The Dark Mod Forums

Surveillance with linux

sparhawk

SInce here are some people with linux experience as well, I was wondering if somebdoy has some suggestion which hardware and software I can use for a surveillance camera. I would like to put a camera somewhere, but it should transmit the data wireless, so that I don't have to connect stationary via a cable.

Then I would like to install some software that can take a shot i.e. every second or so, ideally with a timestamp on the image as well. Well, this can be done via scripts probably as well, but at least I would need a camera that works with linux.

Gerhard

SInce here are some people with linux experience as well, I was wondering if somebdoy has some suggestion which hardware and software I can use for a surveillance camera. I would like to put a camera somewhere, but it should transmit the data wireless, so that I don't have to connect stationary via a cable.

Then I would like to install some software that can take a shot i.e. every second or so, ideally with a timestamp on the image as well. Well, this can be done via scripts probably as well, but at least I would need a camera that works with linux.

ZoneMinder will work with any camera that streams images over the network. There is even a LiveCD for Zoneminder (based on Mandriva) so setup on a dedicated machine should be easy, otherwise the packages are all available for Debian and Ubuntu.  

Thanks. I found Zoneminder and it looked lilke the kind of software I'm looking for. What I couldn't find out for the moment is, wether it only works with cameras that stream via networkcards. And if so, if there are some cameras, which can send their data over a radio connection. I don't want to put cables all over the place and also be able to move the camera easily around.

Gerhard

Thanks. I found Zoneminder and it looked lilke the kind of software I'm looking for. What I couldn't find out for the moment is, wether it only works with cameras that stream via networkcards. And if so, if there are some cameras, which can send their data over a radio connection. I don't want to put cables all over the place and also be able to move the camera easily around.

I guess it will work with any network connection, the physical layer (cable or wireless) shouldn't matter.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Yeah, I found out that ZM also supports USB cameras. I don't know if there is a kind of standardized protocol, so I have to look and see if I can use any USB camera or just some special brands.

I also have to see if my server has an USB connection. :P Not sure about that...

Gerhard

• 2 months later...