The Dark Mod Forums

Sourceforge Crapness

Am I the only one who has continual problems with committing changes to SourceForge SVN? It seems that any time I try anything more complex than a simple text change (e.g. adding or deleting files, or (god forbid) renaming something) I get a slew of stupid errors like "Bad Gateway" or "Forbidden" from the server, whether using the SVN client or Eclipse.

Needless to say, I am getting very sick of it. If it isn't some problem with my own settings, and therefore an issue with SourceForge, I might almost be tempted to consider migrating the repository to Google Code instead. Does anybody have any experience with using GC for development? It was launched quite recently but in general Google products are very high quality and easy to use.

Nope, I'm using TortoiseSVN all the time (since I abandoned my Linux; I haven't had time or nerves to reinstall), and I never had a problem.

Never used Google Code, so I don't know anything about this.

There is an SVN client in Eclipse?

There is an SVN client in Eclipse?

Yes, it's called Subclipse. It provides integration with the navigation window, so you can see which files and directories have been modified and what version they are add, and provides a Synchronisation perspective that allows you to compare your working directory with the current repository state so you can see what needs commiting and what needs updating.

Hm. I might give that a try sometime, although I don't think I'll need this feature very often.

Regarding your problem: could this be related to your network setup ("Bad Gateway" sounds a bit like this), or does everything else work ok?

I think "Bad Gateway" might be a problem with the Subclipse SVN library. "Forbidden" may be something to do with the Sourceforge repository path, I am currently changing to "https://darkradiant.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/darkradiant" to see if this improves matters.

Just wanted to rename interface.xml into input.xml and sourceforge threw this "Forbidden" error, so you're not alone with that problem, it seems.

I also noticed that the renamed file appears under "deleted" in the commit list and the newly named file under "added". Maybe this is the wrong way of handling it? The 403 error message is thrown immediately after Tortoise wants to add the newly named file (the old one is still there at this point), so maybe this is a conflicted situation.

I deleted the old file and added the new one by hand, without the renaming stuff.

You should be able to rename in SVN - although it appears as two separate operations, it does actually copy the history as well which wouldn't happen if you delete and add separately.

Have you used the new repository URL? I haven't had any problems since I updated to https://darkradiant.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/darkradiant

• 7 months later...

No, what appears to have happened is that all postings to the list were moderated, and required approval from the list moderator. Unfortunately the list moderator was orbweaver@users.sourceforge.net, which was an account I have never logged into and did not know existed.

Apparently they now decided to start sending the emails on to my own registered email address (duh!) so I have been able to approve the list postings and add both you and me to the "can always post" list.