The Dark Mod Forums

Looking to upgrade my wifi-router: 802ac suggestions

Bikerdude

Evening

I currently have a 'Cisco WRVS4400N router' that I got given, and Im starting to get dropouts on my mobile devices due to I imagine ever increasing EM interference from neighbours - despite changing to an unused channel(from 3 to 9 and getting a boost in signal from -60db to -50db) and tweaking encryption settings (from AES+TKIP mixed to AES only)

I have started researching replacement routers but as usual its a bloody mine field out there. For my budget of 'around' £50 I want

• dual band 802.11ac,
  • gigabit ethernet ports
  • UI/settings comparable to my current router.
  • don't need a built in modem, but dont mind if within budget
  • don't need usb port/s, but dont mind if within budget
  • would prefer to have a known branded router, from netgear etc

So am interested to see what others have got and/or would recommend,

b.

I wasn't convinced they existed at the price point, but I guess I was wrong.

TP-LINK Archer C2 AC750

TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750

Asus RT-AC66U AC1750

Check those and see if they meet your requirements. I have not used an 802.11ac router. I just found cheap(ish) dual-band routers that were mentioned around.

[...] despite changing to an unused channel(from 3 to 9 and getting a boost in signal from -60db to -50db) and tweaking encryption settings (from AES+TKIP mixed to AES only) [...]

Rule #1 of 2.4Ghz Wifi: Never choose a channel other than 1, 6 or 11 since these are the only non-overlapping channels. If you choose channel 3 for example you will share channels 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 with other Wifi users. If you choose channel 1 you will only share 1, 2 and 3 with other users.

http://superuser.com/questions/443178/is-it-better-to-use-a-crowded-2-4ghz-wi-fi-channel-1-6-11-or-unused-3-4-8

I recommend to use channel 1 or 6 since microwaves operate between channels 9 and 10 which are also used by channel 11.

I'd check the stability of your Wifi with a non-overlapping channel first before buying a new router.

Edited by Hiradur

The issue is channels 1,6,11 are being swamped by several neighbours, and ironically when the router is set to auto it chooses 5+9 or 11+15 and when I choose channel 11 it still uses 11+7.

And despite being a Cisco or business router. Its only capable of 2.4ghz 300n and despite having 3 antennas I am only every see a fraction of that in the bedroom which is only a few meters away along with the wifi dropping out far to regularly.

Only one of my neighbours is using 5ghz, so as both the laptop and the phone are 5Ghz capable the speed boost and increased range will be welcome. I can then relegate the Cisco to being a Gigabit ethernet network switch in the bedroom.

The issue is channels 1,6,11 are being swamped by several neighbours, and ironically when the router is set to auto it chooses 5+9 or 11+15 and when I choose channel 11 it still uses 11+7

I live in a crowded area as well, my fritzbox shows at least 10 wifi networks per channel for channels 1,6 and 11. I measured my throughput a few years ago and using one of the overlapping channels heavily decreased it. I've since switched to a non-overlapping channel and never had a reason to complain.