The Dark Mod Forums

modelling non-darkmod stuff, lowpoly

Baddcog

Over at Polycount forums there's an on going thread for low poly models. Some pretty cool stuff, it's amazing how good some of the modelers are.

Anyway, I've been watching it for quite awhile and just wanted to do something different to kill some time. I always liked Bender so I gave him a go.

The point of that thread its to make the best possible model under 450 polys and as low res tex as possible. I made my tex 256x256 but tested with 128x128 and it looks just about as good so I'll probably end up using that.

It was fun, I think I might end up doing the cast of Futurama as just a random project.

bendersr4.jpg

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

That's fantastic! I can only imagine that it takes some skill and creative artistic genious just to be able to approach that sort of project with a plan to do it using so few resources! Kinda lika a caricature, those guys can draw six squiggly lines that I can RECOGNIZE as myself!

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I admit I deffinately chose an easy character to start with. His tex is really simple since he's all metal.

link to thread if nayone wants to check them out

http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?C...part=1&vc=1

Its actually under 500, I thought it was 450. Still though,fun trying to get down to 400 or less.

there's one guy, ThatDon, doing a seires of Team Fortess characters (I think that's Halflife 2)

engierenderss3.jpg

and probably my favorite in the thread by nkoste:

madm.jpg

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

• 2 weeks later...
You might like this then Domarius

http://www.nombz.com/demo/NOMBZ_Demo_Installer_v0.9.7.exe

Night of a Million Billion Zombies

It's a alpha/beta/prerelease demo thing. A little rough but kindof fun. Very low poly but cool artwork

I might like the finished version :) The first level ran fine, but the 2nd level was unplayable at 1 FPS, and I saw nothing on screen that justified it - it looked exactly the same as the first level. I can run Oblivion at about 15 FPS on this PC, so I guess the NOMBZ team have a bit of optimising to do.

Hopefully it gets better, because I like the idea of having lots and lots and lots of low poly things running around.