The Dark Mod Forums

Now we have Mandatory and Optionals objectives:

etdarkb

I never liked much the Objective system of `Thief' (hides), I find somewhat strange that a mission fails because I cannot find the 90% of the loot or because I had to kill someone (if it is not explained as important story-wise).

On the other hand I always found interesting the Tie Fighter way: you have the `Primary Objectives' that are necessary to win, the `Secondary Objectives' known and useful to having a better victory and finally the `Bonus Objectives' that are a surprise: the player while doing the mission must understand what can improve the victory even more.

An example of mission (with 1103 gold) objective sheet in this idea might be:

Primary:

- Find the gold bar;

- Once done return where you started.

Secondary:

- Do not kill anyone;

- Find at least 1000 gold in loot.

Bonus:

- Do not KO anyone;

- Find the Fabulous Scepter of Goldness.

Of course the difficulty level might still change AI attention, number of guards, ect...

What do you think?

All of this is already possible now, though the wording is always up to the mapper.

My FM had two optional objectives, "Save Harlan" and "No killing", which I indicated with "(Optional)" at the end. And actually on the first draft "Save Harlan" *was* a surprise bonus objective, but then I thought no one would actually save him unless I made it into a visible objective.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recent Status Updates

• nbohr1more

Was checking out old translation packs and decided to fire up TDM 1.07. Rightful Property with sub-20 FPS areas yay! ( same areas run at 180FPS with cranked eye candy on 2.12 )
      · 2 replies
    • taffernicus

i am so euphoric to see new FMs keep coming out and I am keen to try it out in my leisure time, then suddenly my PC is spouting a couple of S.M.A.R.T errors...
      tbf i cannot afford myself to miss my network emulator image file&progress, important ebooks, hyper-v checkpoint & hyper-v export and the precious thief & TDM gamesaves. Don't fall yourself into & lay your hands on crappy SSD

· 5 replies
    • OrbWeaver

Does anyone actually use the Normalise button in the Surface inspector? Even after looking at the code I'm not quite sure what it's for.
      · 7 replies
    • Ansome

Turns out my 15th anniversary mission idea has already been done once or twice before! I've been beaten to the punch once again, but I suppose that's to be expected when there's over 170 FMs out there, eh? I'm not complaining though, I love learning new tricks and taking inspiration from past FMs. Best of luck on your own fan missions!
      · 4 replies
    • The Black Arrow

I wanna play Doom 3, but fhDoom has much better features than dhewm3, yet fhDoom is old, outdated and probably not supported. Damn!
      Makes me think that TDM engine for Doom 3 itself would actually be perfect.
      · 6 replies