The Dark Mod Forums

Some entities/models missing

Just open candles.map and you will see what I mean:

post-144-1226684881_thumb.jpg

post-144-1226684897_thumb.jpg

Interestingly enough, the map still works fine in game, even after saving from DR and dmapping.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Is this just this map or does the error occur on other occasions?

I seen some "shader missing" in other maps, too.

Wait, could this be the deprecated entities?

Not really, the "lantern_oil" is not depracted actually. Likewise the chandle holders are the new ones.

I saw and fixed a few warnings from DarkRadiant.log, maybe it is related to some parsing problem? (Some of the problems I fixed were silly ones like fixing it by inserting a newline in a skin etc.)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

It seems to be caused by the way the entityDefs are set up and the way DarkRadiant is interpreting the entity classes.

Right now, DarkRadiant tries to judge an entity in this order:

- Is it a light? Create a LightNode

- Is it not of "fixed size" (no editor_mins/maxs)? Create a Doom3Group (func_static-type)

- Is it an entity which inherits a "model" spawnarg? Create an eclass model

- Is there a "speaker" classname? Create a speakernode

- Else: Create a GenericEntityNode (the green boxes with arrows)

What we have here in for example atdm:moveable_lantern_oil_hand_colorme is the following:

- No non-inherited "model" spawnarg

- No "editor_mins/maxs"

- Not a light

- Not a speaker

DarkRadiant hence believes it is a "non-fixed size" entity and creates a Doom3Group, but this doesn't work as there are no child primitives or anything.

This reveals how wonky the "model" spawnarg support in DarkRadiant really is.

I can do the following: I teach the EClassModel entity node to request inherited "model" spawnargs, but this only fixes half of the problem (edit: change committed to SVN). DarkRadiant still believes it is a non-fixed-size entity, hence you need to add the "editor_mins" and "editor_maxs" spawnargs to the entityDef (somewhere in the hierarchy).

The good solution would be to redesign the entity classes (something I wanted to do anyway), but it's unrealistic assuming I would get around to do this in the near future.

It seems to be caused by the way the entityDefs are set up and the way DarkRadiant is interpreting the entity classes.

I can do the following: I teach the EClassModel entity node to request inherited "model" spawnargs, but this only fixes half of the problem (edit: change committed to SVN). DarkRadiant still believes it is a non-fixed-size entity, hence you need to add the "editor_mins" and "editor_maxs" spawnargs to the entityDef (somewhere in the hierarchy).

The good solution would be to redesign the entity classes (something I wanted to do anyway), but it's unrealistic assuming I would get around to do this in the near future.

Thanx for the quick fix. But still ugh :( What I wonder is, why this has worked before but broke somehow when I reorganozed the entities? Still not quite clear on your explanation, it sounds quite confusing.

Adding the "min" max" editor params is:

* a lot of work!

* and creates these ugly orange (or colored) boxes, e.g. not the model of f.i. the candle holder

Is there a way to teach DR to see these as "model" entities?

Ugh :( What I wonder is, why this has worked before but broke somehow when I reorganozed the entities?

I assume most other entityDefs have either the "model" spawnarg or the "editor_mins/maxs" spawnargs set on them.

Adding the "min" max" editor params is: * a lot of work!

You don't need to define it on every entity, just somewhere up the inheritance tree. This isn't a lot of work, is it?

* and creates these ugly orange (or colored) boxes, e.g. not the model of f.i. the candle holder

No, it shouldn't create these, as long as a "model" key is set somewhere on the inherited ones (the code I just checked in allows this).

Is there a way to teach DR to see these as "model" entities?

As I said, the entity classes should be consolidated and their behaviour improved, but this is a lot of work, and I won't get around to pull this off in just a few days. This takes an uninterrupted week of coding time, when I'm having a run. Right now, I'm trying to focus on the mod's inventory code.

I just haven't understand what the actual problem is:

This is one of the entites that ends up as a box with "shader not found":

entityDef atdm:moveable_lantern_oil_hand
{
   "inherit"               "atdm:moveable_small_base"
   "editor_displayFolder"  "Lights/Moveables"
   "editor_usage"          "An unlit oil lantern that can be carried around and extinguished/relit by the player."

"model"                 "models/darkmod/lights/non-extinguishable/lantern_oil_hand.ase"
   "mass"                  "5"
   "snd_bounce"            "material_metal_impact"
   "bouncyness"            "0"

"def_attach"            "light_lantern_oil_omni_unlit"

"skin"                  "lights/lantern_oil_hand_unlit"
   "skin_lit"              "lights/lantern_oil_hand_lit"
   "skin_unlit"            "lights/lantern_oil_hand_unlit"

"equippable"            "1"
   "equip_action_script"   "frob_light_holder_toggle_light"
}

So where is the problem with that entity? :mellow:

Understand that you don't have time for DR now.