The Dark Mod Forums

Problems with Greebo's MayaImportx86.dll

Ivan_the_B

Hi guys :)

I know this is not an help board, but since this has to do with with Greebo's MayaImportx86.dll I hope you don't mind.

We are trying to use the dll for maya8.5 he released in this thread:

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21492

The problem is that we get the error "Maya not installed in Registry" even if we applied the .reg fix included.

Other info:

- Maya 8.5

- Vista 64 bit

- maya install path is correctly set in the environment variables

- the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Alias|Wavefront\Maya" was correctly added to the registry.

I wonder if someone here had the same problem.

I hope Greebo can give us some hints. Pls :blush:

I seem to recall running into the same problem with the 64 bit version of Maya. Are you using the 32 or 64 Maya variant?

Also, back when I compiled that DLL, I was using the Dark Mod source as base, which is using STL headers - I figured that might be a problem when using the DLL on systems without the msvcrt9.dll on them.

One thing you can try to check whether you installed the correct registry key is to use the "Process Monitor" helper app (for download at Microsoft). You can use that app to look which registry keys are queried by the DOOM3.exe process, which might give you additional insight.

At this point (so close before TDM 1.00 goes public) I won't have time to do any work on that DLL, but ask me again in a few months. :)

Thanks Greebo for the quick reply.

The guy having this problem managed to solve it somehow.

He uninstalled all the versions of Maya from his system and reinstalled only Maya 8.5 32bit.

Hope this could help someone else having this problem in the future.

Thanks again and congratulations for the upcoming release :D

Yes, that's what I did as well - installed the 32 bit version. I guess it's not allowed for 32-bit apps like DOOM3.exe to connect load Maya's 64 bit libraries.

It would be actually impossible, I believe. 32 bit process cannot load and use 64bit DLLs (or at least I see now way that could work without a LOT of trickery by the OS... for instance calling a 64bit function from a 32bit process is not exactly easy).

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 2 weeks later...

@Ivan_the_B: not sure if you're still here or not. I have started to look into an updated exporter plug-in and this time I've been compiling it using VS2005 SP1 and without the TDM source. It runs fine on my end, although I had to make sure that no Maya7 folders were mentioned in the system's PATH variable anymore (otherwise the DLL will try to load Maya7 libs and will complain about entry points not being found).

edit: a first test version can be found here: http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/MayaImportx86(Maya85).zip

@Ivan_the_B: not sure if you're still here or not. I have started to look into an updated exporter plug-in and this time I've been compiling it using VS2005 SP1 and without the TDM source. It runs fine on my end, although I had to make sure that no Maya7 folders were mentioned in the system's PATH variable anymore (otherwise the DLL will try to load Maya7 libs and will complain about entry points not being found).

edit: a first test version can be found here: http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/MayaImportx86(Maya85).zip

Thanks, Greebo!

I'll post some feedbacks as soon as our animators try it.