The Dark Mod Forums

func_static renaming makes it dissapear

I think I found a bug. :)

I created a patch, and a brush. The patch I copied and rotated and fit it to the other end of the brushcylinder. Then I converted these three objects to a func_static. Now when I go into the entity editor and click on name it has the default generated name func_static_1. When I changed that name the entity dissepears. I also saved it to disc and looked into the map, but it was nowhere to be found.

I think I found the reason. Apparently a func_static, that is converted in such a manner doesn't really have a model, so it associates the name with the model. Now when I changed both, the name and the model, then it was back again.

I don't know if this is possible, but I think in such cases it would be good if the editor would automatically replace both entries, instead of only the one.

Gerhard

That's a known issue (http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=263), and I even had a go at it once, but my solution didn't work out.

I'm afraid this can't be solved on a low level (the Doom3Group class itself), but I have another idea that would involve the Entity Inspector, which could catch "name" key changes of func_statics.

Yes, that't what I meant where it should be implemented. I'm just not sure if you can reliably detect such a specific "brush" entity from some other entity which has a real model assigned and the name is just the same as the model.

Gerhard

It is of course possible to detect them, because if it weren't possible we wouldn't have func_statics at all. If a mapper has a "real" model and assigns the same "name" == "model", it's his own fault.

The problem with my first solution attempt was that if I changed the model key accordingly at low-levels, some nasty Callbacks were triggered which had unwanted side-effects.

Tackling this on a high-level is not exactly cool, because this algorithm shouldn't be implemented there - but if I can't think of any other solution, this would be the way to go.

The problem is that both the "name" and "model" keys already have callbacks and start to interfere. I already tried to disable the callback temporarily to be able to change the "model" key without interference, but this broke the func_statics on map load (the spawnargs are set in no specific order and there were cases where the func_static wasn't recognised any more).

This whole design that func_static can be used for "real" models and for static world geometry is pretty cumbersome in the editor.

Can you put in a mutex, e.g.

bool _blockCallbacks;

in the class definition, and then

// Name callback
{
if (!_blockCallbacks && currentName == currentModel) {
	_blockCallbacks = true;
	setModelKey(newName);
	_blockCallbacks = false;
}
}

// Model callback