The Dark Mod Forums

ATI's newest AI causes stuttering

jdude

This is age old bug I've recently discovered has evolved. Normally I have Catalyst AI turned off when using Doom3 because on my HD3870 card it causes post processing to act strange which is well documented. However after a long over due update of my drivers to 11.5 about a month ago I noticed Doom3 was stuttering a lot, even on maps with nothing in them. Because I wasn't playing I paid no attention to it, but recently I got fed up with it. I disabled Catalyst AI and the game runs at a higher fps with no stutters anymore for me. Just another to disable Catalyst AI for ATI users. If anyone else has had issues with stuttering and have an ATI card I'd suggest trying to turn Catalyst AI off.

And to add to this, if you you have a Radeon HD5000 series card on all the previous 11.x driver version you weren't able to disable Cat Ai in ither the CCC or the utility ' Radeon pro '. Can someone with a HD5000 card test the 11.5 drvier and check if Cat Ai cant be disabled, otherwise I will have to contact AMD UK directly on this matter..

Although at this stage its not looking good, if this google search is an indication, so I'm off to call AMD now and log a complaint!

Ok I have started the ball rolling with AMD UK, just waiting for a call back - will update as I go.

I currently have a 4770 and have purposely avoided not going higher because of all the posts I've read about people not being able to turn it off on the newer cards. It would be nice for them to fix that.

I'm running a 5850 with driver version 10.10 and I can still turn it off. It seems to be a "feature" (and I use the term lightly) for the 11.x driver revisions.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

I imagine it would be for all cards, I'd think it was easier than trying to code card generation specific Cat. AI settings.

I imagine it would be for all cards, I'd think it was easier than trying to code card generation specific Cat. AI settings.

Thats not the case..

The HD5870 same driver under XP, you could disable Ai. AMD have deliberatly removed the feature under windows 7 and HD 5000 or above cards which not acceptable.

@DeadLite, what OS are you running?

Hrm in that case, I think I'll stick with 10.10, I quite enjoy the bloom in TDM.

Downloaded it, I'll install it tonight once I'm done with testing for PranQster.