The Dark Mod Forums

latest sources TDM

ndk

i dont understand why current sources do not shared for public. how about organize project at sourceforge.net or similiar?

for example someone want create new feature for TDM and use sources 1.02. in this case he must merge with trunk.

P.S. i hope that question is understandable, because i write in english with errors. :)

Edited by ndk

Well, we've got SVN going and regular (?) updates. Currently everyone has 1.02 and only the team 1.03. That's because alot of the stuff being added to 1.03 isn't done, wip...

If we were constantly updating everything it would be alot easier for mistakes, bugs, etc... to slip out. By doing releases we get more time to work on stuff/tweak it/test and make sure it's correct, then release it as one package.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Well, we've got SVN going and regular (?) updates. Currently everyone has 1.02 and only the team 1.03. That's because alot of the stuff being added to 1.03 isn't done, wip...

If we were constantly updating everything it would be alot easier for mistakes, bugs, etc... to slip out. By doing releases we get more time to work on stuff/tweak it/test and make sure it's correct, then release it as one package.

unit testing save neurons :)

unit testing save neurons :)

Yeah, I wish we had an automated testsuite. However, most of the stuff we want to test needs to run at runtime e.g. inside the D3 engine. And so far nobody has had the time/patience to make a run-time-testmap that rigourously tests all the feature we have...

If you want to hack at the source, v1.02 is a good start, it is not that different from v1.03. Show us your work, and we probably willintegrate it in v1.03 - if it is good and fits the theme, of course.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Yeah that's what I was going to say. The stuff that would be a contribution you could start working on with 1.02's code and it could be integrated easily enough.

Now one question I had was what about branch-hacks. What if you made something that you don't *want* to be integrated into the main mod, but still might be fun to play around with for a while, and hopefully also easy to turn off to go back to vanilla TDM?

I was thinking about making some Mirror's Edge moves, like wall-running, sliding, & quick-turning, but I agree with the discussion we had on it that they aren't appropriate for the main mod ... or all sorts of things, a scifi branch, a ninja branch, etc. So assuming (for just discussion's sake right now) I got some new moves in the code, how might one package that for public consumption on the side; not meant to improve anything, but as a branch-version?

You want to be sure it's easily reversible, but also still compatible with future versions. Would it be something you just manually backup some files then drop new files into the darkmod folder, or maybe by an installer, or is it possible as a patch that re-writes some stuff while keeping future updates; it only changes the few things needed for the new thing? (Is that even possible?) I'm just curious the mechanics. I'm not even sure I'd do anything, since normally when I look at the source I'm more interested at finding things actually useful for the mod (since there's so much still to do), but sometimes I see something and get crazy ideas just for fun, so I was just wondering.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.