The Dark Mod Forums

Question about building traps

AlarusLOL

It's shooting fire-arrows by default. I guess they are just flying by too fast to be recognised.

The projectile is determined by the property "def_projectile", and there is a property "velocity" and "ammo" etc.

edit: set def_projectile to "atdm:projectile_broadhead" to let it shoot plain arrows.

Ok...so now I'm having trouble getting the func_shooter entity to trigger. What I want it to do is to fire while the player is touching the trigger, and to stop when the player is not. My guess would be I would need to use a "trigger_touch" entity and write a script for it. If this is so, I wouldn't know what commands to put into it. If there's a way to do it all in the editor alone, I'd prefer that. And there's also the issue of how to build a pressure plate...

(I hope I'm not bugging you (greebo) or anyone else with stupid questions. I didn't want this to turn into you guys doing 90% of the work for me, but it's kinda turning out that way. I guess I'm pretty lost without a tutorial)

First, use a "trigger_multiple" entity. This will keep triggering the target as long as the player is in there.

Second, add these spawnargs to your shooter:

"required_trigger" "1"

"required_trigger_timeout" "2000"

This will tell the shooter to fire only when triggered. The "timeout" is the timespan in milliseconds which needs to pass before the shooter is dying off. When the player is stepping out of the trigger_multiple, it will take 2 seconds before the shooter will stop.

Note that you probably don't need the "start_off" spawnarg when you're using "required_trigger".

LOL I'm always so close, yet so far. I already tried what you suggested, but if the "start_off" property is set, it keeps it from working properly.

There's just one piece missing. How can I build a pressure plate that slowly lowers when the player stands on it, and slowly raises when he steps off?

edit: I can manage to build the brushes and everything...It's the rest I don't know.

Edited by AlarusLOL

Ok...so now I'm having trouble getting the func_shooter entity to trigger. What I want it to do is to fire while the player is touching the trigger, and to stop when the player is not. My guess would be I would need to use a "trigger_touch" entity and write a script for it. If this is so, I wouldn't know what commands to put into it. If there's a way to do it all in the editor alone, I'd prefer that. And there's also the issue of how to build a pressure plate...

(I hope I'm not bugging you (greebo) or anyone else with stupid questions. I didn't want this to turn into you guys doing 90% of the work for me, but it's kinda turning out that way. I guess I'm pretty lost without a tutorial)

Don't worry, we are here to answer your questions - it is just that we haven't done your specific example before so it takes a bit of thought :)

As for the pressure plate, you need to build a mover (basically, a lift), that moves very very slowly, and is triggered when the player steps inside and triggered back to the top when the player steps outside.

Looking at the elevator examples on the wiki would be a start (if there is one, sorry, forgot :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Don't worry, we are here to answer your questions - it is just that we haven't done your specific example before so it takes a bit of thought :)

It's no big deal, I was just in a bad mood that day. I was rather frustrated about not being able to build things which I thought were relatively simple.

I've currently tried a mover_door_sliding being triggered with a trigger_multiple...and while it technically works, I can't quite get it to behave like I want it to. I might try a few more things, including writing a script. If anyone has any more suggestions I'm open to them (and thanks for your help so far guys).