The Dark Mod Forums

Gameplay

Dyspeptic Spirit

This may seem like a trivial question but I was wondering if the mod will allow the "leaning forward blackjacking" that is a feature of both T1 and T2.

On balance I think I woud prefer it not to be included as it makes gameplay more of a challenge. It would also have the benefit of removing one of the more rediculous elements of Thief gameplay ie. standing in a dark corner making as much noise as possible and blackjacking everything that wanders blindly into the vicinity.

Has this been considered and what do others think?

:ph34r:

Also, (just thought of this) will the guards have better vision. At the moment they are all seriously myopic. ;)

Edited by Dyspeptic Spirit

• 2 weeks later...
In fact, the AI should have a  map of the level with the player maked as a flashing red dot.

I'm thinking we should just put a pair of headlights on the player's head, personally:

3.jpg

Edited by Ombrenuit

This may seem like a trivial question but I was wondering if the mod will allow the "leaning forward blackjacking" that is a feature of both T1 and T2.

On balance I think I woud prefer it not to be included as it makes gameplay more of a challenge. It would also have the benefit of removing one of the more rediculous elements of Thief gameplay ie. standing in a dark corner making as much noise as possible and blackjacking everything that wanders blindly into the vicinity.

Has this been considered and what do others think?

:ph34r:

Also, (just thought of this) will the guards have better vision. At the moment they are all seriously myopic.  ;)

The lean forward and blackjack was not cheating - the guards not seeing properly was the real problem.

But also we will have a screen test that lets you set your gamma properly. You may have your monitor too bright without realising and you could be seeing things way too dark or way too bright compared to what the guards are seeing.

Yeah. I was going to make a serious statement, then a second later I realised, "crap," so I posted it anyway. In fact, my monitor's quite dim, so I'd spite myself by doing that. When I fired up TMA for the first time, I could see the sky, something of the house and I could hear the voice of Basso but didn't know what the Sam Hill was going on...

--

Somethin' fishy's goin' on here... Come on out, you taffer!

~The Fishy Taffer

Ah well you should have read the manual. It says when you start the mission, to keep adjusting your brightness till you can just see the tree against the wall in front of you.

Rather than that dodgey effort, we will have an actual gamma setup screen (some games have this) where it tells you to adjust your brightness till you can see something.