The Dark Mod Forums

Quick hacks for 16:10 ratio

Hyeron

A french player found the splash screen and spyglass overlay to be deformed in 16:10 ratio. It never seemed like an issue to me, but oh well.

So I came again, hacked again, uploaded again, if anyone wants it, here it is :

Splash before :

http://uppix.net/6/8...05a45cd5191.jpg

Splash after :

http://yfrog.com/5ylaunchj

Spyglass before :

http://uppix.net/7/5...afb5d0e67e3.jpg

Spyglass after :

http://yfrog.com/j7spyglassj

In the end he was right - at least about the spyglass. It definitely looks better when it's round. Anyway, if anyone feels this is an issue and is too lazy or doesn't know how to / dare change it :

http://www.4shared.com/file/161948593/fabd419f/tdm_x_1610_spyglass_launch.html

Just place it in your darkmod directory. That's it, just play. :)

Don't know if anyone will find this of interest, but well, I can't upload a hack without dropping a word about it here, can I ? :P

Once again it ain't perfect ('specially for the splash), but at least that spyglass is more or less round now. ^^

"Lie to a liar, for lies are his coin; Steal from a thief, for that is easy; lay a trap for a trickster and catch him at first attempt, but beware of an honest man"

- Arab proverb

That's cool. Never really bothered me to be honest. I may try this this weekend.

I think it would be cool to make a "add-on mod" e.g. a PK4 file that people who need to play on 16:10 (or even 16:9) can just download and put into the TDM directory and it works for them. Everyone else just does not install that file and is happy with 4:3.

For this to work the replacement files must be in the correct folder structure inside a PK4 file with a name that comes later in the alphabet than the original name. I'd suggest tdm_x_addon_version_author.pk4 as a potential naming scheme. (For instance tdm_x_widescreen_16.9.01_hyeron.pk4?)

(We had an internal discussion but I don't know offhand what we decided there what the naming scheme schould be, can somebody please look for it or does someone remember?)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Now that's very interesting...

So if I understand correctly the pk4s are loaded alphabetically and can just override each other based on their place in the loading "queue"?

That would definitely save me some time instead of endlessly repacking the same huge pk4s :D

"Lie to a liar, for lies are his coin; Steal from a thief, for that is easy; lay a trap for a trickster and catch him at first attempt, but beware of an honest man"

- Arab proverb

So if I understand correctly the pk4s are loaded alphabetically and can just override each other based on their place in the loading "queue"?

That would definitely save me some time instead of endlessly repacking the same huge pk4s :D

Yes, thats how it works, thats why our PK4s do f.i. overwrite some files from D3 - our PK4s are loaded first.

IIRC the first file found with the correct name inside any PK4 is taken - and the order of the PK4s is "reverse alphabetically", so "zzz.PK4" is first, and "abc.PK4" is last.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

It's also a good thing because you avoid the risk of a TDM update overwriting the standard TDM PK4s and thus wiping out your customisations. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I guessed that much, didn't mind repacking if I had to though.

I'll really have to repack all my things once I have a bit of time, it would be more convenient for everyone. :)

- Arab proverb

If you recreate the folder structure or any part of it, the files in normal folders will have priority over files in .pk4's too as long as they are in their correct location within that folder. For example, when im using a custom animation, ill put it in models\md5\chars\etc\etc. The folders in my developement installation are:

af

dds

edxs

env

fms

fonts

fx

glprogs

guis

lights

maps

materials

modles

particles

prefabs

savegames

screenshots

scripts

skins

sound

strings

textures

ui

video

xdata

I assume you can unload the whole mod this way. I've only used the sounds and models folders in this way, so im not sure about anything else, but this also will prevent the .pk4's from being auto-updated as well.

http://www.4shared.c...ass_launch.html

PK4 version, just place it in the darkmod directory.

Thanks again for the advice, works like a charm. :)

- Arab proverb