The Dark Mod Forums

Gonna Learn Lightwave

Dram

Almost ironically, I wanted to learn lightwave this semester so I could do modelling for my maps better and all, and funnily enough we're going to be learning lightwave at uni in about 4 or so weeks lol.

Yeah, just wanted to share that with the team :wacko:

Hardly, most lecturers at uni dont know their ass from their elbow when it comes to specific apps.

The guy probably has to teach 100 different things, and he's no expert in any of them. If you're lucky, he will be at least average in all the disiplines, but no more. They can't afford to get experts in for every aspect of CG.

You'd learn better and faster with the online sites and tutorials.

I'm assumig you're doing some sort of vague multimedia course, and not a speciifc CG course.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

oDDity is more or less correct there, in my experience.

Best teacher I ever had was the one that got me into my current job. He's a game programmer, that's what he does for a living.

Some other teachers I've had, particularly the 2 modelling ones, seem to have tried to pick up what they are trying to teach, in less time than the course itself...

Those classes are instead just a good opportunity to use the uni facilities and devote time to modelling.

Well actually the guy we're going to have is a guy who does 3d animation and modelling only. I was quite surprised. Well whatever, it just means that I can learn the program and have an actual requirement to use it, which mean I'll have to know how to use it etc.

@Odd: I was planning on going through tutes on the net too of course.

@Spar: I want to learn most things like animation, modelling, mapping etc so that it'll be easier for me to get into game design in the future, which is what I oh so wish to do. The more you know the better I guess. :)

i've also started with lightwave a couple of weeks ago (mostly because of the doom engine). I must say i like some things in comparison with maya. Using subpatch is a great way creating high polygon models with just a few polies. You can do the same thing in maya with subdivision but it's just not the same.

At my art school there was one teacher coming from the game industry who was very talented in character modeling (especially humans). He gave me some fine tips on modeling and uvmapping which i think no other online tutorial could have done any better.

So yeah it depends on who's giving the course and what you get and/or want to focus on. The durations of these courses are usually to short to really dig inside the package so they usually give you a general course.

Fortunally the last guy i had gave me total freedom so i could do more in game art and i got some (Gnomon i believe) game modeling, uv mapping video tutorials from him which are very handy at times.

Most people want to do modeling when they start with a 3d package, that's also what they mostly teach when they start these courses. If you want more, you'll have to figure it out yourself, like most of us have.

i hope that you get what you want Dram ;)