The Dark Mod Forums

Thelvyn's Thread

New Horizon

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of curiosity has anyone tried Classic Doom3 ? Seems pretty well done but then again I have not tried any other (completed) doom3 mods to compare it too.

I tried it and I liked it. Quite reminiscent of the original Doom. :) But I think the numbers of leves are quite limited and it was way to easy IMO. Must look if there is an update though.

Gerhard

There was a final update to 1.1 or something like that. I played on the highest difficulty level and I died a few times anyway :) Unfortunate they only did the first episode. That was the one that came with the shareware version I believe. I still have it on CD somewhere with all of the episodes if I dont mind installing win98 on a machine to play it again.

I have automated the insertion of the dll into the pakfile if anyone is interested I can send you the program and build steps I use. The program is free and I have the source if desired as well. You would have to adjust your paths from mine though. Could be made relative also I would imagine but I didnt bother works for me as is.

I haven't lost my mind. It's backed up on disk!

Oops bad sectors damn floppy's!

I purchased Ultimate Doom a year (or so) ago, which includes all the Doom version and also a version which features maps made by fans it seems. At least I have been following the Doom series quite closely back then, and I never encountered this version. :) It was quite fun to play it again.

What I was also quite surprise about was the art direction of Doom 3. If you look at the graphics from Doom 1 and Doom 3 they obviously are not seemingly THAT connected, because of the improvements. But there was a site, where they managed to run Doom 3 on an old Voodoo card and the images were accordingly scaled down. The surprising effect was that the scaled back version looked perfectly like an old Doom, which means that the art division apparently made a really great job to follow the design. I would have expected that this scaled down version looks obviously like crap but not that it looks almost like an oldschool Doom. :)

This is also a great proof of how scalable the D3 engine really is that it can even run on such an old gfx card. :)

Gerhard

I have finished the mouse handler for now at least - See relevant thread for info http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=5006

I would like to do the keyboard handler the same way but wait and see what everyone thinks of the mouse first. Then if no one objects I will do the same. I have already coded 90% or more of what would be needed to do that just in case.

We will have to do something eventually anyway if we want to be portable to anything other then windows.

Speaking of which what is the pipe code for ?

Bah I could not find one of the secrets on ep1m2. The one with the super health I believe it was.

Just tried again on hurt me plenty made it to m4 before I blew myself up with a barrel :P

And nightmare ? If you stand still at the beginning(Maybe anywhere) you lose health just by standing there.

Good luck beating nightmare is all I can say.

Back to topic :)

That pipe code is something to do with rendering it looks like, did not dig into it just what I saw casually as I was working on the other stuff. Is that portable is why I am asking. We are planning to support linux and mac also correct ?

As noted above please look at the keyboard!=mouse thread(Link in previous post) and comment if so inclined.

I have already implemented the new keyboard code as well. It is #ifdef for now(Default is old code)

It is all working now but needs some revision possibly. Especially the keyboard one.

New keyboard code is in.

There is a define at the top of mousehook.h which enables display of which mouse buttons are being depressed so if it annoys you just remove that define. Only displays when a mouse key is depressed.

The code that does it is in playerview.cpp in singleview if your interested.

There are three different fonts you can use at least that I have enabled.

I left commented code that shows below where I print the mouse messages.

The printmessage function is in gamelocal I think. At least I think thats where I put it.

I will be putting in code for CTRL SHIFT keys next then I believe I am done with mouse and keyboard stuff till we need to port to linux and mac.

Unless someone needs something done differently or more functionality of course.

Then I will get back to the pathing problem.

Guess thats about it for now :)

How can I fix it so tortoise no longer downloads d3game.vcproj ?

It overwrote my version forcing me to upgrade it to vs 2005 format and wiped out all my settings like my custom post build steps.

Damn it did it again and failed on the upgrade to 2005 format. I tried to fix it but now I have been forced to repair visual studio 2005 instead sigh. Lot of wasted time.

Something weird happened. Well I know a way to fix this from happening again but its the hard way.

I wrote a program to protect certain files from being overwritten before I can do so again.

This is why I always unselect the project files from being updated to cvs so I do not do this to others.

Well whatever that failure did I cannot compile ANYTHING.

keep getting an error from cl.exe. No clue. Tried searching on google and msdn with no luck so far.

Consensus is misconfiguration, suggestion ? Format and reinstall windows. WTF

Well I am trying removing everything I can possibly think of that is programming related and reinstalling rather then formatting and reinstalling windows. Hell I just installed windows again.

Wish I had a damn tape drive. Times like this it would be invaluable sigh

See programming thread. CVS always screws up updating that file, so I usually have to delete it and start from scratch. Our system is that, since some people have earlier versions and cannot read VCC2005 versions, they are the only ones who update that file on CVS, and the rest of us tell them what files need to be added to the project. I think the only person doing this right now is Sparhawk.

When I get my system back up in a couple of days I will fix it so this doesnt happen again.

I still have the source to the other program I wrote to do something almost the same floating around I believe so it shouldnt be too much work to modify it.

I put another drive in, formatted and reinstalled windows. Installing visual studio now.

I thought about something after I did most of this already.... I wonder if I could have just setup another user and had it working again ? Man wish I had thought of that sooner sigh. Probably would work.

I should be able to work again on the mod by tomorrow, still have to finish the install, install msdn, patch up windows and vs, reinstall tortoise.

I am back in business thankfully it wasn't quite as painful as I expected. I put another drive in to simplify things which still had a valid windows install for this machine so I was able to do it quickly.

Is there anything else that we have in that is windows specific ? Other then the keyboard/mouse handlers ? Well not mouse now probably.

There is a pipe code that is calculating the lightgem. The pipe itself is also windows specifc. Not the algorithm, but how pipes are used on various operating systems, so we have to port this over as well. But I think that should be pretty straightforward, as pipes exist on all other OSes as well.

Gerhard

I was wondering again about whether we could use a VFP program to do the lightgem image processing for us in the GFX card and only send back one integer result from the GFX card instead of a whole image. Does that sound possible at all? Can VFP's store things to registers that are preserved beyond just the one vertex calculation, and can those registers be transferred back or gotten from the GFX card?

I am curious. Could you explain what you are doing with this pipe ? I know how to use pipes but it is unclear to me what this one does exactly ?

Sparhawk can explain it the best, but briefly, to calculate the lightgem value, we temporarily replace the player with a white octahedron, take a render shot from top and bottom, and then pull that image off of the graphics card for analyzing how lit the octahedron is. I believe the pipe is needed because the SDK code only allows us to render a shot to a file, and we didn't want to be continuously writing/reading the disk, so the pipe was put in instead of an actual disk file.

This is why the lightgem lowers FPS by about 5, and the rendering of that shot also causes some graphical gitches (like particles flickering), but this is the best we can come up with so far.