The Dark Mod Forums

Maya to md5

Lascha

Hello everyone,

I am a student and just started on a project in which we will use md5 models in a raytracer. Here's what I'm talking about:

fatty.th.png

The ray tracer (in c++) has no problems importing an md5 models (eg. the ones from doom3). The problem is converting maya (2009 and 2010) models to md5 models. Since you probably already dealt with issues concerning this, I think someone would be able to help.

I am using "MayaImportx86.dll" (2010 version) with "doom3.exe". First I would get the error about maya not in registry, which was fixed by setting the environment variables. Then I got an error about MayaImport dll not being able to load, which was fixed by a typo in the environment path variable. Trying to export models after fixing these errors leaves me with a complete new behaviour: doom3 waits ~1 sec and exits. No errors are printed in the console. Nothing got exported.

Here is what I have:

I have maya 2010 installed in:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\maya2010\

Environmental variables are set:

Path C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2010\bin;

MAYA_LOCATION C:\Program Files\Autodesk\maya2010;

Doom 3 and its .exe is in:

C:\Doom3\

This directory also contains:

MayaImportx86.dll (The one for Maya2010)

The .def file is in:

C:\Doom3\base\def

Here is my .def file, named "character.def":

export character
{
options -sourcedir models/mymodels/character -destdir models/md5/mymodels/character

mesh character.mb -dest character.md5mesh
anim idle.mb -dest idle.md5anim
}

The source directory is in:

C:\Doom3\base\models\mymodels\character

This folder contains:

character.mb

idle.mb

The destination directory is in:

C:\Doom3\base\models\md5\mymodels\character

So now I run the game and press ctrl+alt+` to bring up the console.

I enter the command: exportModels character.def

(I also tried the command 'fs_game' first, as suggested somewhere on the internet.)

The game sleeps for 1 seconds and then exits, no errors notified.

I believe the problem lies in the models, if possible, can anyone else try to convert them and see what is wrong? Here is a link to a dummy model that gives the problem: http://www.fileshost...hp?id=0BAB5D641

This should be about it. Thanks for your time :P

Kind regards,

Lascha

Edited by Lascha

The model is fine, I could export it and see it in-game (although it was black of course):

testmodel.jpg

Here's my test.def:

export character
{
options -sourcedir models/model_src -destdir models/model_src/test

mesh normalMesh_02.mb -dest character.md5mesh
anim Idle_02.mb -dest idle.md5anim
}

// For the testmodel command
model test
{
mesh models/model_src/test/character.md5mesh
channel torso ( *Spine_Dummy)
channel legs ( origin Pelvis Pelvis2 *Hips)

anim af_pose models/model_src/test/idle.md5anim
anim idle models/model_src/test/idle.md5anim
}

I'm using Maya 2009 though. I could load the .mb file you uploaded just fine, so I guess there is not much of a difference.

You can try to change the texture name of your model perhaps. Vanilla Doom 3 tries to convert the file path of the texture to a D3 material by cutting off paths, and maybe this fails for you. Use something like "textures/test.tga" to double-check.

Thanks for the reply. It's good to hear that the model works, makes the problem easier to find.

I have downloaded the "MayaImportx86.dll" for 2009, and replaced the 2010 by it. Then I set the environment variables to the maya2009 directory. I then tried to export to see if that would work, but it didn't. So it seems it's not maya version related since 2009 also causes the same problem. (For this I used the .def file you posted). I also made sure that the textures were correctly named, like you suggested, but this also did not help.

This brought me to wondering what version of doom3 you are using. Perhaps thats the problem?

Here is mine (version.inf) in C:\Doom3\

[Version Info]
ExtVersion=1.3
IntVersion=16.0
Language=255
Branch=0.0
QA=3735

[Product Info]
Platform=PC
Product=Doom 3

[Ereg Info]
Server=www.activision.com
StartLocation=/webreg/register/
Template=/webreg/register/user_env.asp?context=app
UPC=047875323773

Also, any idea where I could find the source code of the md5 exporter? Perhaps I can find the place where problem occurs by searching where the app is being terminated (after all, it suddenly exits after the export command).

Edited by Lascha

This brought me to wondering what version of doom3 you are using. Perhaps thats the problem?

I'd recommend patching your Doom 3 version to the latest (1.3.1.1304), there is a link on our wiki to that patch. It could well be the problem, I used the latest SDK from id.

Also, any idea where I could find the source code of the md5 exporter? Perhaps I can find the place where problem occurs by searching where the app is being terminated (after all, it suddenly exits after the export command).

The source code is contained in the D3 SDK, which you can download from www.iddevnet.com (http://www.iddevnet.com/doom3/downloads.php).

What a bummer... I have updated doom with the version from the wiki, but unfortunately that didn't help. I have also downloaded and installed dark mod, to see if it would perhaps work, but nope; game just exits after typing the command.

Went through the source code, it has pretty many places that return without an error message - no way for me to track it down unless I can debug it. That brings me to my next question: Is there a project available in which I can accomplish this?