The Dark Mod Forums

Models and textures...

CorwinWeber

So I started modeling, (ac3d is actually very good, if Blender aggravates you as much as it does me, check it out. Two week free trial.) and I've come across an issue..... when I create a model, all is good. I browse to my extracted textures and apply them to the object. Object is textured in the program, but when I insert the model into my map it comes up with the blue and black 'shader not found' texture. Oddly enough.... it DOES work right in the game. (Um, usually. I'm tinkering with one right now where this is not the case, but overall, Doom displays them fine.)

I figure there's something I just haven't told DarkRadiant about where to find the textures used in the model.... I'm just not sure what and where to tell it....

Models and textures and brushes and entities and worldspawn and patches and meshes and bumpmaps and visportals and ragdolls and prefabs and func_statics and shaders...

I can't imagine where the confusion lies.

Edited by aidakeeley

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

What format are you using? ASE? Post an attachment.

Yes, it's an ASE. I have yet to get LWO working right overall.... besides, I've gotten the impression that ASE just works better with idtech overall.

Here's one, ASE renamed to txt. Again, Doom sees it fine and actually DR can see the textures, it lists them in the model browser when I select the model. It just doesn't display them in the editor.

pipecap2a1.txt

In the ASE files I've compared yours with I have ...

*MATERIAL_SHINESTRENGTH 0.0000

... where you have nothing.

In your file I see ...

*MATERIAL_TWOSIDED

... and ...

*MATERIAL_SOFTEN

... where I have neither.

Also worth noting is that for the materials with a diffuse stage (about 5 of 20) there is no indentation. Those without a diffuse stage probably aren't used and could be deleted.

For testing purposes I changed the bitmap line in your files to

*BITMAP "\\purgatory\purgatory\doom\base\textures\darkmod\stone\natural\dark_dirty"

And I see this in the editor

post-1779-127675751207_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking you need to change the bitmap line to point to a material shader. I'm not sure any other changes are necessary.

In the ASE files I've compared yours with I have ...

*MATERIAL_SHINESTRENGTH 0.0000

... where you have nothing.

In your file I see ...

*MATERIAL_TWOSIDED

... and ...

*MATERIAL_SOFTEN

... where I have neither.

Also worth noting is that for the materials with a diffuse stage (about 5 of 20) there is no indentation. Those without a diffuse stage probably aren't used and could be deleted.

For testing purposes I changed the bitmap line in your files to

*BITMAP "\\purgatory\purgatory\doom\base\textures\darkmod\stone\natural\dark_dirty"

And I see this in the editor

post-1779-127675751207_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking you need to change the bitmap line to point to a material shader. I'm not sure any other changes are necessary.

Ok, trying..... for reference, what is purgatory? Your system? Part of the directory structure?

WOOT! Fixed it, thanks. I changed my path to just \\doom3\etc..... and now it finds it.

Hmm.... lemme try that with forward slashes to see if that still works....

** edit **

K. Oddly enough, it doesn't seem to care whether you use forward or backslashes.

Thanks! (Figured there was something I wasn't doing.)

Edited by CorwinWeber

It's important to note that the engine isn't looking for a TGA file when it looks at the bitmap line although your modeling application might. Instead it's looking for a material shader reference.

Purgatory is just a prefix that I preface all my shader references with that tends to work for me. There several options that work such as...

*BITMAP "//base/models/mapobjects/myModel/myShader"

*BITMAP "//doom3/base/models/mapobjects/myModel/myShader"

*BITMAP "//purgatory/purgatory/doom/base/models/mapobjects/myModel/myShader"

The thing to take note of is that in each case the part in bold is the same. It is that part which is a material shader reference.

In your case I assume that you have a material shader named "textures/outside/outfactory_new5" so you should change the bitmap line to read...

*BITMAP "//purgatory/purgatory/doom3/base/textures/outside/outfactory_new5"

Edited by rich_is_bored

It's important to note that the engine isn't looking for a TGA file when it looks at the bitmap line although your modeling application might. Instead it's looking for a material shader reference.

Purgatory is just a prefix that I preface all my shader references with that tends to work for me. There several options that work such as...

*BITMAP "//base/models/mapobjects/myModel/ myShader"

*BITMAP "//doom3/base/models/mapobjects/myModel/ myShader"

*BITMAP "//purgatory/purgatory/doom/base/ models/mapobjects/myModel/myShader"

The thing to take note of is that in each case the part in bold is the same. It is that part which is a material shader reference.

In your case I assume that you have a material shader named "textures/outside/outfactory_new5" so you should change the bitmap line to read...

*BITMAP "//purgatory/purgatory/doom3/base/ textures/outside/outfactory_new5"

The good news is that most of my custom models now look normal in the editor. The bad news is I still have one that shows up white and untextured in game.... although I made your changes and now it looks normal in the editor..... //doom3/base/textures/base_floor/ghotile3.tga is one of the textures and //doom3/base/textures/base_wall/steel.tga. Tried removing the .tga and that didn't change anything. I can try remaking that model.... it's two textured cylinders.... should only take a few minutes....