apply that simple patch, I'd appreciate it. Or should this be entered in the bugtracker? If so, does that need a separate login/password than the forum uses? (It seems to, but I want to be sure.)

Thanks!

wrong-message-on-game-version-check.patch.txt

• Like 2

Oops!

I just noticed that there's another minor bug in the same area of the code (but this one only affects the console output, which explains why I missed it).

An illegal string number ("#str_2002") is used which results in a warning message about it in the console under the same circumstances as described in the OP.

Sorry for not noticing this earlier. :blush:

Please apply the attached 1-line patch (made against latest SVN). It basically adds the missing leading zero to the string number, causing the correct message ("Connection Error.") to appear in the console instead of the warning.

It also removes the superfluous period ('.') character, since there's already a period at the end of the string's definition, preventing ".." at the end of the console message. The patch also updates the comment on that same line to reflect the actual string value (i.e. with the period).

A lot of verbiage for a very small fix, eh? :laugh:

Tested against 2.04 but not against SVN.

Thanks!
illegal_console_message_on_version_check_failure.patch.txt

Svn rev 6720, not tested.

Many thanks!

Personally I often commit a sin of not explaining my code enough.

Every coder, myself included, is probably guilty of that at some point in their life. :blush: The cure is usually to be forced to work (sometimes repeatedly) with someone else's code who has previously committed the same sin! :D

EDIT: spelling

Edited by NightStalker