install linux

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ravalox

Ravalox

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:43 AM

So I'm trying to install this on linux and it seems to start strong but then immediately cease getting new data.  I've left it overnight and it still indicates the same files, I don't think it got any new content.  Is there some means of specifying mirrors or for that matter a means of going to a mirror directly to get what I need?

#2 freyk

freyk

• PipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:55 AM

Just kill and restart the updater, for a other mirror.

Edited by freyk, 20 February 2017 - 04:07 AM.

#3 NightStalker

NightStalker

Linux hero

• Development Role
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:34 AM

Welcome to the forums!

First, are you installing "from scratch" or updating an existing installation?

Next, to properly help you, we need to be sure which updater you're running. Is it 'tdm_update.linux'?

If so, some general advice first... Anytime there's an issue running 'tdm_update.{exe,linux}' it's incredibly useful to TDM folks to see your 'tdm_update.log' file. As a bare minimum, that will tell us which version of the updater you're running (0.66 being the latest, BTW).

Having said that, some additional suggestions... Try running 'tdm_update.linux --help' to see additional options. (But be aware that the '--dry-run' option is not actually supported, so don't try it!)

To answer your specific questions, yes, while you can technically specify mirrors by editing the 'tdm_mirrors.txt' file, the 'tdm_update' app can/will override it unless you specify '--keep-mirrors'. But there really should be no need to manually specify mirrors, so I'd advise avoiding that for now.

And, yes, you can go directly to a mirror to get what you need (e.g. 1 or more 'tdm_update_2.0*_to_2.0*.zip' files), but if you do that, you'll probably want to specify the '--keep-update-packages' option to prevent the updater from erasing those (often very large) files when it's done, in case it takes a few tries to get things working, for example.

Good luck! But if that advice doesn't help, please let us know and we'll go to the next step.

#4 freyk

freyk

• PipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:45 AM

And there is this wiki article, you can follow: Install TDM on a Linux Distribution

Edited by freyk, 20 February 2017 - 04:45 AM.

#5 Ravalox

Ravalox

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:33 AM

I've tried following the instructions in the above link, it just hangs ultimately.  The log reads:

TDM Update Logfile created: Mon Feb 20 23:40:15 2017

TDM Updater v0.66 © 2009-2017 by tels & greebo. Part of The Dark Mod (http://www.thedarkmod.com).

Spoiler

Edited by Bikerdude, 21 February 2017 - 11:53 AM.
put log in spoiler tags

#6 NightStalker

NightStalker

Linux hero

• Development Role
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:09 PM

Your log appears to have been cut off.  Did you include the whole log?

Are you running out of space on your drive?

Frankly, I don't see anything obviously wrong in the portion of the log that you included.

Look at this line in the log:
Updates are available.  66 files need to be downloaded (size: 2.86 GB).
Are you giving the 'tdm_update.linux' app adequate time to download all that?

Also, if you include any more lengthy log files, please upload them to the TDM forum, then attach them to your post, as opposed to including them "inline".

#7 Ravalox

Ravalox

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:09 PM

I left it for 8 hours and it downloaded 7 files; it was on "Downloading from Mirror waffles.za.net: tdm_ai_humanoid_guards01.pk4" and stuck at 69.4% for an hour after I came back to observe it.  It's not going anywhere, I took the log without cutting off the download.  It's still stalled at 69.4% at time of typing and that's another 8 hours after that.  I don't think this is going anywhere and I have plenty of drive space, df -k has over 300 gigs free.

Edited by Ravalox, 21 February 2017 - 05:19 PM.

#8 NightStalker

NightStalker

Linux hero

• Development Role
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:24 PM

That's odd. That mirror seems alive but if it's acting up, maybe it is time for you to disable it in 'tdm_mirrors.txt' and run the updater with the '--keep-mirrors' option.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: install, linux

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users