The Dark Mod Forums

nVidia control panel wont start

Bikerdude

After putting up with this issue for a while now and doing the sheep thing of reinstalling the driver, I finally had enough and made an effort to figure out wtf was causing it and submitted a report to nvidia -

Hello

May I ask why the nVidia control panel needs the helper service enabled to run? There are 3 serivces left running after I have close the NvCp, namely -

nvvsvc.exe

nvvsvc.exe

nvxdsync.exe

Why is there 2 instance of the helper service? The helper service has never been required for Ncp to work in the past. And lastly may I ask why the user experience service is required..?

Up untill this morning I had the nVidia driver service set to disabled, but have had to change that to manual, so that so at the very least it dosent load on startup but allows the NvCp to work.

Thanks

I will post back with their response etc.

well got a response, was insutling at best

Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care.

This is Kazim, assisting you in troubleshooting the issue . First, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

From the problem description, I understand that there are some programs that are running even after closing the NVIDIA control panel.

Even if you close the NVIDIA control panel, the drivers are being used to display images on the screen. We do not recommend disabling the service manually. However I see that the nvvsvc.exe is running twice, you may disable one of them.

These services do not harm the performance so we recommend you to leave them as it is.

And my reply

Thank you for getting back to me, fyi I am a computer engineer and your answer is very non-technical and seems to be aimed at the generic end user.

# said "services" are not used to display images on the screen, they are soly for the control panel and the help service. My question is why are they even running when previous contemporary nVidia control panels versions didnt require these files!

# yes nvvsvc.exe is running twice, thats why I asked...??!! there is only one nvidia service in the services manager and it spawns 2 other services - Why?

# I didnt ask if they would harm performance, but they are left running after I have closed the nVidia control panel, for which is thier only requirement. They should shutdown after a period of time, not sit resident using up ram.

If you can help me with technical aspect of my question great, if not can you pass the call on to someone that can.