The Dark Mod Forums

Quicksave/reload slowing down the mission ?

gnartsch

Hi !

I have some very frustrating problem with several missions running slow as hell.

The people on the regular forums say that this might be to to heavy use of quicksave/reload.

And I guess they are right.

Playing a mission and doing a lot of save and/or reload seems to 'corrupt' the savegame in such way

that the gameplay slows down and after a couple of more save/reload it is slow as hell and never recovers from it.

Is this a known problem and is there a fix to be expected with TDM 1.03 ?

The worst thing I actually have is a savegame of 'Glenham tower' which produces a constant 1 fps !

As playing was no longer reasonably possible, I had to start from scratch and then completed it without running into any low fps.

So, the problem is not due to graphics complexity in certain areas or something like that.

The tdm_console says :

SysQueue Event overflow

SysQueue Event overflow

SysQueue Event overflow

SysQueue Event overflow

SysQueue Event overflow

The savegame can be found here.

I am using TDM 1.02 on a Intel Celeron 3.2 GHz, 1 GB RAM, ATI X1300.

The performance in general is OK.

However, since maps are getting bigger and I use to save rather often, I happen to run into situations quite frequently where playing is no longer possible or simply unbearable.

Any ideas ?

Thanks !

Edited by gnartsch

Any ideas on this one ?

Do these slow downs happen due to frequent saving or due to frequent reloading ?

I might change my tactics in order to get around it, if I knew what exactly causes it.

Or just wait for TDM 1.03 or get a new rig.

Whatever happens first.

Right now I am not playing TDM at all anymore due to these issues.

The newer maps cause too many of these issues to me - probably because the map-sizes are growing.

Edited by gnartsch

Sorry, but nobody at the moment has time to test/debug this, and if v1.03 will help is unsure.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Any ideas on this one ?

Do these slow downs happen due to frequent saving or due to frequent reloading ?

I might change my tactics in order to get around it, if I knew what exactly causes it.

Or just wait for TDM 1.03 or get a new rig.

Whatever happens first.

Right now I am not playing TDM at all anymore due to these issues.

The newer maps cause too many of these issues to me - probably because the map-sizes are growing.

I tried your savegame and it freezes after about a minute every time I load it.

I loaded one of my saves for Glenham tower and it plays fine.

Now as for what causes it no idea.

I would suggest the old tried and true method that we did on dos and is still relevant IMO.

Uninstall and reinstall everything. By everything I mean Doom3 itself then the darkmod and finally the FM.

Then if it STILL does it perhaps someone can figure out why.

I haven't lost my mind. It's backed up on disk!

Oops bad sectors damn floppy's!

SysQueue Event overflow

SysQueue Event overflow

SysQueue Event overflow

Exterminate

Exterminate

That is almost certainly what causes it. Now to find out what this "SysQueue" is; and why the "Events" are stacked so high... ;)

I'll see if I can find reference in the sourcecode. Maybe a Google or two if that doesn't work...

ETA:

Well, I'm having fun, but who knows if I'm anywhere near the source of the source??

I'm off in game_network.cpp... Looking at things like:

/*
================
idGameLocal::SaveEntityNetworkEvent
================
*/
void idGameLocal::SaveEntityNetworkEvent( const idEntity *ent, int eventId, const idBitMsg *msg ) {
entityNetEvent_t *event;

event = savedEventQueue.Alloc();
event->spawnId = GetSpawnId( ent );
event->event = eventId;
event->time = time;
if ( msg ) {
	event->paramsSize = msg->GetSize();
	memcpy( event->paramsBuf, msg->GetData(), msg->GetSize() );
} else {
	event->paramsSize = 0;
}

savedEventQueue.Enqueue( event, idEventQueue::OUTOFORDER_IGNORE );
}

So, yeah... I've gone off on a tangent. Quite.

Edited by aidakeeley

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

I'm not much help with most of these techy problems sorry.

Presumably you have the latest update because you only joined in June. We have had reports of corrupt updates but I think that is only when an update only partially updates a previous install so if you started with 1.02 then in theory it should be OK. I only say this because it sounds like the problem from previous releases. I see 1.02 was released at the end of May so maybe you started before then and updated? If so I would wipe the lot and install again.

I can only suggest meanwhile make many name saves then as soon as you sense the problem reload from an earlier save that is OK. Use that script or exe file from the other forum to make that easier. If necessary, exit and relaunch and reload an earlier save.

Thanks guys for looking into it !

Unfortunately this rather that sort of problem that seems to creep slowly into my savegames.

Whenever you save (or reload ???) there is a chance that the mission will slow down a bit

and a couple of saves/reloads(?) later you start to realize that it is lamer then before.

At least it seems to me like this is the way it creeps into my system.

For that SysQueue Event stuff : I have this in GlenhamTower only.

Other missions show considerable slowdowns as well, but not that drastic.

However at least all the bigger missions do slow down after a while.

GlenhamTower is just the most significant manifestation of this issue I ever encountered.

Starting a mission from scratch helps already.

But then : why do I save at all ?

As for my install:

well, I *think* I got 1.01, but did not play anything with it.

Two days later 1.02 got released and I updated it.

In principle that should do it, but who knows ?

Next attempt I will try with a clean 1.02.

Due to some discussion from my side on the updater I have an entire fresh 1.02 already anyway.

Thanks !

Thanks guys for looking into it !

You could open a bug tracker entry (http://bugs.angua.at/my_view_page.php) and also attach there a savegame, if we can load it in the debugger or under a profiler, we can try to find out whats causing the problem. Its probably some sort of memory/resource leak, but that can be tricky to nail down.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 2 weeks later...
Hmmm ... I do wonder what it was. But it is gone now.

Well, at least I did not run into this issue again with a fresh 1.02.

How odd.

I have kept my config & install folder and just replaced all pk4's & zip's.

Seems like this helped.

Thanks a lot !