The Dark Mod Forums

Shaders Plugin Cannot Parse Recursive Addnormals() [closed]

The current shader parser is coded to accept addnormals(<imagemap>, <imagemap>), but does not accept addnormals(<mapexpression>, <mapexpression> recursively. This causes a parse failure on tdm_ai_builders.mtr (for example) since there is a shader which contains addnormals(image, heightmap(image)), which means that the build guard textures are not loaded and the builder guard shows up with notex.bmp.

I will probably handle this by adding another function to parse the addnormals() expression recursively. I have also added a catch() block in parseShaderFile() to print out the parse exceptions, which for some reason were previously being silently discarded leaving us unaware just how many .mtr files were not properly parsed.

The problem was that the exceptions were hidden, therefore you would assume that the code was working rather than seeing immediately that there was a problem. I am not entirely sure why this was, but at least they are visible now.

Very basic parsing functionality is now there -- the addnormals() function is parsed recursively, but the result is probably useless as only the last image map seen will be saved. I need to change this so that a propery tree-based data structure is constructed from the recursive parse, which can be evaluated at a later time in order to produce the correct image.

I am closing this since the syntax is parsed correctly, although the MapExpression implementation should be improved (for instance, there should be a way of generating the resulting image from a parse tree rather than just searching for any image map to display).