The Dark Mod Forums

T Pose?

Domarius

ascottk, I think you mentioned that you had an easier time rigging if the model was in the T pose. I created this thread to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of doing so.

I hate to bring this up. Most our AI are in a T-Pose. Rigging is a little more difficult (I'm not sure if we can retain compatibility between skeletons) when they are not in that pose. I'll experiment with the builder priest, since he's not in a T-Pose either, to see if rigging can be done & maintain compatibility when they're not in a T-Pose. It'll be a while to see the results of that because he requires a lot of work <_<

I know that the T pose makes it easier to give weighting to the areas under the arms, but when I made my models, I found that it made it very hard to have good control over the shape of the shoulders. You're essentially relying on the deforming of the mesh after you've rigged it, to create the shoulder shape, which is why everyone in T2 had huge ugly footballer shoulders. And considering this is the way they're going to be seen 99.9% percent of the time, I understood why some modellers preffer to have the arms more or less lowered, so the shoulder shape is modelled into shape, rather than deformed into shape. So that's the way I modelled mine (click thumbnail to make it bigger), and I was able to rig them okay. Though you mentioned compatability might be an issue.

It's okay for a lot of those armed guards oDDity made, they don't even have shoulders - they're covered up with armour, but I noticed when oDDity modelled the nude pagan woman, she's got her arms lowered like squawks as well.

post-10-1170776270_thumb.jpg

How did the Builder Priest go?

ascottk, I think you mentioned that you had an easier time rigging if the model was in the T pose. I created this thread to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of doing so.

I know that the T pose makes it easier to give weighting to the areas under the arms, but when I made my models, I found that it made it very hard to have good control over the shape of the shoulders. You're essentially relying on the deforming of the mesh after you've rigged it, to create the shoulder shape, which is why everyone in T2 had huge ugly footballer shoulders. And considering this is the way they're going to be seen 99.9% percent of the time, I understood why some modellers preffer to have the arms more or less lowered, so the shoulder shape is modelled into shape, rather than deformed into shape. So that's the way I modelled mine (click thumbnail to make it bigger), and I was able to rig them okay. Though you mentioned compatability might be an issue.

You have a point about the shoulders & I think you can adjust the joint rotations while rigging just as long as is starts in a T-Pose. I think the smooth skin takes that first pose as the main one.

It's okay for a lot of those armed guards oDDity made, they don't even have shoulders - they're covered up with armour, but I noticed when oDDity modelled the nude pagan woman, she's got her arms lowered like squawks as well.
I might need to do the same thing as the priest. See below.

How did the Builder Priest go?
I lowered the arm rotation to match the mesh in Maya. Then I rigged then exported the MB file to max with Deep Exploration where I deleted the skin modifier & viola! Instant T-Pose.