The Dark Mod Forums

Sparhawk's Props

sparhawk

The only thing that looks a little out of place is that smooth donut-shaped thing in the center--I can't tell what it's supposed to be.

I think I know now what the problem is. In Blender I set the vertices to solid, to make a sharp edge, and there it looks right. Only in Doom 3 it looks this strange. I noticed a similar problem on the cogwheels. Now I found out why this is the case. I just saw a post on Doom3World which says that the exporter has a bug and always sets all vertices to smooth. So I have to wait until the exporter is fixed and then it should look right again when I re-export it.

Gerhard

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you want to 'break' the smooth effect from one part of obj, have a sharp crease, then have another smooth group on the inside thing?

You need to detach the polys of the inside piece (like you were going to use another texture) from the outside piece so the verts aren't welded, then the smooth wont smooth across those verts.

I hope that's what you need.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

No, I already did the smoothing properly in Blender. When I render it in Blender everything works fine, but the issue is a bug in that exporter script, that sets everything as smoothed. It should only set the smoothgroups which are defined as such, but it doesn't. I check when this fixed and see if it changes anything.

Gerhard

What Baddcog said is a way for going around that problem. Smoothing can be done obviously only for continuous mesh. If you detach one element and leave the vertices where they are, the result will be sharp edge.

It might seem to be not very elegant, but since diffrent game engines handle smoothing issue in diffrent ways sometimes it's the only way to go. For instance .lwo format can store only one smoothing group which might be not enough for some models.

I agree Sparhawk. I'd rather have my verts all welded too.

It seems slightly odd to me that such a new engine has limits on how textures can be applied. Also smoothing. But I had to do that with the treasure chest so it had some sharp edges.

Alot of weird splits cause I wanted the top to be smooth and round, but not the

But theoretically I guess it shouldn't matter, if those verts remain in their original locations there won't be any split or view between them

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I don't think that it is the problem of the engine. Blender can create objects that have multiple and different smoothgroups, and Doom also can handle them. It's just that the exporter had a bug with this, so Doom sees wrong smoothgroups. I don't know about Lightwave, as I never used it, I only use Blender, and with this I never had problems until this bug was introduced. But this affects only the exporter, so it's no big deal.

Gerhard

Are you talking about the ASE exporter or the LWO exporter? If you are using ASE models, then I believe that Doom 3 ignores the smoothing information anyway and smooths everything, which is not a problem with the exporter itself.