The Dark Mod Forums

A few thoughts on TDM

pkotz

Hi all.

After playing through the training and chalice mission, I must say I'm impressed. Great job, guys!

I have a few possibly valid points about it though:

- I'm running a Steam version of Doom and it seems that tdm_launcher does not start TDM instead starting Doom. I have to select TDM from MOD menu then. Even running "DOOM3.exe +set fs_game_base darkmod" does not start it. Also any mission I install appears in MOD menu as a directory name because mission installing unpacks them into game folder (no idea if it's supposed to be that way, but still is slightly annoying).

- Some npcs on chalice mission have very important keys which are easy to overlook when the npc is lying down. It would be better if frobbing dead/knocked out npcs would loot them first like it does in original Thief games.

- When I press Lean and then release it, I can't lean again while the player returns to default position. I can't peek out from the corners fast like I'm used to.

- Just an idea - mark finished missions in the FM list. I think the number of FMs will continue to grow and having a few dozens of them in the list will be confusing after some moment. Actually it would be great to save player statistics for each FM level - has player finished it on Easy/Medium/Hard/etc, what max score has he gained etc.

Search around for Steam here and at ttlg and on the wiki because this has been covered.

I agree that keys are hard to see but corpse auto-frob has been discussed and rejected. Instead, frob, then 'use' key to shoulder then drop again. Each time you do that the body is turned the opposite way up so you can search for attachments.

Search around for Steam here and at ttlg and on the wiki because this has been covered.

I just added the relevant Steam info into our FAQ, sorry, we missed to add it before:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=FAQ#Does_it_run_with_the_Steam_version_of_Doom_3.3F

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I agree that keys are hard to see but corpse auto-frob has been discussed and rejected. Instead, frob, then 'use' key to shoulder then drop again. Each time you do that the body is turned the opposite way up so you can search for attachments.

Oh, I see. I can understand why it's made like that but still it would be nice to have a setting in configuration "Auto-frob bodies" like you do for lockpicking and parrrying hardcore options. And also how is a newbie supposed to know that part? There's nothing about it in the training mission.

I just added the relevant Steam info into our FAQ, sorry, we missed to add it before:

http://modetwo.net/d...on_of_Doom_3.3F

Thanks, it helped.

And also a bug report - in the keybindings configuration menu between every two key menu items there is a pixel that is common for both of them. So clicking on that activates both showing "Press key..." twice.

Thanks, it helped.

And also a bug report - in the keybindings configuration menu between every two key menu items there is a pixel that is common for both of them. So clicking on that activates both showing "Press key..." twice.

Ah. that's a nice find. I think our GUI files need to be adjusted. Can somebody please put this on the tracker?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax